Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Simple roof rack ideas suggestions

Page 3 of 5 12345
Simple roof rack ideas suggestions
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/17/2008 11:12 AM
trc
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): MB G350DT '93; MB 300 SD '83 ; Subaru Forester,
Re: Simple roof rack ideas suggestions

Maxwell Smart - 3/13/2008 2:58 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the OEM rack for the G is a Thule....

Correction, here i come. Oris is OEM

edit: dooh. thairish already answered that

Edited by trc 3/17/2008 11:13 AM
#114422 - in reply to #113905
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/18/2008 4:22 AM
frank_be
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G350 Turbo
RE: Simple roof rack ideas suggestions

Jonathan Joseph - 3/10/2008 4:16 PM Frank Be Where did that bracket come from? Jonathan

From my brains and machinery

Greetings,

Frank 

#114503 - in reply to #113437
Author
Posted 3/18/2008 6:20 AM
Maxwell Smart

Date registered: Dec 1899

thairish - 3/17/2008 2:45 PM

That is neither me G nor me rack... I pulled the pic off of ebay-UK a few months ago because I liked both the G and the rack. You should be able to find more details on the rack in this catalogue:

http://www.mercedes-benz.sk/pdf/accessories/brochure_access_g.pdf

I currently have a Thule rack... not sure if it is OEM as part of a factory "ski rack" package or not, but I've decided it is useless unless carrying a kayak, surfboard, or something... it will soon be mothballed.

Happy St. Paddy's Day,
dd

Why do you say its useless? The thule has both racks and baskets available for it in addition to fittings for surfboards, bikes, etc as you mention.

#114508 - in reply to #114419
Author
Posted 3/18/2008 8:35 AM
ez rhino

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 2010 Rubicon Unlimited; 2009 Mini Clubman JCW

Maxwell, do you have a link for the heavy duty Thule basket (third picture)? I looked all over the Thule website but could not find it.
#114512 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/18/2008 9:27 AM
Maxwell Smart

ez rhino - 3/18/2008 1:35 PM

Maxwell, do you have a link for the heavy duty Thule basket (third picture)? I looked all over the Thule website but could not find it.

It is hard to find and oddly is not in all their catalogues - only some.

http://www.thule.com/upload/Thule%20Professional/ThuleFitGuide_Heav...

and

http://www.thuleprofessional.co.uk/Thule_Professional_catalogue_eng...

says its only for vans but as elevatorbernie just demonstrated it does fit on the G.

Edited by Maxwell Smart 3/18/2008 9:32 AM
#114513 - in reply to #114512
Author
Posted 3/19/2008 12:15 AM
thairish

Vehicle(s): 461: 230ge/swb & g300cdi/lwb

Maxwell: I have that first basket you pictured... it is too weak to handle anything heavy, like jerry cans for example. I thought about carrying some extra fuel into Laos a few weeks ago, but no way on that basket. I ended up just keeping an empty can inside as a little insurance... never ended up needing it. I have been able to easily fit everything inside where it is clean, dry, secure, less wind noise & resistance, etc. -- everything others have been saying. Fun to look at all the gear in photos & catalogues... I just don't use it.

Cheers,
dd

Edited by thairish 3/19/2008 12:18 AM
#114602 - in reply to #114508
Author
Posted 3/19/2008 3:14 AM
elevatorbernie
Expert

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 1989 280GE

Maxwell Smart - 3/18/2008 6:27 AM

http://www.thuleprofessional.co.uk/Thule_Professional_catalogue_eng...

says its only for vans but as elevatorbernie just demonstrated it does fit on the G.
The Thule rack I have, has different legs then the ones pictured in the UK catalogue. The UK model looks like it would fit too, you just have to make sure the rise is high enough to clear the roof. The cross bar looks the same though. I havn't seen that heavy duty basket in the catalogue over here....too bad it looks good.

