Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Lifespan of springs.

Page 1 of 1 1
Lifespan of springs.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/1/2006 8:27 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55
Lifespan of springs.

Spring condition was just brought up in a recent post. What are some opinions on the average lifespan of springs in a 460? Anyone have a definitive test procedure? I have felt like my rear is sagging sometimes with a heavy load in the back or hitched to a trailer but I wouldn't be suprised if I was just exceeding recommended loads.
Jonathan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/2/2006 12:19 AM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Lifespan of springs.

If you have an "86 GD then your springs (if stock) have been holding up a rather heavy truck for 20 years. I think they soften a bit but often the ends break because of the progressive construction. I changed my stock springs because I needed heavy duty load capability. The green stripe rears are boingy and smoosh fast with a load. If yours sagg with load but are OK unloaded it just may be because of their response to getting crushed with more weight than they like. Heavier duty springs that are MB stock have thicker wire construction and thinner progressive ends. Other manufactrurers use thicker coil wire top to bottom. Beware if you decide to change to heavier springs that you will get lift that will change the driveshaft angles and may induce vibration issues in the 460 series. There are also other impacts to the suspension if the springs are changed in the rear. The ride will be harsher and the front spring may have to also be changed to even out the ride height unless funny car styling is your thing. Stiffer springs will improve handling but will reduce axle articulation a bit. Personally I could not live with the stock suspension so I went to heavy duty MB springs that gave a lot of load capacity. Still have not solved the vibe issues in the front that the spring changed caused but I will. Don't stack so many sacks of concrete ready mix in there.

-Dai
#55032 - in reply to #54986
Author
Posted 12/2/2006 7:14 AM

Vehicle(s):
RE: Lifespan of springs.

Dai, what heavy duty springs did you buy? The original MB springs from the tables with other colour codes or some of the the later, and some stiffer, 463 springs? There are also some special MB Geländewagen heavy duty springs for hard driving or heavy vehicles etc, these are special orders and only fitted to some top of the line GWs, AMG etc. Then there are aftermaket spings?

I mounted original MB 3-stroke yellow-orange springs on the front and back and had no vibrations. My previous springs was 2-yellow and 3-green. I have a short 300GD that get steeper angles on the backward axle. The springs works great even for the shorter, lighter vehicle, got a slight lift of about 2,0 cm and I can drive much harder off-road. When problems with reduced articulation can be solved with GW's diff-locs.

You have probably checked the U-links if you are on original MB springs with vibrations, also axles/bearings in/out of transmissions? If you have springs with an evident lift, double U-links, CV-links, as on 463, or experimenting with another off-set angle on the cardan axles might be the solution (might need to dig into matematics then) Vibrations can anyhow be a mystic on the GW's.

(Beach2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Beach2.jpg (98KB - 10 downloads)
#55073 - in reply to #54986
Author
Posted 12/2/2006 1:31 PM
dai
Expert

460332 - 12/2/2006 4:14 AM

Dai, what heavy duty springs did you buy? The original MB springs from the tables with other colour codes or some of the the later, and some stiffer, 463 springs? There are also some special MB Geländewagen heavy duty springs for hard driving or heavy vehicles etc, these are special orders and only fitted to some top of the line GWs, AMG etc. Then there are aftermaket spings?

I mounted original MB 3-stroke yellow-orange springs on the front and back and had no vibrations. My previous springs was 2-yellow and 3-green. I have a short 300GD that get steeper angles on the backward axle. The springs works great even for the shorter, lighter vehicle, got a slight lift of about 2,0 cm and I can drive much harder off-road. When problems with reduced articulation can be solved with GW's diff-locs.

You have probably checked the U-links if you are on original MB springs with vibrations, also axles/bearings in/out of transmissions? If you have springs with an evident lift, double U-links, CV-links, as on 463, or experimenting with another off-set angle on the cardan axles might be the solution (might need to dig into matematics then) Vibrations can anyhow be a mystic on the GW's.

I bought "lilac" one stripe rears (463) springs and "white" three stripe fronts. The SWB truck weighs less than the LWB trucks but the combination lifted the truck 70mm, about what the spring charts said they would. The problem is that normal is hard to determine. What do you measure to know what the correct body height is with new stock springs? I had OEM green stripe in the rear and I measured from the ground to the center of the rubber strip on the side of the truck.

I solved the rear vibration problem by having a double cardan end driveshaft made up. That and I made an adjustment in the rear axle angle. The rear shaft in a SWB diesel truck is extremely short because there is a damper unit hanging off the T case so the rear shaft has a pretty extreme angle. I got it to run smooth.

