Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Water inside under seat storage box

Page 1 of 1 1
Water inside under seat storage box
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/16/2007 11:09 AM
AGuess
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 93 500GE, 93 500GE, 2002 G500
Water inside under seat storage box

Can anyone tell me what this could be from.

The passenger side front seat storage box has a lot of water (condensation) on the roof of the box. I can slap it with my hand and large drops fall off.

I needed to remove my jack today and noticed that the floor inside the storage box seemed damp, then I noticed the large drops of water on the roof of the box.

The driver side box is dry.

Thank you for your ideas. I need to get this fixed as I don't want rust to start forming.

UPDATE:

There is also alot of moisture under the front passanger floorboard carpet. I have removed it and dried up the water.

Could this be from:

1. Wiper seals
2. A/C heat exchanger under the dash?

How do I trace this down?

AGuess

Edited by AGuess 6/16/2007 11:21 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/16/2007 11:42 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Water inside under seat storage box

AGuess - 6/16/2007 11:09 AM

Can anyone tell me what this could be from.

The passenger side front seat storage box has a lot of water (condensation) on the roof of the box. I can slap it with my hand and large drops fall off.

I needed to remove my jack today and noticed that the floor inside the storage box seemed damp, then I noticed the large drops of water on the roof of the box.

The driver side box is dry.

Thank you for your ideas. I need to get this fixed as I don't want rust to start forming.

UPDATE:

There is also alot of moisture under the front passanger floorboard carpet. I have removed it and dried up the water.

Could this be from:

1. Wiper seals
2. A/C heat exchanger under the dash?

How do I trace this down?

AGuess

Plugged drain tubes for the A/C evaporator coil or loose or missing door seal behind the passenger door panel.

If it started with the more frequent use of your A/C, it could be the former. If you've had a lot of rain, it could be the latter or the wiper shaft seals. What condition are the plastic dome caps and plastic necked grommet under the dome cap that keep water out of the shaft.
#79023 - in reply to #79021
Author
Posted 6/16/2007 12:05 PM
CaptnPete

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Water inside under seat storage box

Is the car garaged?
I would remove everything from the box, clean it and see what happens.
Rain may have gotten onto the box through a window left open.
I am guessing that you have manual seats. If so the seat is relatively easy to remove and also is the box.

Maybe there is a hole in the floor under the box. Try to check from underneath. After cleaning the box, take a garden hose and squirt copious amounts of water under the car in the vicinity of the storage box. Check for water intrusion.
#79026 - in reply to #79021
Author
Posted 6/16/2007 11:22 PM
AGuess
Elite Veteran

Another Update.

I looked at the windshield wipers and found that on the passenger side, that just below the wiper nut is an indention (like a small well) in the body of the G. This has several cracks in it that will allow water in.

I don't understand this, it almost looks and feels like a putty or fiberglass material, not metal.

These cracks also extend up to the locking nut that holds the wiper shaft into the body.

What do you know about this? Is this standard material, or has my G been repaired at some time?

What is the correct method of fixing these cracks?

Thank you again.

AGuess
#79070 - in reply to #79021
Author
Posted 6/17/2007 6:11 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

AGuess - 6/16/2007 11:22 PM

Another Update.

I looked at the windshield wipers and found that on the passenger side, that just below the wiper nut is an indention (like a small well) in the body of the G. This has several cracks in it that will allow water in.

I don't understand this, it almost looks and feels like a putty or fiberglass material, not metal.

These cracks also extend up to the locking nut that holds the wiper shaft into the body.

What do you know about this? Is this standard material, or has my G been repaired at some time?

What is the correct method of fixing these cracks?

Thank you again.

AGuess

Can't explain why it's that way. The indent is correct, but it's supposed to be steel; and those cracks are probably the source of your water entry.
#79090 - in reply to #79070
Author
Posted 6/17/2007 9:03 AM
CaptnPete

Date registered: Dec 1899

I guess I read the whole thing wrong: "Water inside under seat storage box" meant to me just that. I know now that the poster was asking about water in and above the glove compartment.

Sorry about that
#79101 - in reply to #79021
Author
Posted 6/17/2007 11:08 AM
AGuess
Elite Veteran

Dutch & CaptnPete,

Thank you both for your reply.

Dutch,

I think it cold be two things.

1. I have just started using the A/C again, so I need to have the drain lines checked.
2. The crack in the well below the windshield wiper shaft on the outside of the vehicle.

CaptnPete

Yes, I was talking about a lot of water condensation that had built up on top inside of the seat box. The floor was also wet under the passenger foot area. I have removed the carpet and dried everything out. I did not remove the seat. It is electric and I expect the heat of the sun will dry out the carpet under the seat box, if I leave the door open for a day or so.

There are no holes in the floor.

I have not removed the glove box to look for water on the inside of the fire wall.

Do you think I should do that?

I think that I will run a magnet over the outside of the body below the windshield where the wiper shafts come out to see if there was a prior body repair done there, which might explain the cracks.

Thanks again. When I figure this out I will post again.

AGuess
#79108 - in reply to #79021
Author
Posted 6/18/2007 6:08 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

In drying out the insides of the box, it helps to prop it open... it can stay a little open even with the door closed... i've proped mine open with a little wad of paper to keep it ventilated.

Also feel the part of the door seals that are cloth coated... if they're all wet, you can be taking in water from improper sealing of the door skin... that;s where the plastic skin behind the door panel isn't well sealed so when water runs down the outside of the window and into the door, it ends up falling onto that skin and then tracking it's way into the car rather than out the vents in the bottom of the door.

the "cracks" could just be a little rust under the paint?
#79316 - in reply to #79021
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1