Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Just What I Had Suspected

Page 1 of 1 1
Just What I Had Suspected
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/29/2007 3:20 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Just What I Had Suspected

At lunchtime I turned on the TV to see the midday news.  There was news footage from Nigeria on the election of a new president.  The vehicle he was being carried in looked like a G-wagen.  So I went to do a search. Yep, sure enough; it was a G-wagen.  I wonder what Nigerian scam brought about this vehicle. 

See the attached pics compliments of the Associated Press.

(Umaru1.jpg)

(Umaru2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Umaru1.jpg (97KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Umaru2.jpg (93KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/29/2007 3:36 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500
Re: Just What I Had Suspected

looks like a pretty old 460.
If you and I can drive one - why can't the new president of Nigeria be driven around in one?
#76230 - in reply to #76228
Author
Posted 5/29/2007 6:31 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55
RE: Just What I Had Suspected

That's funny I got a letter last month from the rightful ruler of Nigeria asking me to deposit 7 million dollars in my bank account on his behalf. Maybe someone took him up on it and he could afford to buy a G.

Jonathan
#76257 - in reply to #76228
Author
Posted 5/29/2007 8:27 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Actually, I was wondering which one of you out there offered your G for a "business opportunity" and to be the inheritor of the $15 million. Notice the steering wheel is on the left. Nigerians drive on the same side as the British, not same side as Americans. And I recall in the past some of us putting our Gs up for sale receiving Nigerian scam-mails.
#76265 - in reply to #76228
Author
Posted 5/29/2007 11:48 PM
VonEpp
W124 Host

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle(s): w114, w124 & w460

Is the star crooked?
#76283 - in reply to #76228
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 12:10 AM
BenzDieselTuner

Date registered: Dec 1899

Jonathan Joseph - 5/29/2007 6:31 PM

That's funny I got a letter last month from the rightful ruler of Nigeria asking me to deposit 7 million dollars in my bank account on his behalf. Maybe someone took him up on it and he could afford to buy a G.

Jonathan

i get emails like that sometimes, and i'v always wondered, whats the scam supposed to be? how is them giving you money gonna get them your money??
#76288 - in reply to #76257
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 7:46 AM
VonEpp
W124 Host

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle(s): w114, w124 & w460

Google "419 scam".
#76328 - in reply to #76228
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 8:47 AM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

BenzDieselTuner - 5/30/2007 5:10 AM

Jonathan Joseph - 5/29/2007 6:31 PM

Jonathan

i get emails like that sometimes, and i'v always wondered, whats the scam supposed to be? how is them giving you money gonna get them your money??

You have to give them your bank details to enable them to pay in ????? but they just take out
#76334 - in reply to #76288
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 9:05 AM
Shebl

I have worked and lived for 5 years in Nigeria , and I’ll tell you the story of the 419 .

The name 419 came after crooks sold the same piece of land to 419 different buyer and all have the documents and had the land registered in their names .

419 scam is very well known now worldwide but before many people were scammed by having similare cases such as send me 5000 USD to transfer 10 million to ur account and share it bcs my dad is an ex general deported bla bla .

Coming to G 500 it is very popular in Nigeria despite the attraction it brings for Armed robbers which is also very very popular .

Lagos governor convoy consists of G 500 his two of them are armored and rest is ordinary .

ReG ,

Shebl
#76337 - in reply to #76228
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 9:10 AM
Shebl

gwagen460swb - 5/29/2007 3:27 PM

Actually, I was wondering which one of you out there offered your G for a "business opportunity" and to be the inheritor of the $15 million. Notice the steering wheel is on the left. Nigerians drive on the same side as the British, not same side as Americans. And I recall in the past some of us putting our Gs up for sale receiving Nigerian scam-mails.

Nigerians drive same side as most of the world , steering wheel on the left side not on the right .

And majority of imported used cars are form USA specially 4x4s since it became cheaper to import from US then Europe after the Rise of the EURO .

ReG ,

Shebl
#76339 - in reply to #76265
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 9:16 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

Interesting fact!
In Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania and I believe Zaire as well, there are a lot of G's (RHD) owned by the Army, however 90% of them just lay there rotting away, some of them perfectly sound, just because they ran out of fuel,
and left standing there!
There is just no service opportunities and knowhow to repair or service them.
For many Years many South Africans residents and dealers have tried in a way or an other to get hold of these vehicles. The bureaucracy is so red-taped and heavy export duties applied, that it is impossible to get to them.
In earlier years, in Malawi, I have seen about 70 to 80 G's (460) in a military junk-yard.