The problem with the front I have not yet had the money to tackle. The lift caused the axle to rotate in a way that puts severe angle on the U Joint. I think the proper solution will be to buy the brackets that are used on the Canadian army G's that drop the control arms down which would twist the axle back to a correct orientation. My truck has 0 caster so it wants to wander around on the road. The drop of the control arm link at the frame would also dial back in some needed caster. This has been a long process that has been interrupted with other issues that needed money sprinkled on them. Rust. Transmission/clutch. T-Case. I look forward to getting this problem solved. I really like the spring choices. I can toss a lot of weight in the back and the truck handles through curves beautifully. Every modification from stock seems to have consequences that need to be addressed. I find this machine very fun to work on and think about.

-Dai

Edited by dai 12/2/2006 1:33 PM
#55111 - in reply to #55073
Author
Posted 12/3/2006 1:42 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

Is this maybe of help?
From previous postings, here is the diagram and rating of the available MB 460 springs.

My truck is fitted with "white-white" front and back and very happy with the handling.

amzimmy

(FrontSpring (600 x 380).jpg)

(RrearSprings (600 x 373).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments FrontSpring (600 x 380).jpg (58KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments RrearSprings (600 x 373).jpg (62KB - 13 downloads)
#55269 - in reply to #55073
Author
Posted 12/3/2006 3:33 AM
kerry460
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 1984 300GD LWB WAGEN

G,,day , to 460332, love the photo ,but its not quite (G)od , its rumored he could walk on water . i think you are cheating you are on the bottom .lol ,kerry.
#55273 - in reply to #54986
Author
Posted 12/3/2006 8:07 AM

Vehicle(s):

Yes, 3-white and 1-lilac are stiff springs!! I thought I was brave to try out yellow-orange without any
experience. I am happy with the springs, don't carry much load.

Dropping the control arm link must be the best way to go, do you move it a bit forward too,
assuming they move in a circle? Is that what you did on the rear too? Do you have any mounting details
from the Canadian vehicles? I am glad someone here have experience
with the stiff springs, caster adjustments and double links as a future reference. :o)

It would be interesting with some pictures of what the car looks like?

(Kerry460, my vehicle is (G)od, it was a demo vehicle at the main Daimler-Benz office in Stuttgart in 1984-85!)

Edited by 460332 12/3/2006 8:17 AM
#55285 - in reply to #54986
Author
Posted 12/3/2006 2:16 PM
dai
Expert

460332 - 12/3/2006 5:07 AM

Yes, 3-white and 1-lilac are stiff springs!! I thought I was brave to try out yellow-orange without any
experience. I am happy with the springs, don't carry much load.

Dropping the control arm link must be the best way to go, do you move it a bit forward too,
assuming they move in a circle? Is that what you did on the rear too? Do you have any mounting details
from the Canadian vehicles? I am glad someone here have experience
with the stiff springs, caster adjustments and double links as a future reference. :o)

It would be interesting with some pictures of what the car looks like?

(Kerry460, my vehicle is (G)od, it was a demo vehicle at the main Daimler-Benz office in Stuttgart in 1984-85!)

Here a a couple of images of the truck empty with this spring set.

-Dai

(P1000447.JPG)

(P1000443.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1000447.JPG (511KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments P1000443.JPG (513KB - 11 downloads)
#55325 - in reply to #55285
Author
Posted 12/3/2006 3:33 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Thanks everyone for the imput.
Dai what kind of weight do you put in the back of your truck? Usually when I am hauling stuff in the back I'm the only passenger or maybe one other in the front. I don't go offroad much and I like the handling on the road the way it is. I suspect stock springs are the way for me to go. It seems like 600-800 pounds in the back should be a fair trade for the four or five passengers that could be sitting there. Needless to say I try to get whatever the load is over or forward of the axle.
Jonathan
#55337 - in reply to #54986
Author
Posted 12/3/2006 3:53 PM
dai
Expert

I frequently haul a half a pallet of wine in there (28 cases) to go to a shipper or haul for our local market. That is around a half a ton. The rear green stock springs really cave in fast with much of a load and I didn't like the body roll. I also haul spray materials like bags of sulfur and rolls of wire etc. My springs were original and probably had lost some of there oomph over all these years. Consider just one step up if you are going to replace them. If you look at the spring curves that Amzimmy posted you will see the advantages. Go across the bottom axis to around 4500 (the load on each spring roughly) and go up the chart. The springs above the green stripe rears are much more flat with additional load. I went for the Uber spring set up because I got a great deal on them and I could use the load capability often. I just didn't want the lift. On the LWB trucks the lift with the whites doesn't seem to be as extreme. That is what Amzimmy has on his SWB and Dave G has on is LWB I think.

