Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Bosch relay. How it works and wiring tips.

Page 2 of 2 12
Bosch relay. How it works and wiring tips.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/2/2007 1:22 AM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55
RE: Bosch relay. How it works and wiring tips.

Dave,
Did your grounding daisy chain appear to be in ok condition visually, clean contacts on both ends? Still made a differance to replace it? I've had this sort of problem on Ford battery cables and grounds numerous times, no matter what they look like and how clean the ends are they can be corroded enough somewhere up inside the insulation tp cause problems. I've inspected and cleaned mine pretty well but mayble I should just replace it.

Jonathan
#80977 - in reply to #80578
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/2/2007 3:00 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

hipine - 7/1/2007 12:52 AM

DesertStar - 7/1/2007 2:53 PM ....Alongside eccentric genius, portrayals of boffins usually highlight a naive ineptitude in social interaction. ...

Hey, I resemble that remark!

:)

-Dave G.

Dave, believe me, YOU are far and wide away from that statement!!!!!

amzimmy
#80990 - in reply to #80955
Author
Posted 7/2/2007 11:33 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

On my grounding cable the connections appeared fine, but the wire itself between the engine and chassis had a lot of broken strands.  Mine was not insulated at all, just thick copper braid with sort of flat "bar" or "band" connectors in the right places.  I guess I don't even know if that was OEM or not.  I replaced it with regular battery cables, not a factory part.  I have that dual Odysey set up with the combiner, so I have lots of extra cables around there.  I think there's a pic around soneplace on a thread if you search "dual battery" with me as the author.

-Dave G.

#81019 - in reply to #80977
Author
Posted 7/2/2007 12:26 PM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

Dave, for what it's worth, I have changed all my "band" copper strips, with 10mm (0,4") insulated welding cables, I have been told that the thinner and the greater quantity of single wires is the best conductor ?!? True or false?

amzimmy
#81027 - in reply to #81019
Author
Posted 7/2/2007 12:34 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

I like them too.  I used to know a guy who stocked the stuff and could put real nice ends on them too.  But I've lost track of him, so I have some crummy auto parts store cables on there now.  They seem to be holding up okay, and for me the battery thing seems to only last a few years before I decide I want to do it differently. 

With the diesel now, one of those Odyseys (I picked little ones to get two in the tray) alone won't crank it fast enough to start when it's below 20F outside, so I had to leave them combined all winter.  So now I'm thinking about putting one monster battery in the tray and re-locating the two odysesys somewhere else to serve as house batteries.  So you see, I end up "obsoleting" my cables quicker than they wear out!  Some day I'll settle down and then have to put in real good cables.

All the best,

-Dave G.

#81028 - in reply to #81027
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12