Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Poll: Do You Off-Road?

Page 1 of 1 1
PollPoll: Do You Off-Road?
Topic Tools Message Format
Never Been Off-Road1 Votes - [1.39%]
1 - 2 Times Per Year2 Votes - [2.78%]
3 - 5 Times Per Year13 Votes - [18.06%]
1 - 2 Times Per Month8 Votes - [11.11%]
Every Week5 Votes - [6.94%]
Every Day1 Votes - [1.39%]
I Don't Plan To Go Off-Road2 Votes - [2.78%]
Every Snow Blizzard On My Way To Work1 Votes - [1.39%]
Whenever I Get The Chance28 Votes - [38.89%]
Whenever I Go Camping6 Votes - [8.33%]
Whenever There's a Group Event5 Votes - [6.94%]
Add your own option:
This is a multiple choice poll.

Author
Posted 5/29/2007 4:46 PM
Braingears
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320
Poll: Do You Off-Road?

How often do you take your G-Wagon Off-Road?

These are multiple voting, so answer as many that apply (but please include one of the top 7). This can include any time head down the dusty trail and engage your lockers...

Please do not add new fields just to add more fields. Use an existing option if it applies...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/29/2007 5:46 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4
Re: Poll: Do You Off-Road?

During the winter months i.e. hunting season it's often 3-4 times a week.
#76251 - in reply to #76242
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 11:37 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: Poll: Do You Off-Road?

Braingears - 5/29/2007 2:46 PM

... This can include any time head down the dusty trail and engage your lockers...

Interesting definition of going off road.  Any time you choose to pull a lever or push a button you're "off road"?

I like to say I never take my G off of designated roads if I can help it.  In other parts of the world it may not be like the USA, but around me here in CO, there are designated roads that are impassible to vehicles on less than 37" tires.  If any of you have any of the Charles Wells books, you can drive everywhere in them without leaving roads.  Most all the routes that require 4wd, lockers, what have you, around here are in fact designated "roads" and I try to stay on them outside of emergency situations.  The only time I remember being off of map-designated roads was in Escalante National Monument where the forest service representative I spoke to before entering modified the definition of "road" to include, "...anywhere you can make out two tire tracks is an existing road, so you should be able to go about anywhere out there without leaving the roads..."

If the definition included leaving pavement for more than a mile, then I'm "off road" every day on the way to and from my house.  If the definition only includes using 4wd (or CDL for you 463'ers), then I'm off road, even on pavement, half the winter.  If the definition only includes times that axle diff locks are engaged, then I've only been "off road" for a matter of less than 20 miles in the vehicle's whole life.  If the definition includes being off of officially designated roads, then the number is probably less than a couple miles total.

Do I drive off road?  Not if I can help it.

-Dave G.

#76359 - in reply to #76242
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 12:27 PM
Merz-Ben
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 230G, U1200, U1250 DoKa, U1300L, U1500, U1700, 416

I drive off road several times a week with a G, but I am a farmer for part of my living, and this usually requires taking feed out to cattle or checking fences, or hauling seed or tools out to the equipment in the fields. Many times I have to cross creeks and gullies that have no "road", but none of these activities are usually extreme... just my normal routine. On the other hand, I travel on "roads" through our salvage yard, and in the winter it can be extremely difficult to manuver on them if we get a warm winter... they require diff locks and all. As for real "offroading" for recreation, I very seldom ever get a chance to, but it is great fun when I do get time for it.

Cheers,
Ben
#76367 - in reply to #76242
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 2:25 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4
Re: Poll: Do You Off-Road?

Generally going hunting for me requires climbing steep rutted hills in low 4, fording small streams, driving through sandy walnut groves and traversing 8-12 inch deep mud puddles in the middle of the Escalante Natl Park definition of roads.
#76382 - in reply to #76242
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 2:58 AM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320

hipine - 5/30/2007 11:37 AM
Braingears - 5/29/2007 2:46 PM

... This can include any time head down the dusty trail and engage your lockers...

Interesting definition of going off road.  Any time you choose to pull a lever or push a button you're "off road"?

I like to say I never take my G off of designated roads if I can help it.  In other parts of the world it may not be like the USA, but around me here in CO, there are designated roads that are impassible to vehicles on less than 37" tires.  If any of you have any of the Charles Wells books, you can drive everywhere in them without leaving roads.  Most all the routes that require 4wd, lockers, what have you, around here are in fact designated "roads" and I try to stay on them outside of emergency situations.  The only time I remember being off of map-designated roads was in Escalante National Monument where the forest service representative I spoke to before entering modified the definition of "road" to include, "...anywhere you can make out two tire tracks is an existing road, so you should be able to go about anywhere out there without leaving the roads..."

If the definition included leaving pavement for more than a mile, then I'm "off road" every day on the way to and from my house.  If the definition only includes using 4wd (or CDL for you 463'ers), then I'm off road, even on pavement, half the winter.  If the definition only includes times that axle diff locks are engaged, then I've only been "off road" for a matter of less than 20 miles in the vehicle's whole life.  If the definition includes being off of officially designated roads, then the number is probably less than a couple miles total.

Do I drive off road?  Not if I can help it.

-Dave G.

The idea is to find out how many people use thier G-Wagons for what they were made for. How many times do you choose to hit a trail or path that you would not want to take your typical 2wd sedan because you know that you would get stuck? How often do you cross that foot deep stream or river, or climb over something that takes one or more wheel off the ground? How many times per year do you test the limits of your vehicle and your driving ability.

#76563 - in reply to #76359
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 3:44 AM
hus55
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GDS, G300 LONG,300GDT CLK55 AMG CAB.

here in the uk i do zero off roading due to my city lifestyle and work(plus i have lpg tanks under my G!)
but when i go out to n-cyprus for three weeks.....i take my cab off the beaten track everyday i intend to look for quiet beaches and follow unused tracks which often finish and i then test my skill and suspension!

i also love mountain driving and the scenes are spectacular! i prefer dry conditions to muddy enviroments,but i guess thats because i havent seen cyprus in the winter for a long time
#76568 - in reply to #76242
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 7:29 AM
79percent
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300 GE

Depending on Season. In Winter I use the '93 300GE 3 or 4 times, in Summer I don't use the G320E for offroad abuse.
#76596 - in reply to #76568
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 7:49 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

Well....on this one, I have to vote ...... EVERY DAY ....... we live in Africa and every road Hi-way, By-way, tarred or not tarred is AN OFF-ROAD filled with interesting Pot-Holes, diggings and many challenging obstacles, so, yes...every day!

amzimmy

Edited by amzimmy 5/31/2007 7:50 AM

(comicsa_road_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments comicsa_road_1.jpg (47KB - 0 downloads)
#76598 - in reply to #76242
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1