-Dai
#55341 - in reply to #55337
Author
Posted 12/3/2006 8:44 PM
dai
Expert

Found a couple of images of the Canadian G control/trailing arm mounts. They are dropped much lower than the stock G mounts. It will involve cutting the old mounts off and welding the new ones in their place. I also will use Offset bushings in the rear to get things perfect on my truck. My plan is to use the lowered mounts only in front because I pretty much solved the rear on my truck. Also the lowered mounts seem to me to be more vulnerable to damage in the rear.

-Dai

(IMG_3394.JPG)

(IMG_3396.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3394.JPG (170KB - 12 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3396.JPG (126KB - 12 downloads)
#55369 - in reply to #55285
Author
Posted 12/3/2006 10:18 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Just a few more thoughts/questions:

I'm still not sure how to tell if my current stock springs are weak, do you think there would be measureable height differance at rest with no load other than the truck's own weight? If they are weak then maybe I'll be happy with new stock ones.
If I'm reading the chart right it looks like the white springs would result in a lift of about 60mm over the stock green ones, is this right?
I'm attracted to the stiffer springs for the added capacity and better handling but as I do alot of highway speed driving I'm concerned about the effect on the driveshafts. I don't really want to get into the kind of mods that Dai is talking about. Will that 60mm affect the drivetrain enough to be concerned?
Jonathan
#55376 - in reply to #54986
Author
Posted 12/3/2006 10:55 PM
dai
Expert

I don't know how to answer the question of the old stock springs repaced with new ones. I think I would recommend the yellow/orange combo front and rear; around 40mm of lift which should not be a problem. Less than 2". That would buy you better handling and a bit more load capacity. 460332 did that. Try communicating with him about his result. What lift will do I think will be different with each truck. Some drivelines develop a "set" to the wear pattern on the U-Joints and much of a deviation will set up vibration. A smaller change will be a safer change. A SWB will be affected much more than a LWB because the rear shaft is much shorter. So a LWB machine can probably handle more lift before vibration issues set in. And clearly the 460 machines are more sensitive then the 463 chassis. Totally different driveline geometry. The path I went down caused unexpected challenges but I would not return to the stock springs ever. I wish that I could have these spring capabilities without a lot of lift. Go for something better than stock without jacking it too much is my advice.

-Dai

Edited by dai 12/3/2006 10:58 PM
#55380 - in reply to #55376
Author
Posted 12/4/2006 2:46 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Jonathan Joseph - 12/3/2006 4:18 AM

Just a few more thoughts/questions:

I'm still not sure how to tell if my current stock springs are weak, do you think there would be measureable height differance at rest with no load other than the truck's own weight? If they are weak then maybe I'll be happy with new stock ones.
If I'm reading the chart right it looks like the white springs would result in a lift of about 60mm over the stock green ones, is this right?
I'm attracted to the stiffer springs for the added capacity and better handling but as I do alot of highway speed driving I'm concerned about the effect on the driveshafts. I don't really want to get into the kind of mods that Dai is talking about. Will that 60mm affect the drivetrain enough to be concerned?
Jonathan

Jonathan,
as previously mentioned, I have fitted the "white-white" spring set on my G (SWB 300GD 1981 460 mod) it has raised the vehicle by about 60mm, that is however relative to the load of the vehicle, that is, I can't honestly say how much the actual measurement is without load since I have a constant additional load of 100lt water tank, an extra 110lt diesel tank, camping and storage facilities (see pick).

(Pick1 is with standard springs, Pick 2 is with New spring set)

I could not find better picks to compair the two settings but definitively it has given me a better ride, harder and even in cornering a lesser roll action.
There was no additional changes done to the driveshafts settings etc, the only thing that I have done is loosen the T-Case and re-aligned with the new setting. I don't know precisely if that does help or not but I was advised to do this.

Hope I have been of help,

amzimmy

(Botswana 17.JPG)

(Muffetta 27 (600 x 450).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Botswana 17.JPG (183KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments Muffetta 27 (600 x 450).jpg (83KB - 7 downloads)
#55404 - in reply to #55376
Author
Posted 12/4/2006 5:29 AM

Vehicle(s):

Dai, great pictures and inputs, good to see that someone use the G as a work horse!

