Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Not all 463 Bumpers are the same

Page 1 of 1 1
Not all 463 Bumpers are the same
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/27/2007 8:38 PM
AGuess
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 93 500GE, 93 500GE, 2002 G500
Not all 463 Bumpers are the same

Hi Everyone,

I have a 93 500GE, and when I bought it a few years ago the front bumper had a big dent in it, so I have wanted to replace it.

Adam from Alaska was kind enough to mail me his old bumper off his 463. I don't know the model, only that it was a 463.

I thought the main difference in the two bumpers was that mine was solid in the center and the one he sent me has vents in the center. It looks like the grill pattern.

Well, I finally got around to painting it to match my G, took off my dented bumper and went to install the replacement from Adam today.

I found that one of the two brackets that bolt to the frame of the G to attach the bumper do not have the same length as the one that I removed.

Facing the G, the left side bracket matches, with the two bolt holes being about 6 inches apart. However, the one on the right has the two bolt holes at 4 inches apart.

So, for now, I only have the three bolts securing the bumper to my G.

I also noticed that the original bumper that I removed was a lot more solid and weighed more. The original bumper had backing panels on the inside of the bumper and angle braces to support the mounting brackets. The replacement one did not have the support braces, was lighter weight, etc.

Can anyone tell me why the bolt patterns are different on the different bumpers?

Also, I guess I need to find another bumper so I have all four bolt holes matching.

Any thoughts are welcome.

AGuess
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/27/2007 11:07 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
Re: Not all 463 Bumpers are the same

my 2000 (which i recall his was a 99) is the current bumper which most definitely is wimpier. I've got the tow pin bumper now. which is like your old one but with the tow pin also. The new bumper is wimpier for some reasons i don't understand, but probably in part becuase it's intended to hold the tranny cooler in it. My observation is that the older tow pin one has 3 long and low slates which allow air to flow in just above the front skid plate so that the tranny cooler still gets good flow in the alternate location (above the front skid plate).

The difference in length has something to do with the steering box i think. The folks who installed my tow pin bumper made it fit becuase they could cut short the long side (i believe it's vehicle left side) drill the hole and weld the nut back in place, In your case you need a bumper with the full length attachment... if you want to stick with that bumper my suggestion would be to take it to a fab shop and ask them to modify the short side to match the other for length. Then you could always have them weld in some supports, hopping the welding doesn't trash the paint.

Good luck. Cool truck you have there!
#75871 - in reply to #75844
Author
Posted 5/27/2007 11:42 PM
Alaskagwagen

Date registered: Dec 1899

Hi Alex,

Erik is exactly right. The bumper I sent you is off a 98 G500 and is wimpier than the one I replaced it with or the one on my 1990 300GD. The left bracket had to be modified on the tow pin 463 bumper (it was too long) I fitted to the G500. The steering gear pump is the issue on the G500. It should not be a big deal to weld on the nut or like I did on the G500 - drill a hole and pray to God you can get in there with two wrenches to tighten the last left-hand side bolt down. I have long arms and can be pretty stubborn but most of that part of the job has been blotted from my memory.

Good luck!

Adam

#75875 - in reply to #75871
Author
Posted 5/28/2007 8:58 AM
AGuess
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 93 500GE, 93 500GE, 2002 G500
RE: Not all 463 Bumpers are the same

Thank you for helping me understand the difference.

I will have to check on the price of a new one or see if I can find another used one before I have the mounting arm extended. Either way I will have to repaint. Not a big deal.

FYI. I purchased a HVLP paint gun system a few years back. It has been a great investment.

Yes, my original bumper has the air flow just above the skid plate, the new bumper has the grill look.

Question?

Does this cause me any problem with the trany cooler, now that the air flows through the grill and not from above the skid plate?

I don't want to burn up my trany over a bumper.

Thanks again.

Alex.
#75938 - in reply to #75844
Author
Posted 5/28/2007 9:33 AM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

ewalberg - 5/28/2007 4:07 AM

my 2000 (which i recall his was a 99) is the current bumper which most definitely is wimpier. I've got the tow pin bumper now. which is like your old one but with the tow pin also. The new bumper is wimpier for some reasons i don't understand, but probably in part becuase it's intended to hold the tranny cooler in it. My observation is that the older tow pin one has 3 long and low slates which allow air to flow in just above the front skid plate so that the tranny cooler still gets good flow in the alternate location (above the front skid plate).

The difference in length has something to do with the steering box i think. The folks who installed my tow pin bumper made it fit becuase they could cut short the long side (i believe it's vehicle left side) drill the hole and weld the nut back in place, In your case you need a bumper with the full length attachment... if you want to stick with that bumper my suggestion would be to take it to a fab shop and ask them to modify the short side to match the other for length. Then you could always have them weld in some supports, hopping the welding doesn't trash the paint.

Good luck. Cool truck you have there!
#75942 - in reply to #75871
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1