Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Simple roof rack ideas suggestions

Page 1 of 5 12345
Simple roof rack ideas suggestions
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/9/2008 10:21 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500
Simple roof rack ideas suggestions

I need some ideas folks. I have a roof rack on my G. Frankly, I do not use it, with the exception of using it as a holder for my spare fuel cans. It is pretty much a waste of space for the moment and would like to trim down a bit. I only put the fuel cans on when going to the wild and could easily get by with some sort of "state-of-the-art" or mainstream style ski rack.with TWO bars to mount my homemade fuel canister holder on. I would then just put the rack on when needed...small, easy to store etc.
What rack systems are best for the G's high roof line have those of you with skis or boards found to be the best fit and most secure ? I would definitely want something 'trail worthy" as far as the brackets go.
My last resort would be to cut down my rack and reweld end pieces and rail, but have a feeling it would cost just as much as purchasing an alternative system.
Thanks, mike

Edited by DesertStar 3/9/2008 10:23 PM

(rack1.jpg)

(rack2.jpg)

(dvrack.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rack1.jpg (51KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments rack2.jpg (62KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments dvrack.jpg (59KB - 5 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 12:23 AM
syncro
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle(s): '84 280GE LWB > 300GD, '75 240D
RE: Simple roof rack ideas suggestions

you might try these -

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=3200&src=substitute&ref...

Steve Smith in Berkeley has them holding his roof top tent - they look good and are very strong. I would have used them but they don't clear my tropical top. so instead, I have a hannibal rack from a LR Disco.

I should add that Steve made custom square aluminum extruded cross bars that are cleaner looking than using the pipe clamps you see on that page.

Edited by syncro 3/10/2008 12:24 AM
#113400 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 12:37 AM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

Mike,

I think you have a great rack. Would not change a thing. The fact that you have so many legs makes it very off-road worthy.
A two bar rack with 2 full gas cans on top will most likely not survive long.
If you insist in something smaller - cut yours down to 3 legs. But it'll hardly be a quick mount either.

Keep what you have.
#113402 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 1:07 AM
elevatorbernie
Expert

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 1989 280GE

You could cut it in half and make two from it. Three legs on each. Then if you need extra capacity just mount on your extra rack.

Edited by elevatorbernie 3/10/2008 1:07 AM
#113405 - in reply to #113402
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 1:48 AM
DesertStar
Expert

Hmmm, I have the two thought extremes going now. I agree with you Harald on the rack quality of what I presently have, and had durabilty concerns of downsizing to the Thule type crossbars. I like E-Bernie's idea of cutting in half but the trouble may be more than I want to accomplish. For the cost of a Thule, might actually be worthwhile to custom build a smaller more durable unit with Hannibal like feet to distribute weight in the gutter length of the rack, but only 32 inches or something similar to that which was pictured on a W461 6x6.
The time factor is really not that big of a deal as it presently takes me 10 minutes to remove or install rack by myself...it was more a matter of storage and reduced wasted space.
Thanks for the thoughts/ideas...they always help in either sprouting new ideas or rethinking what exactly I want to accomplish.
Mike

(grack461.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments grack461.jpg (40KB - 4 downloads)
#113408 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 2:58 AM
nugat
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 280GE, 290GD, c303
Re: Simple roof rack ideas suggestions

Very good G-specific rack with all kinds of accessories is made by www.africanoutback.co.za. It's made of aluminum flat panels that are easy to walk and sit on (full G roof support of 200kg, highest among 4x4). It is easily unmountable, as support points (8) stay on the car. You can mount a Hannibal or better www.echo4x4.co.za , roof tent . I like the latter as it mounts in front of the rack, unfolds in one move with the ladder having support on the bull bar. That way you have half of you rack left for other goodies. These can be attached by numerous accessories: spare tire, fuel cans, spade, hi-lift, awning, shower cabin, water tank, a table that slides in between the rack and the roof and even sand ladders go there. The actual climb-up ladder is in fact better from www.orc.de. Add some work lights... A very nice real expedition set up indeed. And you can always take it all off to regain more offroad look and abilities.
#113412 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 3:05 AM
Woody
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): '84 280GE -> 300GD turbo, '84 300SD veg, 06 Navion

Although I have no experience in the type of cargo racks shown here I can however vouch for the durability of Thule cross bars. I have countless stories of their strength and I have never seen cross bars fail. OK, once there were ten adults on the roof of one of my tour vans - it had five Thule cross bars on gutter mounts - they started bouncing in unison, and one of the bars caved a little bit, coming in contact with the roof. The other four bars survived. That was an extreme case.

