Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Attempting to become a G owner....help requested.

Page 1 of 1 1
Attempting to become a G owner....help requested.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/8/2007 10:27 PM
graff40b

Date registered: Dec 1899
Attempting to become a G owner....help requested.

I am in need of a G. I have been searching for a new 4x4 for sometime and stumbled across two G's available in Oregon where I live. I instantly love them and want one now and bad. I want to be able to use the car for daily driving and also off road use.

The first is a Classic 1979 280GE G-wagen. Good condition cosmetically and mechanically(they say), four-speed manual, 2H-4H-4L transfer case, factory rear differential lockers. Brand new Mud Terrain 32X12.50 tires. 90,000 supposed miles

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The other available is a 1979 230GE with a supposed 108,000 miles. Hard-to-find 230GE Short Wheelbase G-Wagen. Tons of new parts and upgrades including new motor, Bilstein shocks, Bosch alternator, MB wiper/blinker multiswitch, wiper motor, radiator, Optima Red Top battery, completely new factory interior, brand new BFG All Terrain 32X10.50 tires. Also included is a brand new, professionally installed Webasto heater

I am searching high and low for buying tips, pricing, what to look for, and info on the various G's available in the US. I am learning and am experienced in off roading, but only older 70's broncos and CJ jeeps. So i know the usual rust and drive testing. But what needs to be done for problem checks when buying a used almost 30 year old G? Are there disadvantages to these models, years, engines, and reasons not to buy or buy them? Are they other ways of obtaining a G? I am looking high and low.

Thanks to all and any for your info, time and help.

~brian
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/8/2007 11:00 PM
4x4abc

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500
RE: Attempting to become a G owner....help requested.

1979 230GE sounds fishy - there was no 230GE in '79.

Take your time - don't rush.

Check here: http://www.clubgwagen.com/classifieds.php?sid=home&pageTitle=classi...

If you want to use your new baby off-road, you should get one with front and rear lockers. Front was optional in the early years. A retrofit is outrageously expensive. There are no aftermarket lockers for the G - only OEM.
There are exceptions, but the very early years ('79 to '83) are not too desirable.

Unless there is a record (service booklet or so) the miles can be anything since the odometer starts with 0 after 99,999.
#66300 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/8/2007 11:12 PM
EuroTruck
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2012 Audi A4 Avant S-Line, 2015 Ridley NOAH SL

Brian,

The LWB 280GE looks like an ex-BGS (German Border Patrol) truck that is in good condition. It was probably maintained well by the German Gov't, but let's face it, a G without a front locker is like a boar hog without testicles.

The SWB 230G looks like Johnny V's old truck. If so, he did put a lot of time and money into restoring it.

If these G's are not exactly what you want, I would hold out for the right truck. Once you find the right G, you'll have her for a long time. You can learn its quirks and create a relationship that lasts.

What I'm trying to say is, these trucks have a way of weaving themselves into the fiber of your life. I see it day in and day out. Vehicles come and go, but G owners are always willing to do what it takes to keep the G in the family and on the road. For many, it is multiple G's. Maybe we should start calling them SMILEWAGENS instead. I know when I climb into the seat and the door closes with a resounding thud, I certainly smile.

-Sean P.

#66301 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/8/2007 11:13 PM
graff40b

Thanks to 4x4abc tons, I actually stumbled upon your website long before this one. I grew up Off Road with old CJ's and then changed paths to Sport Compact Cars. Now I am selling my project speed car to get back to my off road roots. Thank the gods.

Anyways......the little hints like knowing about front and rear lockers years of availability are what I need to know. Seems general knowledge to you, but is new and very helpful to me. About the title of GE, its being sold form a dealer, not private seller, so more likely is just a mistake on their behalf. I will look into that further. And thanks for the classifieds link, greatly appreciated. Here is a pic of something the dealer here also has.....just thought was cool and would show all.
#66302 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 12:41 AM
4x4abc

Yup, Pinzgauer and Mercedes G come from the same factory. Same engineering background. Even share a few parts (not too many). Great vehicle. Painfully slow. A bit tipsy.
#66305 - in reply to #66302
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 1:29 AM
Woody
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): '84 280GE -> 300GD turbo, '84 300SD veg, 06 Navion

I have been searching also - I have been dreaming of a 300 GD. - spoke with Sean at Eurotruck, Russ at gwagen.com, Ben in Indiana and also several others. (thanks guys!)

I went over and drove both of those trucks in Portland you posted Graff, they're both nice but the green one seemed a little rough and it still has the smell of German tobacco. I think it was a German police truck. It does have the warn winch, but there are some strange brackets and things inside, like a rifle case in the roof - hey maybe that's what you're into. I'd definitly schedule a test drive, just to get the feel. I did and I'm hooked.

4x4abc - could you please elaborate on what it is you mean by 1979 - 83 are less desireable? They're easy to import now, and I've been thinking of doing that as I have a friend in Germany who is willing to help me. Dai told me the W463 has a better transfer case, but aren't the older ones with mechanical (not electronic) lockers better? Please honor us newbies with some of your wisdom

Thanks!
#66315 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 4:02 AM
TWODOGS
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): Norwegian Army 240GD

wow , that pinz looks tidy ...hmmm
Twodogs
#66318 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 4:17 AM
Maxwell Smart

Re: Attempting to become a G owner....help requested.

