Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : So I finaly did it!

Page 3 of 3 123
So I finaly did it!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/25/2007 3:33 AM
hus55
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GDS, G300 LONG,300GDT CLK55 AMG CAB.
Re: So I finaly did it!

hi lasse,i have only just caught up with your thread.welcome and good luck with your project.i own an immaculate cabrio in n-cyprus with zero rust but the sun got to it in places.It was originally a 230GE with a 4speed manual.
i have done ewxtensive work to refreshen it up and was inspired by the slk seats in inkblotz cabrio to change mine too.(cheers!!)
i had a set of recaros fitted which i brought for £120 off ebay and they were a TIGHT FIT but now fitted completely transforms the driving experience!!i also got the rear seat which all came out of a rover 820,and the rears i think can be modified to fit on the original rear bench seat!(thats another idea i have so the materials all match up.

as for the steering wheel i fitted a leather one out of a w124,perfect fit and again a driving improvement.

as for the engine,i fitted a 124 300D and was adviced to keep the 4 speed manual and i am glad i did.its a strong box and the set up was easy.it hits 80mph with ease and hits 50/60 in third up the kyrenia mountain pass nicely.(my 82 model 300GD struggled 45mph)

keep us updated with pix my friend. i was late doing that and regret it now.

#60488 - in reply to #60016
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/25/2007 9:13 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: So I finaly did it!

Yes, do some searching.  Check out the G-tech section at www.clubgwagen.com for the heater fan changing process (budget 2 days).  Don't worry about the 617A sump, it is subsantially identical to the G sump in oil management.  Any angle the 617 will take, the 617A will too.  As far as choosing between the turbocharged engine as designed by MB (617A) vs as set up by someone else, I chose the former due to the extensive changes MB made to the 617 engine to suit the turbo.  They had at their disposal the ability to make changes like crankshaft hardening and piston oil-cooling, that an aftermarket supplier simply couldn't do, and MB chose to make those modifications to make the engine all it could be.  Search around a little (I hope you're able to have success with that now) both here and on the other forum there are LOTS of posts about the pros and cons of each way of aproaching the turbo question.

All the best,

-Dave G.

#60520 - in reply to #60341
Author
Posted 1/25/2007 11:17 AM
hus55
Expert

hi dave G, YOU ARE 100% RIGHT!!

the 617a is the best option and if i had a choice thats the one i would have gone for.but who knows,i may stumble onto one someday!!

labour in n-cyprus is low.
#60532 - in reply to #60016
Author
Posted 1/25/2007 12:32 PM
hus55
Expert

my interior,exterior,engine conversion;

(IMG_0718.jpg)

(IMG_0720.jpg)

(IMG_0936.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0718.jpg (67KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0720.jpg (66KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0936.jpg (74KB - 3 downloads)
#60539 - in reply to #60016
Author
Posted 1/25/2007 1:29 PM
adde 4x4

Date registered: Dec 1899

Hi!

My brother is having a Range Rover with a volvo turbodiesel in, it is a strait 6 and from the beginning of 1970.
RR was converted to mainly 2 different diesels, the volvo TD24 and mercedes 300D.
The volvo engine has less power then 617A and is bigger and heavier and harder (even in Sweden) to find parts/information for.
I think he is planing to steel one of mine 617 diesels and a turbo kit (but you can´t blame him for wanting a little quality in his Rover) to caging out the TD24.
The mercedes diesel is easier to work with an you don´t get all the weight in the front of the car.
If you are going to drive offroad and maiby is getting a winch on the car you want so little weight as possible in front of the front axle. So keep the 5-cyl diesel.
I am moving the battery to behind the front seats for better weight distribution

I am trying to put a turbo in my 300GD-79 and do a total restoration. here is some pics

If you want to talk mud/big tiers and G-wagens call me

Andreas

(IMG_0421.JPG)

(IMG_1803.jpg)

(IMG_2220.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0421.JPG (101KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1803.jpg (150KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2220.jpg (186KB - 4 downloads)
#60543 - in reply to #60016
Author
Posted 1/25/2007 3:11 PM
hus55
Expert

big project andreas,wish i had the knowledge to do that!!!
#60550 - in reply to #60016
Author
Posted 1/25/2007 4:39 PM
adde 4x4

Date registered: Dec 1899

Me to

This is my first G and I have driven it maybe 10 times including the 1000km ride home from the seller.
After some offroading i new i had to get it higher to avoid rubbing and the project just keep getting bigger and bigger.

I am learning all the time.
but i am lucky to have good help and comany

(namnlös.JPG)

(G 015.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments namnlös.JPG (45KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments G 015.JPG (59KB - 3 downloads)
#60570 - in reply to #60016
Author
Posted 1/30/2007 7:27 PM
Lasse_Basse

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes 300 GD 1982

Wow, this tread really came to life.

Sorry that I haven’t been able to post here for a couple of days.

So a little update, I went in to the vehicle inspection the past week and where given remarks on the hand brake only taking on one wheel, the regular brakes in the rear where uneven, the stay between the rear axle and the loading recognition valve where missing.

So this weekend I have picked up some parts, the “old lady” will eventually be shown to the Swedish motor vehicle inspection company again to finally get her approved.

I have managed to find another car (a 280 GE) where the engine has been replaced with a six cylinder 300 diesel. This car is like the other on registered as the low-taxed “light truck-classification” with dispensation for passengers (se the pictures).

