Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Updated Photos - DeathValley Trip - no password!

Page 1 of 1 1
Updated Photos - DeathValley Trip - no password!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/7/2007 4:20 PM
fernweh

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
Updated Photos - DeathValley Trip - no password!

Here are some photos from our trip into the Death Vally guided by our friend Alan.

Please check the pics at :

http://featheredlens.smugmug.com/gallery/2444250

You see some beautiful vistas, old mining camps, tight canyons, Charlie Manson's last home before prison and a few G-shots.....

It surely was a great adventure, would like to see more of you beeing part of the next trip, yes Klaus, we know you are a bit away but there will be a time.......

Thanks for looking at the pictures, enjoy!!!

Karl

Edited by fernweh 2/7/2007 4:27 PM

(IMG_3074.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3074.jpg (15KB - 3 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/9/2007 12:55 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Re: Updated Photos - DeathValley Trip - no password!

Those were nice pictures Karl. They sure brought some warmth to a cold day today. I enjoyed those. Thanks.
#62491 - in reply to #62153
Author
Posted 2/11/2007 10:28 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
RE: Updated Photos - DeathValley Trip - no password!

Somebody please pass the salt... the cracks you see in the surface are in 2" thick slabs of salt.

Yeah, there's some interesting pictures of us getting stuck in the mud there... a couple of times in fact. The rain over the last week did a good job of washing things off... accept now there's slippery/sticky blops of mud sprinkled about the property house waiting to be tracked inside... doh!

(IMG_1340 small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1340 small.jpg (122KB - 2 downloads)
#63149 - in reply to #62153
Author
Posted 2/12/2007 12:28 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
Wierd mud

About the mud. I had some of that dried mud left on my shovel. It has been raining lately here and I noticed the wierdest thing: The muddy shovel which has been inside the garage, is absorbing so much moisture from the air that the (formerly dried) mud is falling off in wet globs. Odd stuff. I wonder what chemicals are in it. The whole town of Trona seems based on extracting the chemicals from the next valley.
#63349 - in reply to #63149
Author
Posted 2/12/2007 1:13 AM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
Re: Updated Photos - DeathValley Trip - no password!

Since i do pottery and i have a few ivy plants, i have certain expectations about how quickly i expect mud/earth/clay to dry. Just on the trip i was really surprised how long it held it's moisture. What you describe about the shovel in your garage explains to some degree why there's so much mud where i wouldn't have expected it to fall off. And oddly enough it's sticky like dog poo when you step in it by accident... i guess we should be thankful it doesn't smell and "falls" off after a while.

Side note to all. Driving in dusty areas, keeping the vent on fresh and the fan going with all the windows up does a good job of keeping dust out of the interior of the vehicle. I'm guessing it puts positive pressure in the cabin so dust has a harder time coming in from other places. Dust, worse than water, gets in at different places in the door seals. On my last trip to death valley i kept the front windows down a lot, and although it didn't particularly come in through the front windows, you could see other places where it was sneaking it;s way in... almost like it was getting sucked in. This doesn't give you the open road feeling which i do really like, but if you don't want to spend time dusting the entire interior, or don't have time to do so... there's your fix.

What's left of trona that is. Strange town. That chevron had the cleanest gas station bathroom i've ever been in.

We cut south early on the drive out of Beatty and drove down through trona on the way out and it's actually a good drive, straight route and empty roads. I think we went past Wildrose road and then took a left to doubl back to it after it straightened out. After Trona there's a good diabonal route over to 395 (is that the one) that my navi chose. We took a road north from our camping spot to get to beatty fastest. I think you mentioned that you had taken that route before.

Edited by ewalberg 2/12/2007 1:21 AM
#63351 - in reply to #62153
Author
Posted 2/12/2007 3:08 AM
TWODOGS
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): Norwegian Army 240GD

fantastic
#63368 - in reply to #62153
Author
Posted 2/12/2007 12:16 PM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa

Yes, I noticed the same with the mud - it held the moisture for such a lond time that it was easy to get off the truck, if you get in all the hidden spaces.

My hair and my G wagen interior got dusted with ton's of sand - I was driving with my window down! My head, I hope, is back to normal - the g is not.
I noticed the dust coming in under the door panels - need to redo all the plastic barrier liners in the doors to seal them off tight. Most door seals have worked pretty good but with doing +50m/hr on those dirt roads it's not easy for them to keep the doors sealed perfect. Alan idea with the HVAC filter is just great -I'll use it the next time around.....

There were so many other places we just had to rush by, definitely more DV trips are need to be planned in the future!
Thanks also to Harald for his input and his wonderful pictures from DV destinations.

Overall a really great trip, my winch concept worked very well, the bumper just moved a tiny little bit but didn't bend or gave up! I might want to give the G-beast a small amount of extra lift , some spring pads or so, with out getting into other suspension issues.
The roof tent always as comfortable as the Hilton beds worked like a charm, nicely sealed no dust or dirt in there!

And to relax our friends on the island, the Wales-Adventure-Group, we had plenty of good (hot) food, lots of cold beer (Weizen) and just fantastic G-wagen participants.

Kar
#63426 - in reply to #63368
Author
Posted 2/12/2007 2:04 PM
Ducks

Date registered: Dec 1899

ewalberg - 2/11/2007 7:28 PM ...Yeah, there's some interesting pictures of us getting stuck in the mud there...

Did I miss the mud pictures somewhere?

Absolutely excellent photos.:)
#63443 - in reply to #63149
Author
Posted 2/12/2007 2:06 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

mud? there is no mud in DV!
#63445 - in reply to #63443
Author
Posted 2/12/2007 2:24 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL

Lots of mud outside the lovely mining town of Trona. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trona%2C_California) The town gets its name from the most common mineral in the Searls 'dry lake' next door. While we were not in that glop directly we got a some on the trucks in our travels.

Death Valley itself has some mud/salt flats but you can't, and shouldn't, go near those. The Death valley minerals seem to be different anyway. Much more like table salt. Well it tastes like table salt anyway.
#63449 - in reply to #63443
Author
Posted 2/12/2007 8:04 PM
PolishEagle
Regular

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500; 2002 CLK55 1981 380SL; 2007 R320

Nice pictures, all we have out here on the right coast is, mud, sand, mud, sand and this thing called the Jersey Devil.

Everyone make it out unscratched?
#63492 - in reply to #62153
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1