Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : How-to instructions for modifying the diff locker switch box

Page 2 of 3 123
How-to instructions for modifying the diff locker switch box
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/24/2008 2:03 PM
roughneck
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2
RE: How-to instructions for modifying the diff locker switch box

Understood. cap duly doffed.
#125118 - in reply to #125095
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/25/2008 2:48 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
READ THIS: How-to instructions for modifying the diff locker switch box

Warning: There is more than one version of the locker controller.  Erik's 2000 had a completely different PCB layout.  Mine appears to be the same layout but an older production run (different component manufacturers, same function).

The modifications for this board are as shown below.  Sorry about the quality, these were just notes to myself.  The other gotcha is that instead of a ribbon cable between the boards there are hard pins.  20 of them.  It takes some skill to separate the halves without damage.

Edited by AlanMcR 6/25/2008 2:50 PM

(DiffLockBoard.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DiffLockBoard.jpg (167KB - 2 downloads)
#125195 - in reply to #124987
Author
Posted 6/25/2008 3:34 PM
GwagenLover
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2016 G550 & 2016 GLE350

With the above mod shown, are the pins to the two specified transistors still lifted?
#125199 - in reply to #124987
Author
Posted 6/25/2008 4:02 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

GwagenLover - 6/25/2008 12:34 PM With the above mod shown, are the pins to the two specified transistors still lifted?

The two (known) board designs are completely different.  While I had it apart I looked for a similar set of transistors, but didn't find them.  The documented mod worked on Erik's G.  I'l plug mine back in again tonight and see what happens. 

The warranty sticker on mine shows "Hardware V.2.1".  I suspect that MB had to update the module to account for the ESP feature. 

Why they didn't just redo this with a $1 microprocessor, I can't understand.  The overall design would have been much cheaper.   Plus they could have added diagnostics for nearly $0.  The most useful diagnostic would be feedback indicating that the locker solenoid isn't connected.  Speed dependent front locker disengagement would have paid for itself if it prevented even one lawsuit.

#125205 - in reply to #125199
Author
Posted 6/25/2008 4:22 PM
GwagenLover
Extreme Veteran

Having been a industrial electronic technician in the 60's, 70's and 80's, the old saying "use it or loose it" has shown to be true, and I have lost the ability and equipment to program Eproms and also the background for chip selection.
I am very curious as to where you guys got the diagram for this board and the knowledge of its circuitry.
It would take days for an old ET to trace this circuit and research the chips to make any sense of the jumpers you have added unless one was active in the Electronic world.
I must a$$ume you are very knowledgable in this field
I would very much like to see a scematic drawing of this mod so as to better understand it.
As simple as the mod is, I would not want to blow up my board as it probably is big $$$$$'s
I would however luke to have the capabilities to select my 2002 lockers as I choose, but I need to be convinced that this is actually working.
HUmor and old ET and give up the drawing.....
#125209 - in reply to #124987
Author
Posted 6/25/2008 5:43 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

GwagenLover - 6/25/2008 1:22 PM Having been a industrial electronic technician in the 60's, 70's and 80's, the old saying "use it or loose it" has shown to be true, and I have lost the ability and equipment to program Eproms and also the background for chip selection. I am very curious as to where you guys got the diagram for this board and the knowledge of its circuitry. It would take days for an old ET to trace this circuit and research the chips to make any sense of the jumpers you have added unless one was active in the Electronic world. I must a$$ume you are very knowledgable in this field I would very much like to see a scematic drawing of this mod so as to better understand it. As simple as the mod is, I would not want to blow up my board as it probably is big $$$$$'s I would however luke to have the capabilities to select my 2002 lockers as I choose, but I need to be convinced that this is actually working. HUmor and old ET and give up the drawing..... :biggrin:

Heh.  As I recall, I was really bored, but needed to put in face time.  Then Erik casually mentioned the idea of independent locker engagement.  Thus a project was born. 

After determining that the majority of chips were garden variety logic gates I decided that tracing the circuitry might prove to be fruitful.  It is only a two layer board.  With a stereo microscope the work got done quickly.  I presumed that the flipflops latched the button press into a locker state.  All that was needed was to find the gate that required both a button press AND an activated locker.  Once these were found then all that remained was to fake the status of the locker.  There is probably a more elegant solution, but I got tired of tracing circuits.  I've since lost the circuit diagram, it was definitely not suitable for framing.