Edited by elevatorbernie 3/19/2008 3:20 AM
#114610 - in reply to #114513
Author
Posted 3/19/2008 5:45 AM
Maxwell Smart

elevatorbernie - 3/19/2008 8:14 AM

Maxwell Smart - 3/18/2008 6:27 AM

http://www.thuleprofessional.co.uk/Thule_Professional_catalogue_eng.pdf

The Thule rack I have, has different legs then the ones pictured in the UK catalogue. The UK model looks like it would fit too, you just have to make sure the rise is high enough to clear the roof. The cross bar looks the same though. I havn't seen that heavy duty basket in the catalogue over here....too bad it looks good. :)

Interesting - seems to be no consistency! But I have now noticed that they have a gutter foot which looks suitable for the G and looks more like their "consumer" rack foot.

http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductDetailPage____43126.aspx
#114614 - in reply to #114610
Author
Posted 3/19/2008 9:58 AM
DaveS

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle(s): 84 280GE, 84 300SD

Mike,

Yakima is a great roof system, contrary to some members opinions. I've been using Yakima hard for many years with 2 low speed impacts which caused damage to the drip edge gutter of the car and flexing to the rack. At no time have I ever had a system detach from the vehicle. I have easily over 100,000s of miles.
The bars have a tendency to rust at the ends or at any damage to the coating, over time. You may also change the bars to solid stainless steel as I have a couple of sets. Yakima is more popular than Thule, but Thule is also a great system.
I constantly surpass the weight limitations quoted on the specifications and have yet to witness a failure. The g-wagon roof requires a high rise base.

Good luck,

Dave
#114626 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/21/2008 2:00 AM
thairish

Vehicle(s): 461: 230ge/swb & g300cdi/lwb

Anybody familiar with Atera rack systems?

http://www.atera.eu/en/01_Home/index.php

http://www.atera.eu/en/30_Products/10_Car-Van/10_Roof/80_car-type-l...

Edited by thairish 3/21/2008 2:01 AM
#114844 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/21/2008 6:48 AM
nugat
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 280GE, 290GD, c303

As a rule I would be very cautious with manufactureres without a proven track record. To me there are two countries where roof racks are used on every day basis and their manufacturers have the relevant experience: Australia and South Africa.
As an aside one can point to Hummer usabilty in contemporary armed conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hummers are lousy, even with the highest grade armor. They were not built for the kind of conflict where IED, sorry, home made road mines, are main weapon. South African mine resistant carriers were. The key is a V-shaped chassis. Now USA buy and try to implement the technology.
#114849 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/21/2008 8:41 AM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55

Nugat,

Don't know what this has to do with roof racks but there is a little innovation in mine resistant vehicles going on in the US. Heres a company in my home town that develops and builds them.

http://www.forceprotection.net/

Jonathan
#114855 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/21/2008 12:48 PM
nugat
Elite Veteran

It was an exaggerated example of situations where lack of experience in particular engineering applications can influence safety of users. It is good that 30 years after SA and 4000 deaths later, US finally learn the lesson of fighting guerilla warfare. You must surely know that this little factory in your hometown is exactly based on the South African know-how. (FPI hired the SA constructor, dr Vernon Joynt, to design their vehicles).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10241461
#114870 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/21/2008 12:50 PM
Maxwell Smart

nugat - 3/21/2008 11:48 AM

As a rule I would be very cautious with manufactureres without a proven track record. To me there are two countries where roof racks are used on every day basis and their manufacturers have the relevant experience: Australia and South Africa.

I fail to see why roofracks would be used more here than in other countries.

As for mines (yes what does this have to do with racks and why does SA make the best anti-mine vehicles?) there is a modified G with the similar V shaped undercarriage for deflecting mines. It's not as extreme but it is a factory option....
#114871 - in reply to #114849
Author
Posted 3/21/2008 1:39 PM
nugat
Elite Veteran

The question could be broader: why Australia and SA make the best offroad and camping equipment and accessories?
Why Land Rover is a pitiful piece of underengineering and Australian Maxi Drive can put it at par or above anything else offroad? Why ARB, OME, Hannibal, Engel, African Outback are world leading brands? Not in sales, I am sure Thule outsells all roofracks made on the southern hemisphere. But it's enough to try any of the above mentioned brands' products to understand why they are the best. They are very cleverly designed, overengineered, manufactured without a compromise . Just like our Gs. And why they come from Australia and SA?
Geography? Climate? Landscape/transportation functions factor ? Clever pioneering spirit? The real need as mother of invention? Enough for a doctoral thesis in economy&anthropology.
#114881 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/21/2008 2:41 PM
Maxwell Smart

nugat - 3/21/2008 6:39 PM

The question could be broader: why Australia and SA make the best offroad and camping equipment and accessories?
Why Land Rover is a pitiful piece of underengineering and Australian Maxi Drive can put it at par or above anything else offroad? Why ARB, OME, Hannibal, Engel, African Outback are world leading brands? Not in sales, I am sure Thule outsells all roofracks made on the southern hemisphere. But it's enough to try any of the above mentioned brands' products to understand why they are the best. They are very cleverly designed, overengineered, manufactured without a compromise . Just like our Gs. And why they come from Australia and SA?
Geography? Climate? Landscape/transportation functions factor ? Clever pioneering spirit? The real need as mother of invention? Enough for a doctoral thesis in economy&anthropology.

