Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Differential Gear Change.....changes

Page 1 of 1 1
Differential Gear Change.....changes
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 1:26 PM
fernweh

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
Differential Gear Change.....changes

Martin,

when I change the gears to 1:5.28 in my 91 300GE we run into problems with the shaft seals. The EPC shows two seals but both were not available any longer. I can't find the pictures anymore, but Eurotruck found the right one - both are now combined into one single unit!

Also using new factory parts, the shaft details are just a bit different than the old ones - I had to use a new 'updated' crush sleeve..... see the picture.

Karl

(IMG_2033.JPG)

(IMG_2035.JPG)

(IMG_2040.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2033.JPG (80KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2035.JPG (90KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2040.JPG (77KB - 3 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 4:48 PM
martin
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 99 G500 95 E300D 95 R1100GS 06 K1200R
RE: Differential Gear Change.....changes

Just in case other forum members are wondering what this is about ...

I asked Karl about the work he recently did when he changed the differential gearing in his truck. I just bought a 1984 280GE with stock gearing, stock tire size and a 5 speed transmission. I want to run larger tires, probably 33x10.50R15 on the original 15" alloys. The 5.88 ratio calculates to be the best solution, but I have a set of 6.17 gears.

(copied from Harald's 4WD site ... "As a rule of thumb you can expect to lose about 3.5% of torque/gear ratio for every inch of tire size increase.")

33" tire - 28" tire = 5" increase x 3.5% = 17.5% loss
4.88 gear x .175 = .854 + 4.88 = 5.734 ratio ... closest available ratio is 5.88:1

So I'm researching the advantages and associated costs of changing the gearing. I also need to assemble a parts list of what I'll need. Any help with compiling the list will help!

Seems as though several members here and quite a few from the MB forum (some have migrated here) have done this swap with good results.

Thanks. Martin
#61350 - in reply to #61338
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 5:44 PM
fernweh

Martin,
I had the 4.33 gears in my G-wagen and after going to the 33" tires, I lost so much torque that my automatic transmission was shifting constantly.
Now with the change to 5.28 the G has enough power to take off in "D", acceleration is not bad, doing 65m/hr at 4000rpm - that's getting me around 4,8927Miles/Gallon
The low range (Gelaendegang) performance is just great - but with the larger tires I'm increasing the stress/torque load on all drivetrain members!

Karl
#61357 - in reply to #61350
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 6:52 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

.....but with the larger tires I'm increasing the stress/torque load on all drivetrain members! Karl

Actually Karl, by changing the diff gears to suit the tires, you're minimizing drive line impact.  If the tire size difference is immediately offset by a diff gear change, the loads on all drive line members upstream of the diffs are very close to just as they were before the changes.  That's why you got your transmission performnace back to normal with the gear change.

This is a very responsible approach to the desire for larger tires in my opinion.

About the only things that see a higher load now are the axle shaft components and the brakes.

-Dave G.

#61361 - in reply to #61357
Author
Posted 1/31/2007 6:57 PM
fernweh

hipine - 1/31/2007 3:52 PM

.....but with the larger tires I'm increasing the stress/torque load on all drivetrain members! Karl

Actually Karl, by changing the diff gears to suit the tires, you're minimizing drive line impact. If the tire size difference is immediately offset by a diff gear change, the loads on all drive line members upstream of the diffs are very close to just as they were before the changes. That's why you got your transmission performnace back to normal with the gear change.

This is a very responsible approach to the desire for larger tires in my opinion.

About the only things that see a higher load now are the axle shaft components and the brakes.

-Dave G.

Yes, you are right Dave, the increased load is on everything past the new diff gears on the front and rear axles.

Karl
#61362 - in reply to #61361
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1