Jonathan, the chart amzimmy posted are for 2-stroke springs.
If you choose 3-stroke spring they are stiffer, i.e., each colour-code
has three different springs:

1-stroke: Soft (50)
2-Stroke: Medium (51)
3-Stroke: Hard (52)

As you see from the graph the rear ones are progressive springs,
more expensive too, here in europe they are like US$ 250,- each!

The difference between each stroke is between 1,6% -3%. These selections is to change as MB
will produce fewer spare parts for old cars! The springs are sorted at the factory due to
differences in production tolerances, as they did earlier with the W models. Call your dealer and
ask what he can order, don't as what's available, they have to check what they can order!!!

All recommendation says: Do NOT use standard springs, they are too soft, or they will be too soft.
After the springs have "settled" they will be shorter too.

If you still buy the standard springs, you could do a 1" bodylift.
Brown at front and yellow at rear is another soft combination, no lift, but I wouldn't try yellow and
green... The green also brake, the progressive springs are thinner at the ends. Don't forget to order
new silicone tubes to the top and bottom of the new rear springs. Mount them with grease.

I have a SWB, if you have a LWB the yellow-orange will just make your car more comfortable
than mine. There are no issues with the axles/vibrations with these springs, assuming your U-links,
etc are OK. The lift was probably 20-30mm, thats moderat.

If you never have load or passengers and want a smoot ride where you cannot feel any small bumps
or shakes, buy the standard springs, but as I said; I was surprised by the comfort, strength and the
small lift of the 3-stroke yellow-orange on my SWB. I didn't do any before-after measurements, the
green ones I had on were not broken but the car was sagging. Here you see the final result:

(GW33.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments GW33.jpg (84KB - 8 downloads)
#55420 - in reply to #54986
Author
Posted 12/5/2006 1:04 AM
dai
Expert

Amzimmy, next time you come to visit will you help me organize my garage/workshop? What you have managed to fit into/onto a SWB G is absolutely amazing. Amzimazing.

-Mr Chaos

460332, great looking truck and a vehicle certainly deserving of the star on the hood.

-Dai

Edited by dai 12/5/2006 1:12 AM
#55805 - in reply to #55404
Author
Posted 12/5/2006 2:37 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

dai - 12/4/2006 7:04 AM

Amzimmy, next time you come to visit will you help me organize my garage/workshop? What you have managed to fit into/onto a SWB G is absolutely amazing. Amzimazing.

-Mr Chaos

460332, great looking truck and a vehicle certainly deserving of the star on the hood.

-Dai

Thanks Dai, it will certainly be an honour to help you out in the "outfit" (as an architect I like good planning!)..... and I am sure that there will be no problem in "lubricating" my thirst with good wine!

Actually, the outcome of THIS outfit, is that I am rather "lazy" when it comes to packing and unpacking in a camping situation. With my setup I just have to open the doors, open the tent, take out the chairs & table, sit down have my "sun-downer" served and I enjoy the view.....while everyone else is unpacking boxes, ground sheet, kimbing up ladders etc etc etc ........what more do you want out of comodity?

BTW, returning to the springs, 2 or 3 strokes (white), I had the fortune to try both sets for testing, the 3 strokes are definitively too hard for the front, if you hit a gully or a hump the vehicle will be airborne and on uneven road surface/corrugations on dirt roads the vehicle start to "swim", since most of the load is on the back axle (unless you have one of these "monster" winches) the front springs on 2 strokes are working well.
If you notice the front spring compression is uniform against the back one which are on an "progressive" factor.

At the back the 3 strokes are working fine if you have a constant "load", when "empty" the vehicle definitively swaves on uneven surface, however, my clever mechanik has found a solution to that, he has fitted an inside spring within the original 2 stroke so to support the additional weight without reducing the flexibility of the original spring. (see pick)

I must add to this matter that, it is of major importance that what ever spring strength you use you HAVE to have the accordingly rated shocks for the springs to work safely. You could be driving in a dangerous situation if you have hard springs and soft shocks!

I don't know if I make myself clear.

amzimmy

Edited by amzimmy 12/5/2006 2:52 AM

(Rear spring 2_WEB (450 x 600).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Rear spring 2_WEB (450 x 600).jpg (71KB - 8 downloads)
#55821 - in reply to #55805
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1