The fact that each bar is separate from a "cage" means you can mount as many as you need. Typical bar spread for most roof accessories (bike mounts, ski racks, packasport boxes, etc) is a 30 inches. The roof of a lwb G allows four bars at such spacing. Heck, I have three bike trays and a Packasport on the roof of our Passat, mounted to the factory roof rails.

Yakima on the other hand, uses substandard materials in their bar clamp / gutter mount system. Plastic where it should not be. Thule uses all steel, tough as nails. It's a myth that they are weak in any way.

One more thing, then I'll shaddap: Thule gutter mounts can accept a single-keyed lock. The accessories, gutter mounts, even a roof cargo box (IMO the best way to carry skis & snowboards - outta sight, outta mind) can all be keyed alike. Nice security.
#113413 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 3:16 AM
DesertStar
Expert

Thanks for more insight nugat and woody. I always dreamed of having a setup like fernweh's 300ge (hannibal plus rooftop tent). Further insight into my needs from previous adventures and observing those that venture out regularly (Harald) deem a tent setup to be overkill, although nice to have, not a necessity to be comfortable and have a good time outdoors. I have found most of my needs can be met keeping the goods inside my G with the exception of the fuel cans....which I feel are better to have outside the cabin and of which a small rack would suffice. I generally travel by myself and never really hurting for space.
Mike
#113415 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 4:12 AM
nugat
Elite Veteran

Roof tent is not an overkill in Africa, it nicely protects you from snakes, scorpions, hyenas and to some extent other "visitors". Elsewhere--I agree. But it such a nice one-move unfold set up...On striking it you can do it in half time of ground tent. Of course id adds 100lb/50 kilos to your higher center of gravity, as anything on your roofrack.
#113420 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 4:32 AM
DesertStar
Expert

Nugat. I couldn't agree with you more. Overkill might have been a bad choice of words. It would be overkill for ME as my travels do not take me to the wilds as often as I would like.
I do like the convenience of keeping my G garaged when not in use. If I had a barn or traveled 3 times a month, than that would be the ticked for me.
Mike

Edited by DesertStar 3/10/2008 4:32 AM
#113423 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 5:52 AM
Maxwell Smart

Date registered: Dec 1899

What I find interesting is that virtually everyone here is an advocate of more feet and even having a continuous bar sitting in the rain gutter to reduce stress.

But my question is has anyone with a simple rack (such as a Thule) ever had a failure? The Canadian Military Gs do not have everything that people here say a rack should have, no continuous bar, tiny feet.... and yet you can not argue that they probably see more extremes than most people with a Hannibal or Arb rack will ever put their G through.

And yet they hold up... sure they have more feet. But even thule recommend using more feet under heavy loads.

So are Hannibal, Arb etc overkill on a G? Is it that Land Rover rain gutters are not as strong so need the continuous feet?

Just a thought and would love to hear comments.

(cdn_rack.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cdn_rack.jpg (7KB - 4 downloads)
#113424 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 6:11 AM
Maxwell Smart

Incidentally I have always been a big fan of Thule in the past as well. Put a lot of weight on them and never had problems.

I notice now that they have a "pro" range which is designed for builders etc but it has some nice options such as a full carrier basket and even an awning. It's also rated to 750lbs. Not sure if it would fit a G though....
#113425 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 6:18 AM
nugat
Elite Veteran