Can you imagine the amount of good vehicles and spares just rotting away! ..... Military-surplus!

amzimmy

Edited by amzimmy 5/30/2007 9:18 AM
#76340 - in reply to #76334
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 1:30 PM
Kano383

In the Nigerian Criminal Code, section 419 deals with fraud.

Contrary to several Governors in Nigeria, Umaru Yar'Adua (new President and former Governor of Katsina State, in the North) was never implicated in 419 scams, and is not from "that crowd".

I won't mention people like Orji Kalu, of Abia State, who staged an "early handing over" to his successor Theodore Orji, before to precipitously leave the country for an undisclosed destination.

Gossipers will be quick to point out that Orji No. 2 was released on bail from detention in order to attend the ceremony...! Other 4 top officials from Abia State were granted bail at the same time, all of them indicted for money laundering and other offences.

Have to know that the Nigerian Constitution gives full immunity against criminal prosecution to Governors and President/Vice President. This provision has been liberally interpreted by many as a licence to steal.

Now, if you want to delve in the murky waters of local politics and corruption, we may spend quite a lot of time just to scrape the surface... And if you want to know more about "419" and various fraud schemes, I just happen to hold courses on the subject in a Lagos suburb. You are most welcome to attend, as soon as I receive your Western Union cash transfer...
#76376 - in reply to #76228
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 5:30 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

amzimmy - 5/30/2007 9:16 AM Interesting fact! In Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania and I believe Zaire as well, there are a lot of G's (RHD) owned by the Army, however 90% of them just lay there rotting away, some of them perfectly sound, just because they ran out of fuel, and left standing there! There is just no service opportunities and knowhow to repair or service them. For many Years many South Africans residents and dealers have tried in a way or an other to get hold of these vehicles. The bureaucracy is so red-taped and heavy export duties applied, that it is impossible to get to them. In earlier years, in Malawi, I have seen about 70 to 80 G's (460) in a military junk-yard. Can you imagine the amount of good vehicles and spares just rotting away! ..... Military-surplus! amzimmy :wave:

What?  Are you trying to run a scam?  Just kidding!  Heheheh!!!

And it almost sounds like these countries you mention are in need of money anyways.  Or you would think that whoever the person who has a huge say in allowing these vehicles to be paid for and exported would do so to pocket a lot of money for themselves.  What a waste to see these beauties rot away. 

If there are pictures of these Gs in Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania, and Zaire; I would love to see them.

#76425 - in reply to #76340
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 5:44 PM
Woodey

I must have 50 or 60 checks from these guy's. I get cashier checks postal money orders & business checks. They want me to cash them & send the overage back to them, but I know the checks are no good so I just collect them to Play with these guys.http://www.419eater.com/ This web site has some FUNNY stories
#76428 - in reply to #76228
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 9:15 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

gwagen460swb - 5/29/2007 11:30 PM

amzimmy - 5/30/2007 9:16 AM Interesting fact! In Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania and I believe Zaire as well, there are a lot of G's (RHD) owned by the Army, however 90% of them just lay there rotting away, some of them perfectly sound, just because they ran out of fuel, and left standing there! There is just no service opportunities and knowhow to repair or service them. For many Years many South Africans residents and dealers have tried in a way or an other to get hold of these vehicles. The bureaucracy is so red-taped and heavy export duties applied, that it is impossible to get to them. In earlier years, in Malawi, I have seen about 70 to 80 G's (460) in a military junk-yard. Can you imagine the amount of good vehicles and spares just rotting away! ..... Military-surplus! amzimmy :wave:

What? Are you trying to run a scam? Just kidding! Heheheh!!!

And it almost sounds like these countries you mention are in need of money anyways. Or you would think that whoever the person who has a huge say in allowing these vehicles to be paid for and exported would do so to pocket a lot of money for themselves. What a waste to see these beauties rot away.

If there are pictures of these Gs in Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania, and Zaire; I would love to see them.

I did try and take a photo but you get arrested and the keys thrown away! But if I can get my hands on some I will post them!

That's all the story in Africa........if you want something.....you have to pay through your....hmmmm......nose!

amzimmy
#76601 - in reply to #76425
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1