The other car is in better shape (in the doors from a rust point), it has a five speed gearbox, Recaro seats are mounted, the large roof rack among other things, nice aluminum rims. The old man asks 15´000 SEK (which is aprox 2000 $), I guess it could be even cheaper after some convincing talk. The car has an unprecise gear positions and kicks out the fifth gear when driving. I guess this is because some bussing are bad. Anyway I plan to buy this car and store it at a friends farm. We plan to move on the country side where two good 4 wheel drives will be necessary to be able drive trough the snow, so first drive the red one to Lituania and the other car when the first one is fixed.

More, the hydralic pipes are rusty and will be replaced. The car is amazingly not rusty at all underneath. I have bought new door sprints and some replacement plates today. (se picture).

Fenalaar - 1/24/2007 7:15 PM

The only 5-speed manuals that I've hear of that's been put in the G is the 5-speed from Getrag that originally was offered in the car. This gearbox has issues that probably will cause it to fail. The gearbox from some of the vans have been used. This is a stronger box, and works ok.

Johan, I have heard of a lot of G-cars that has a five speed gear box originally mounted. I have heard that gearboxes from the Mercedes Sprinter has been used to replace the original.

FenalaarLubrication can be a problem if you take the W123 engine and put it in the G and use it in exteme angles, since the sump construction is a little bit different. Also, with the original sump on the W123, it gets to be a little tight fit underneath the engine. I wouldn't quibble about the sump, since I'd probably be scared shitless long befor I got to the extreme angles where the lubrication may fail...

Most likely true about the part being “scare shitless part”, but anyway, couldn’t the sump from the old engine be used or the one from the passenger car be modified? I have been driving a Toyota 4wd over Island once and know the conditions can be tuff for an engine when practicing hill climbing.

Jonathan Joseph - 1/24/2007 7:21 PMI have a 75hp Volvo diesel in my boat which is based on an Indenor block. I'm sure our European friends will recognize Indenor, a Belgian friend of mine had the same engine in his Ford Scorpio sedan in Belgium. Parts are expensive in the US but about as bulletproof an engine as there is. I've always wondered about fitting a heavy duty marine engine to a car or vice-versa. Anyone know of a good resource for engine dimensions, ( all the things you would need to know to do a transplant) Mounts can be easily customized but I imagine mating up to transmissions is going to be the hard part.
Jonathan

Jonathan, a marine engine would be nice, but my experience is that these engines are extremely expensive and so are the parts, but it would nice, that’s true.

Bill K - 1/25/2007 2:50 AM

I haven’t made up my mind yet. I appreciate your advise in the issue, if you are interested, I can show you the care before and after I have had it restored in Lituantia. Perhaps it can be a solution for you as well.

Sounds like something I have been concidering. I have a line on a place in Latvia http://bilrep.vipauto.no/index.html
, was looking into other Countries as well.

Do you have a web address for the place in Lituantia?

Best of luck

Thank you Bill for the web link of the company in Latvia. I think they seem to be expensive though, but I guess foreigners as you and I are willing to pay more than the local population are. I have in the past been given a price of 1´000 € + actual cost of paint for a complete paint job. I don’t have the address yet.

A friend of mine has a construction company within Sweden and he has more than 20 guys employed from the Baltic region, I asked him to check with his guys to if they have anyone that the could recommend and he promised me to do that to, so eventually I hope to find the guys to leave my car to.

I hope that I can have the car fixed (paint + rust job) for 1´500 €, this plus material.

The guy i know, and that I have asked gave me these prices.
The price examples I have been given are what the take as a large workshop from their official price list. What I hope for is that some of them could do the job at the side.

250 lt= 80 eur,for one piece.Roof and engine (capot) for400lt=120eur+colors price.Prices for job: 1 hour 50lt=14 eur.~min 100 eur at day.

I will keep the thread updated how it progresses.

hus55, lovely pictures of a neat car in excellent condition. Thank you for the tip of the w124 steering wheel, that are one of the things that I will change. Did you connect the horn in the wheel as well or did you keep the button?

Hipine, I have registered my self at clubwagen and look in to the threads there eventually.

adde 4x4/Andreas, nice project you have going there. Do you use the original Mercedes turbo from the w123 or an conversion kit. Can you keep us updated if it where any issues converting?

(MB-G.JPG)

(MB-G_BAKDÖRR.JPG)

(MB-GE.JPG)

(MB-GEL.JPG)

(MB-GELE.JPG)

(MB-GELEND.JPG)

(IMG_2574.JPG)

(IMG_2564.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MB-G.JPG (678KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments MB-G_BAKDÖRR.JPG (492KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments MB-GE.JPG (779KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments MB-GEL.JPG (616KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments MB-GELE.JPG (769KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments MB-GELEND.JPG (752KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2574.JPG (434KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2564.JPG (345KB - 3 downloads)
#61261 - in reply to #60016
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 3:20 AM
hus55
Expert

hi lasse,the wheel went straight on and the horn works without modifications.

i changed the wheel on my recent purchase(280 GEL ,pics in the album listing).it was a non leather 16 " wheel that touched my thighs when geting in and out.i replaced it last week with the same model but in 15" diameter and leather trim off ebay for silly money AND EVEN MY WIFE SAID STEERRING FELT BETTER!!!

WHY??,SHE THEN ASKED......

HAVE YOU BEEN SPENDING MORE MONEY AGAIN...................!!
#61289 - in reply to #60016
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 3 of 3 123