Also read this: http://gwoa.co.uk/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=172
#66319 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 5:59 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
"Buying A Preowned G-wagen"

Here is a scan of the "Buying Preowned" section from "The Legend Keeps on Driving - 25 years of Mercedes-Benz G-Class" book. You might find it useful.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Buying_Pre-Owned.pdf (606KB - 91 downloads)
#66320 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 7:58 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo

The E in GE refers to Einspritz (fuel injection) otherwise it is a carburated version. Have the dealer check to see which it has.

For a better understanding of models and years go here: http://www.g4rce.net/engl/models.html

My G is a daily driver and I would not trade it in for anything. I took 6 month to find mine reviewing several models. Take your time.

Mark

Edited by Inkblotz 3/9/2007 8:01 AM
#66327 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 9:56 AM
KERR

that two door looks like the G that was on e bay about 8 months ago that a few people tried to buy and the buyer never sold, or the G had problems... You guys remember that?

Also whats your price range? Older G in good shape bring a lot of money.. You might be able to upgrate 10-15 years depending on the condition of the "old" G your looking at. I saw a 2000 model on e bay on wendsday and the bid was $18K...
#66335 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 10:00 AM
4x4abc

Woody,

I know that the 25 years and older trucks are easy to import - but that alone would not make me buy one.
Those early trucks are the oldest ones. Duhh. Most worn, most miles, most rust. Very hard to find a decent one in Europe. However, since it is easy to import them, many thought about making the easy buck. Lotsa questionable "sales restaurations" around. There are not too many of those old ones around in Europe, many of them are in really bad shape looking sad and tired. I have followed many of them on German ebay (thought about buying one myself). Sometimes sellig for under $2,000. And then they appear in the US months later. Shiny paint and new tires (low miles of course) and an asking price of at least $10k.

This is not to say that all early 460 G are not desirable. Some of them are gems. Do your homework and you'll find one. Spending $15k for a well taken care of early 460 that has already been in the US for many years will most likely be cheaper (and less headaches) than a recent import below $10k. The only way to find a really good one in Europe will require you to fly there and hunt yourself. Local contacts or friends willing to buy one for you? Be ready for disappointment (maybe even lose a friend). To get what you want, you have to do it yourself. It might require you to take the trip more than once. You will have great memories of the hunt - but you will end up (when its all added up) spending close to the $15k as well.

I personally like the later ones better (starting around '85). Like on all cars, after the bugs have been worked out and refinement sets in they become desirable.

Dai told you right - the 463 has the better transfer case. Not only that, with full time 4WD the stability (thus safety) enhancing sdvantages of 4WD can be used on pavement. The VG150 is also less prone to cause vibrations which plague the entire 460 series (with VG080 transfer case).
The 463 does not have "electronic" 4WD. They have a electrical switches (as simple as your light switch at home) to activate the same mechanical lockers as on the 460/461. All lockers on the G-Wagen series are the same - they are all manually activated by the driver (some with pull levers, some with switches).

main difference between the 460 and 463 is that the 460 has a part time 4WD system (can't be used on pavement) and the 463 has a full time 4WD system: http://4x4abc.com/4WD101/4WD-AWD-autoAWD.html
#66336 - in reply to #66315
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 4:00 PM
wcelliot

Wow, not one but two 2000 G500's on Ebay! Both low miles and good shape... and one at a BIN of $31k....

Bill
#66374 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 4:49 PM
Woody
Extreme Veteran

Thanks Harald!

Also thanks Maxwell and Dutch for the links, although there is some discrepancy between the two points. On the one hand the GWOA writer doesn't seem to like G's much, at least that's how I read it:

"In fact all G engines are too weak and have an improper torque curve for an off-road vehicle."

And the G-Wagen Buyers guide takes a more positive spin, their favorite is a 290 GD 461 and I don't think I'd ever find one of those in the States.

Soooooo, having now adjusted my idea of the ideal G to those 300GD's in the 463 line, how much money should I really spend? Previously I naîvely thought I could get into one, albeit older one for around $10K. Now I want to get something I can love for a while... and I'm willing to find a way to make it work. Patience.

See, I owned a Scout for 20 years. Even though both diff's are open - those trucks will do mostly what you want them to, and then some. I looked into getting a 1980 Turbo Diesel Scout, but they are really underpowered even with the turbo. Plus I identify with the German vehicles much better and I'm committed to biodiesel. => Mercedes G!

All of which has brought me to find all of you fine people!

The search shall go on.

Peace.
#66385 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 4:58 PM
Woody
Extreme Veteran

BTW, I'm a cloth seats/manual tranny/keep it simple kind of guy. The less bling the better for me which is why I originally gravitated toward the older 460's
#66386 - in reply to #66297
Author
Posted 3/10/2007 10:37 AM
PolishEagle
Regular

Vehicle(s): 2003 G500; 2002 CLK55 1981 380SL; 2007 R320

Woody sent you a PM
#66453 - in reply to #66297
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1