Edited by AlanMcR 6/25/2008 8:08 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DiffLockCircuitDiagram.pdf (157KB - 40 downloads)
#125230 - in reply to #125209
Author
Posted 6/25/2008 9:27 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,

GwagenLover - 6/25/2008 1:22 PM

HUmor and old ET and give up the drawing..... :biggrin:

Sorry, no circuit diagram. I tried to get hold of one, but they don't exist. I had to figure it out with a scope probe and a pot of coffee. To make it even more fun, the board is double-sided, and the surface-mount components hide most of the tracks. Big pot of coffee.

But it definitely works. I'll do a vid on youtube for you later if I get a chance.

Richard
#125255 - in reply to #125209
Author
Posted 6/25/2008 10:01 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55

Just for fun do a search on this forum under occupations, and you'll see some of our members are "very" qualified to play with circuit boards.

Jonathan
#125257 - in reply to #124987
Author
Posted 6/25/2008 11:22 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,

Here's a short clip of video showing how the modified switch pack works....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Gt4z-nWFQ

Not quite as interesting as the sneezing panda vid. I'm guessing I'll get 5 views max. At least I finally discovered a use for the Flip videocam that seemed like such a good idea in Costco.
#125263 - in reply to #125255
Author
Posted 6/26/2008 1:39 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

Confirmed: READ THIS: How-to instructions for modifying the diff locker switch box

AlanMcR - 6/25/2008 11:48 AM

Warning: There is more than one version of the locker controller.  Erik's 2000 had a completely different PCB layout.  Mine appears to be the same layout but an older production run (different component manufacturers, same function).

The modifications for this board are as shown below.  Sorry about the quality, these were just notes to myself.  The other gotcha is that instead of a ribbon cable between the boards there are hard pins.  20 of them.  It takes some skill to separate the halves without damage.

This fix does work for the middle year locker controllers.  I just did the fix shown in the pictures and tested the lockers.  They work in any order,

#125270 - in reply to #125195
Author
Posted 6/26/2008 8:08 AM
GwagenLover
Extreme Veteran

Geesh! Looking at the drawing, I have just realized how much I have forgotten over the past 20 years.
My brain power was in high gear at that time.:bleh:
It did jog my memory as I had to decide if it was and gate, nor gate or nand gate logic. Then I got to thinking about all of the old stuff I learned in my earlier years.
Good work and my hat is off to all you really bright folks........of course you had to learn it from someone who came up with it from the beginning.
You may look back in about 20 years when a smart young genius jogs your old thoughts too.
Thank you for the memories.... and for the circuit changes.
I am going to sit back an recall those days for a moment.
#125280 - in reply to #124987
Author
Posted 9/5/2008 4:40 AM
ONE
Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle(s): G-less at the moment...ford

W5YK - 6/23/2008 11:47 AM

...In fact there are two separate disable circuits....

Pin 4 is the ESP disable output from the diff lock switch pack to the ESP unit. It disables the ESP when any locker is selected (ie any yellow light is on). It does this by pulling Pin 4 to ground. The ESP unit disable input has an internal pull-up resistor holding it at 12V.

Pin 8 is the ABS disable output from the diff lock switch pack to the ABS unit. It is disables the ABS when any locker actually engages (ie any red light is on). It does this by pulling Pin 8 to ground. There is no pull up resistor in the ABS unit, it is in the diff lock switch pack. So if you remove the switch pack, the ABS alarm comes up in the dash display, but the ESP alarm does not.

The ESP disable is a "hard" disable. The ESP will not come back on when you go over 40mph like it would if you had pushed the ESP button on the dash. I believe there are only two conditions for the ESP - either on or off. I don't think there is an intemediate soft setting.

So if you wanted to install a "hard off" switch for the ESP, you could just wire a switch from Pin 4 to ground.

You could also install an ABS disable switch on pin 8 ......... So it must be possible to buy the little plastic bits to make those switches work. You'd probably only have to spend three weeks on the phone to Germany to sort all that out. Please post it here afterwards!

Thanks a MILLION for this info - hopefully I can convert this knowledge into 2 new switches on my 07 G55

Would anyone know if the 07 lock switch assembly is still the same -anyone has the part number for the assembly - thinking about ordering a spare one to do the mod ( if spare is not too $$$)

Edited by ONE 9/5/2008 4:47 AM
#130957 - in reply to #125015
Author
Posted 7/9/2009 2:03 AM
jllorepe
New user

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle(s):

W5YK - 6/23/2008 4:47 PM

Yes, I did take a look at that. I had the same plan!

It turns out the the theory about pin 7 is not correct for all models of Gwagen. On G500 models pin 7 is not connected to anything in the vehicle. There is not even a pin in the connector for it.

In fact there are two separate disable circuits.