I drove a def110 with 8-feet African Outback roofrack and Echo4x4 roof tent for two weeks. After the first night the door would not close properly. We slept 2 adults plus child (very comfortably) but it probably deformed the construction slightly. Apparently G roof is the strongest of all 4x4,( rated at 200kg max load) Enough to look at the construction and hear the door close--compared to defender.
#113426 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 6:50 AM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

the problem with roof racks is not the load capacity - its the off road dynamics that require more legs for structural integrity (or one single strip of metal). Off-road defined as endless miles of corrugated roads. Some of the early Mercedes G-Club trips had several catastrophic roof rack failures of roof racks with fewer legs, which led to the development of racks with more legs and/or angled braces (and ultimately the 2 solid gutter strips). The roof rack problem is caused by the same dynamics that can make multi story buildings fail in earth quakes (each floor moves at a different lateral speed leading to column failures) - in our case car roof and roof rack experience constant changes in velocity (the roof rack wants to go forward when the car's roof has already slowed down and vice versa).
I am sure our German members have some pictures and insight on that issue. Several of the G-Club magazine issues had stories and pictures about that as well.
#113428 - in reply to #113425
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 7:39 AM
frank_be
Veteran

Vehicle(s): G350 Turbo

Copy this:

One M8 bolt goes in vertically and pulls the clamp up; then 2 bolts are tensioned hozontally so it won't move anymore under load and vibrations. The nice thing about stainless steel is, that it doesn't slide very wel over eachother. Meaning the clamp will not loose its position to the footplate.

Greetings,

Frank 

Edited by frank_be 3/10/2008 7:44 AM

(DSC01099-small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC01099-small.jpg (56KB - 7 downloads)
#113432 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 10:16 AM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55

Frank Be

Where did that bracket come from?

Jonathan
#113437 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 11:47 AM
Maxwell Smart

4x4abc - 3/10/2008 11:50 AM

the problem with roof racks is not the load capacity - its the off road dynamics that require more legs for structural integrity (or one single strip of metal). Off-road defined as endless miles of corrugated roads. Some of the early Mercedes G-Club trips had several catastrophic roof rack failures of roof racks with fewer legs, which led to the development of racks with more legs and/or angled braces (and ultimately the 2 solid gutter strips). The roof rack problem is caused by the same dynamics that can make multi story buildings fail in earth quakes (each floor moves at a different lateral speed leading to column failures) - in our case car roof and roof rack experience constant changes in velocity (the roof rack wants to go forward when the car's roof has already slowed down and vice versa).
I am sure our German members have some pictures and insight on that issue. Several of the G-Club magazine issues had stories and pictures about that as well.

In which case a multiple legged Thule should be sufficient. After all it would still be more beefy than what the Canadian military is using.
#113446 - in reply to #113428
Author
Posted 3/10/2008 1:12 PM
Woody
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): '84 280GE -> 300GD turbo, '84 300SD veg, 06 Navion

And for me the ability to remove, modify, add and adjust the rack is a big plus. In my view a large one-piece cargo rack is difficult to install, impossible to adjust and therefore rarely would be taken off.

Thule's "Moab" cargo basket is very tough, and Mike I think if you are really only carrying the jerry cans it would be enough. The upper cross bars could hold the cans in place, and double as additional mounting bars if you want something on top.

I also have to think of Harald's first comment, keep what you have, or shorten it and use that. It looks sufficient for your needs. For me that would not work because I like the flexibility to carry my canoe or four bikes or two bikes AND a canoe, or a box full of skis or nothing at all. Changing from these various configurations is not so difficult and the Thule cross bars with the gutter feet move easily and I can take the whole schmeer off by myself.

I personally don't mind the look of this cargo basket either. For $359 it would be hard to match with custom fab work.

(Thule Moab.jpg)

(Thule gutter foot low.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Thule Moab.jpg (30KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments Thule gutter foot low.jpg (20KB - 4 downloads)
#113451 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/11/2008 2:30 AM
elevatorbernie
Expert

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 1989 280GE

If your going Thule use the 332, I have it and it's stronger (500 lbs with 4 feet and 2 bars) than the regular type Thule rack and feet. Also it can be use with the basket.

Edited by elevatorbernie 3/11/2008 2:33 AM

(332.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 332.jpg (7KB - 4 downloads)
#113572 - in reply to #113451
Author
Posted 3/11/2008 12:09 PM
Maxwell Smart

elevatorbernie - 3/11/2008 7:30 AM

If your going Thule use the 332, I have it and it's stronger (500 lbs with 4 feet and 2 bars) than the regular type Thule rack and feet. Also it can be use with the basket. :)

I was wondering which Thule from the professional series fit... now I know. Though I do prefer the look of the standard Thule - the added strength of the pro series is a bonus.

How does it compare in price?
#113604 - in reply to #113572
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 5 12345