Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Diesel Swap for a 1982 SWB G230

Page 1 of 1 1
Diesel Swap for a 1982 SWB G230
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/18/2007 12:46 PM
Khorrassany
New user

Date registered: Feb 2007

Diesel Swap for a 1982 SWB G230

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I live in Cairo/Egypt and owned a couple of nice 4wheelers. I had some questions concerning a diesel swap in a G230. I still don't own one, but I'm offered to buy one and I don't like the engine nor the manual transmission...it's very underpowered.
So I want to swap in a decent diesel engine with it's auto gearbox. I had some questions that will let me deicde either to buy the car or not.

1) What are the most reliable, powerful and easy to maintain engines and gearboxes ?
2) Do I have to modify the engine & gearbox mounts ?
3) Does the axles of the G230 ratio work fine with the diesel engine and auto gearbox ?
4) Where can I find a diesel swb that has an accident and I can buy the whole car ?

Thanks a lot in a advance
Issa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/18/2007 1:10 PM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Diesel Swap for a 1982 SWB G230

Welcome Issa,

There a quite a few posts about diesel swaps. In the Pointedthree header you will find a "Search" button. Use that to find and read some of the older discussions.

The earlier G 460 series have a transfer case that is power/torque limited. That is one reason the 617 and the 617.95 are the recommended engines by quite a few on the forum. The 617 series are by far the most reliable engines and easiest to maintain. They are all cast iron construction and can run on a variety of fuel choices.

The easiest to find sources of diesel power for the early Gs are out of 123 or 126 chassis Mercedes diesel sedans. They are still a lot of them out there. You may have to do some mounting modifications depending on the motor mounts you use, the transmission mounts are very similar to each other but some changing of location may be needed. If you change from a manual box to an automatic finding a G auto box might be difficult and using the transmission and motor together from a sedan might be the easiest solution. The 230 might have slightly lower axle ratios but that may be an advantage depending on what you are doing with the truck. These suggestions are my opinions and I am a very biased 617 motorhead. I drive and maintain quite a few of them and one non turbo version makes my G go. A zenith of Mercedes engineering.

-Dai
#64256 - in reply to #64251
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1