Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Already need a new paint job

Page 1 of 1 1
Already need a new paint job
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/30/2007 6:10 PM
Maxwell Smart

Date registered: Dec 1899
Already need a new paint job

Grrrrrrr. The new G is only days old and already needs the paint redone.

A warning to all.

I drove in to Paris and was told park in a garage as you will get your tires slashed if you park a G on the street. (A few years ago the French tried to ban all 4x4s - the G was at the very top of the list). So I follow the advice and duly find a garage that says 1.9m clearance. No problem I say to myself as I enter the garage going faster than I probably should but knowing that my G is only 1.83m high.... big mistake. The 1.9m was measured vertically and didn't take into account the fact that when the rear wheels are still on the ramp your G suddenly becomes quite a bit higher than 1.9m....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/30/2007 6:18 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Already need a new paint job

Bummer! I have the same problem with my garage at home, which has a steep incline up to the garage door. Driving forward into it is no problem. I tried to back into it once. Never more!
#61250 - in reply to #61249
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 5:27 AM
Maxwell Smart

DUTCH - 1/30/2007 11:18 PM

Bummer! I have the same problem with my garage at home, which has a steep incline up to the garage door. Driving forward into it is no problem. I tried to back into it once. Never more!

Ouch then you have the unfortunate problem in that not only are you damaging your G but your garage as well!
#61297 - in reply to #61250
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 5:44 AM
VonEpp
W124 Host

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle(s): w114, w124 & w460
Re: Already need a new paint job

I dare say this is a common problem - same/similar story, G fits in the garage ok but when I decided to park it out the front under then nice shady trees (where I used to park my old car if I was just ducking in) . . . . scratch scratch scratch right down the roof. As it was fresh black paint too it really shows up well.

Lucky no one I know is tall enough to be able to see the roof of a G-wagen on 33" tires.
#61301 - in reply to #61249
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 6:12 AM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

Sorry to hear that I know a guy who has his own little work shop and a really smart G that fits in with an inch clear, he recently had his G in the work shop to fit lifted springs bigger rims tyres etc, and yes you guessed it.

Edited by roughneck 1/31/2007 6:15 AM
#61304 - in reply to #61249
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 11:19 AM
Container
Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 1998 G500L, 1994 E36 AMG Coupé, 2007 E500T 4-matic

My G500 is 195 cm and my old 280 GE was the same. Problems in garages are usually signs and lights that is hanging much lower, sometimes also ventilations. If I do not close down the sunroof hatch, it will hit 2 meters...
#61323 - in reply to #61249
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 12:25 PM
TheDogsCar
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '05 G55K Firemist Red - Stolen

A slight variation on the theme ...

I was staying in LA and parking my G in the hotel's garage. There was a very steep ramp down when you entered the garage. The first time I parked there, I repeatedly asked the Attendant if the garage clearance was high enough. He told me, "numerous Jeeps have parked here" ... and without getting into an argument about this is not being a 'Jeep', he guided my car in. When I left, he did the same. I thought, 'Great, free parking' ... and let him park it after that.

After a few days of coming and going, I called down to have my car brought up ...as the G went up the ramp, I heard a heart stopping screeching noise. I assumed he hit the side of the car on the way out ... turns out he had flipped 'up' the Sun Roof to "air it out for me". That extra inch or two was all it took ... luckily, when the Sun Roof is up, it is held up by a spring, so when it hit the "Maximum Clearance" sign (ironic ... lol), it scratched the paint, but didn't dent the metal.
#61328 - in reply to #61250
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 12:34 PM
Maxwell Smart

TheDogsCar - 1/31/2007 5:25 PM
... turns out he had flipped 'up' the Sun Roof to "air it out for me". That extra inch or two was all it took ... luckily, when the Sun Roof is up, it is held up by a spring, so when it hit the "Maximum Clearance" sign (ironic ... lol), it scratched the paint, but didn't dent the metal.

Did that one too but with my older G. Don't know why those Max Headroom (remember him?) signs aren't soft/flexible to somehow not damage your car rather than solid steel bars... the one they use to check your height before boarding the EuroTunnel is a much more sensible piece of stiff rubber.

I've also entered the garage forgetting that I had my racing bike on the roof of my car once. Damaged the garage and rack but not the bike... but perhaps I shouldn't admit to such stupidity lest you all get the wrong idea about me....
#61329 - in reply to #61328
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 12:43 PM
TheDogsCar
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '05 G55K Firemist Red - Stolen

Maxwell Smart - 1/31/2007 12:34 PM

TheDogsCar - 1/31/2007 5:25 PM
... turns out he had flipped 'up' the Sun Roof to "air it out for me". That extra inch or two was all it took ... luckily, when the Sun Roof is up, it is held up by a spring, so when it hit the "Maximum Clearance" sign (ironic ... lol), it scratched the paint, but didn't dent the metal.

Did that one too but with my older G. Don't know why those Max Headroom (remember him?) signs aren't soft/flexible to somehow not damage your car rather than solid steel bars... the one they use to check your height before boarding the EuroTunnel is a much more sensible piece of stiff rubber.

"Max Headroom" was that computerized talking head ... and I agree, 'Max Clearance' signs should be padded or plastic bars hung by chains. Would save a lot in accidental roof and garage damage
#61331 - in reply to #61329
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 12:46 PM
Maxwell Smart

TheDogsCar - 1/31/2007 5:43 PM
"Max Headroom" was that computerized talking head ... and I agree, 'Max Clearance' signs should be padded or plastic bars hung by chains. Would save a lot in accidental roof and garage damage :banghead:

Some places it says Max Headroom and that's actually where they got the name for the character from.
#61332 - in reply to #61331
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 1:14 PM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

Max you suggested my new name should be plushneck. now what will yours be, Maxwell Headroom, surley
#61335 - in reply to #61249
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1