Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/4/2007 1:03 AM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55
617 oil filters

Is the part number for a G 617 oil filter the same as for sedans? Do many of you buy them at regular autoparts stores? I have only bought them at dealers so far, but assume they must be pretty common. Any preference on brands, or nationwide chains that may stock them?

Jonathan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/4/2007 1:38 AM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: 617 oil filters

Hi Jonathan, I have been using the Mahle Filter OX 78 D micro-star for a long time. They used to be and are now KNECHT. Made in Austria which in the G must count for something. They are the same filters as the 123/126 chassis diesels in the US as 240D, 300D and 300 Turbodiesels. Mann makes the same filter, but I don't have that number for you. You can get them through good autopart stores but beware of what might be in the box. The European filters that are OEM Mercedes are superior to others in my opinion because of the density of the filer media in the metal can. There are a lot more pleats of paper media in there compared to other US spec filters. I know Purolator stocks the same filter and sometimes in the box will be a Mann but more often there will be a "Made in India" filter in there. They work but I have found bird feathers inside one! No kidding.
Other standard brands like Fram, Wix and the in house Napa/ Carquest filters do not have the same standards for amound of pleated filter media inside. Even if they say Napa "Gold" they are not of the quality of the real OEM filters. The same is true for Air and Fuel filters. Night and day difference. I can recommend Performance parts as a place you can order them for reasonable cost. The Oil Filters that fit 77-'85 Diesels are $8.75 each and if you buy 5 or more they Drop to $7.90. Part number 18-006. They come with the Big O ring and the correct crush gaskets. Not the giant crush ring for the stock G sump. They supply only OEM filters. The are PerformanceProducts4benz.com or 1-800-243-1220. Look at the 123 chassis maintenance section. All of the filters are there, Air, Oil, Fuel, Power Steering as well as valve cover gaskets , light bulbs and Conti belts. The best stuff at reasonable prices. I've had good luck buying things I need there.

Cheers,

-Dai
#81187 - in reply to #81184
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1