Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Climate control problems?

Page 1 of 1 1
Climate control problems?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/13/2007 3:56 PM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
Climate control problems?

as most of you know I was having ac problems a few weeks ago and I put to 12 oz bottles of sub Zero freeon in it.

All was good cooled at about 45* when driving and 50 when setting still.

Yesterday I noticed it wasn't as cool on the drivers side. So today I stuck the thermostat in the air vent. With both dials set on 64. the driver side is blowing about 70* when driving about 85* when stopped at a red light. The passenger side is blower about 45-50* when driving and 60* when stopped.

It seem like when I stop the compressor turns off then restarts after im about 20 mph. Does anyone else do this? Also any suggestion on why the drivers side it so much warmer? I turned them bot to heat and let it run for a few min thinking maybe the computer just need to cycle threw a mode or two. The heat will still melt ya.. its showing 150* out of both sides..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/13/2007 4:26 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Climate control problems?

KERR - 6/13/2007 3:56 PM

as most of you know I was having ac problems a few weeks ago and I put to 12 oz bottles of sub Zero freeon in it.

All was good cooled at about 45* when driving and 50 when setting still.

Yesterday I noticed it wasn't as cool on the drivers side. So today I stuck the thermostat in the air vent. With both dials set on 64. the driver side is blowing about 70* when driving about 85* when stopped at a red light. The passenger side is blower about 45-50* when driving and 60* when stopped.

It seem like when I stop the compressor turns off then restarts after im about 20 mph. Does anyone else do this? Also any suggestion on why the drivers side it so much warmer? I turned them bot to heat and let it run for a few min thinking maybe the computer just need to cycle threw a mode or two. The heat will still melt ya.. its showing 150* out of both sides..

Why don't you follow the advice given in your original thread on this subject?

Take it to an auto HVAC shop!!!
#78595 - in reply to #78593
Author
Posted 6/13/2007 6:23 PM
CaptnPete

Re: Climate control problems?

I just know enough about A/C units to stay away from them. The freon in today's cars is most likely R 134. If you have lost freon in the system, the question is why? Adding freon is not the answer. Have a shop evacuate the system by pulling a vacuum on the system. Check if the system is holding the vacuum. If not, you've got a leak. Have the leak fixed. After that have them fill the system with the appropriate freon with the specified amount (by weight). Don't fill the system by using a pressure gauge. I've been told the system can be damaged that way. Overfilling will damage the compressor, because the compressor is not designed to compress liquid freon
#78607 - in reply to #78593
Author
Posted 6/13/2007 8:22 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55
RE: Climate control problems?

I haven't been a mechanic for about fifteen years but there are a few things I remember

Most importantly if your system needs refrigerant you have a leak, adding refrigerant won't fix that.
You say freon but are you using the correct type of refrigerant? Kinda important....
I'm not sure what the system is like in the 463 but it's probably not safe to just add refrigerant till there are no bubbles in the window like we used to do. You need to add the correct amount by the factory specs with the right equipment and procedures or you might do some damage. A/C guys that know their job are money well spent, go price a compressor, and you'll be happy to pay the A/C guys bill.

Jonathan
#78629 - in reply to #78593
Author
Posted 6/14/2007 10:05 AM
KERR

well the peoblem here is my only option is the dealer and i havent had good luck from them.

I understand if you have a leak it will not cool. what i dont get is why one side is so much warmer than the other one.

thanks for more info

#78724 - in reply to #78593
Author
Posted 6/14/2007 11:03 AM
CaptnPete

Zone air-conditioning mixes cold and warm air for the desired temperature. Kinda like adding more bourbon to your bourbon and water. There's probably something wrong with the mixing settings. Faulty regulator comes to mind. Who knows?
#78734 - in reply to #78593
Author
Posted 6/14/2007 4:50 PM
KERR

called the dealer and she said it was " so and so sensor" or the water something valve? anyway it goes in on monday to be fixed.
#78768 - in reply to #78593
Author
Posted 6/16/2007 8:12 AM
Ed Mclass
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1958 180a, 2010 GLK, 2000 G 500, 2005 SLK 350

Do you go to the American Service Center? MB dealer
#79003 - in reply to #78593