"The best" is highly subjective.

I've had Thules on rain washed fire roads in the Canadian back-country (no less hard than desert sand) with extreme loads subject to high weight and high wind. I think they will with stand whatever is thrown at them. If you need to carry more weight add more feet though I agree with BusBar that I would rather throw anything heavy in the vehicle itself. Thule have a guarantee that their racks will not damage your car - I think that speaks highly of their confidence in them.

As far as camping equipment give me something with the little known name Marmot on it over Outback or whatever SA/Australian brand you can name any day of the week - especially in any adverse weather. I'm more interested in gear that will survive storms - wind, snow, rain... After all what does South Africa and Australia have in common? Sun and heat - as far as extremes to equipment goes it doesn't go that far.

I think there is far too much hype though I won't disagree about Land Rovers....

#114886 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/21/2008 2:51 PM
clubgwagen.com
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GE Cabriolet

one of my thules i bought used from a friend in 1990, it was already 3 years old. Well it has been on 20+ cars, and although plastic hand tightening knobs are long gone, it still works fine.

I have bent the bars usually from walking on them, but otherwise, I have not ever bent them from a load, even in rough terrain.

new bars are $60 so no big deal if it happens once every 4 years.
the wider and longer two bar sets fit the G, 65" and 70 something I think.
The longer, of course, the weaker.

so my old set mentioned above does have shorter bar length, and has never bent. (have not used it on Gwagen except my fibreglass hardtop cabrio, and then becuase the gutters are fibreglass, only use for light stuff like skis/bikes.

otherwise, pile it on! I've had 300 lbs of lumber, steel tubes, ladders, canoes, kayaks, surfboards, whatever!

-mike

#114887 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/21/2008 3:58 PM
nugat
Elite Veteran

Not surprisingly everybody likes what he knows and owns...
Five questions about Thule:
--can you stand and walk on it (comfortably, without bending)?
--can you mount a roof tent on it?
--what's the load area (LxW)?
--what's the rack's weight?
--any attachments for offroad/camping equipment (hi-lift, spare tire, jerry cans, water tank, awning, spade, table, sand ladders, shower curtain, propane tank etc)

Edited by nugat 3/21/2008 3:59 PM
#114892 - in reply to #113396
Author
Posted 3/21/2008 4:38 PM
Maxwell Smart

nugat - 3/21/2008 8:58 PM

Not surprisingly everybody likes what he knows and owns...
Five questions about Thule:
--can you stand and walk on it (comfortably, without bending)?
--can you mount a roof tent on it?
--what's the load area (LxW)?
--what's the rack's weight?
--any attachments for offroad/camping equipment (hi-lift, spare tire, jerry cans, water tank, awning, spade, table, sand ladders, shower curtain, propane tank etc)

Ha ha...

- Can you stand on it? Well if it's rated for 500lbs (2 bars) and 750 lbs (3 bars) and you bend it, then you probably have to worry more about the shocks of your G....
- A roof tent? Well I suppose if one must but I like Harald's approach...
- Load Area... hmmm depends on which rack you choose but they do a 180x120 up to a 450x160cm and countless sizes in between.
- The base weight is about 20kg for the small basket
- Wasn't aware that you needed special attachments for water tanks, tables, spades, shower curtains??? BUT they do do special attachments for things that need it....

Such as
- you can put a boat on it - no wait make that a couple and still have room for a mountain bike or two.
- add an awning to sit under when its raining
- add a locking box to hold everything from skiis to spades and water tanks, tables....
- shorten the rack when you need to carry less or just use the bars on their own if need be...
- add rollers to help you put up heavy loads on your own
- lock it

Sorry couldn't resist... just seems a little juvenile. "My dad is stronger than yours...."
#114896 - in reply to #114892
Author
Posted 3/21/2008 4:55 PM
nugat
Elite Veteran

...actually owning an old, funny rhomboid of a vehicle and writing about it into the void of cyberspace is mighty juvenile by itself, the rest is just the consequence...

Edited by nugat 3/21/2008 4:57 PM
#114899 - in reply to #113396
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 3 of 5 12345