Pin 4 is the ESP disable output from the diff lock switch pack to the ESP unit. It disables the ESP when any locker is selected (ie any yellow light is on). It does this by pulling Pin 4 to ground. The ESP unit disable input has an internal pull-up resistor holding it at 12V.

Pin 8 is the ABS disable output from the diff lock switch pack to the ABS unit. It is disables the ABS when any locker actually engages (ie any red light is on). It does this by pulling Pin 8 to ground. There is no pull up resistor in the ABS unit, it is in the diff lock switch pack. So if you remove the switch pack, the ABS alarm comes up in the dash display, but the ESP alarm does not.

The ESP disable is a "hard" disable. The ESP will not come back on when you go over 40mph like it would if you had pushed the ESP button on the dash. I believe there are only two conditions for the ESP - either on or off. I don't think there is an intemediate soft setting.

So if you wanted to install a "hard off" switch for the ESP, you could just wire a switch from Pin 4 to ground.

You could also install an ABS disable switch on pin 8 (I need to check you can just pull that low without blowing up the output when its high). That way you could avoid having to engage the center diff on loose gravel roads just to turn off the ABS, which is what I've been doing.

Someone who is even more obsessive-compulsive than I am might like to look into the unused rocker switches to either side of the red hazard light warning switch. It would be cool to use those for ESP and ABS disable. Better than Radio Shack toggle switches shoved through a hole. On the G500, they are mechanically disabled, but on other models of Merc, eg C-class, they are mechanically enabled. So it must be possible to buy the little plastic bits to make those switches work. You'd probably only have to spend three weeks on the phone to Germany to sort all that out. Please post it here afterwards!

I have already made the switch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv2n39t3DN0

Thanks
#153445 - in reply to #125015
Author
Posted 7/24/2009 5:55 PM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa

W5YK - 6/23/2008 8:47 AM

You could also install an ABS disable switch on pin 8 (I need to check you can just pull that low without blowing up the output when its high). That way you could avoid having to engage the center diff on loose gravel roads just to turn off the ABS, which is what I've been doing.

Someone who is even more obsessive-compulsive than I am might like to look into the unused rocker switches to either side of the red hazard light warning switch. It would be cool to use those for ESP and ABS disable. Better than Radio Shack toggle switches shoved through a hole. On the G500, they are mechanically disabled, but on other models of Merc, eg C-class, they are mechanically enabled. So it must be possible to buy the little plastic bits to make those switches work. You'd probably only have to spend three weeks on the phone to Germany to sort all that out. Please post it here afterwards!

Richard,

did you ever figure out, if it is save to ground pin 8 in order to disable the ABS system?

I finally took that rocker switch apart..........and "freed" the unused switch - very simple, just have to cut off that little tab

Now the only thing is to find a tiny micro switch, I would like it to be a momentary one, to control a small relay to turn the ESP or ABS system off. Use a loop/latch circuitry for the relay coil so when the ignition is cycled on again the systems (ESP or ABS) are back active automatically.

(IMG_2251.jpg)

(IMG_2253.jpg)

(IMG_2254.jpg)

(IMG_2255.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2251.jpg (63KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2253.jpg (50KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2254.jpg (41KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2255.jpg (47KB - 0 downloads)
#154464 - in reply to #125015
Author
Posted 7/25/2009 11:33 PM
fernweh

jllorepe - 7/8/2009 11:03 PM

I have already made the switch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv2n39t3DN0

Thanks

I have made two switches, but no video........done

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=14929&po...
#154507 - in reply to #153445
Author
Posted 5/19/2011 2:02 PM
jllorepe
New user

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle(s):

Re: How-to instructions for modifying the diff locker switch box

You may put a picture with you electric wiring diagram?

thanks
#190035 - in reply to #154507
Author
Posted 5/19/2011 6:51 PM
fernweh

jllorepe - 5/19/2011 11:02 AM

You may put a picture with you electric wiring diagram?

thanks

Sorry,

but I can't do that. It is a safety issue IMHO that everybody has to decide for themselves

Karl
#190042 - in reply to #190035
Author
Posted 5/19/2011 7:40 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

On the note of modding the switches...  Does anyone have one of the original 463 switch boxes?  The ones with mechanical switches?  I'll buy!
#190045 - in reply to #190035
Author
Posted 5/19/2011 8:00 PM
fernweh

AlanMcR - 5/19/2011 4:40 PM

On the note of modding the switches...  Does anyone have one of the original 463 switch boxes?  The ones with mechanical switches?  I'll buy!

Alan,

aren't the original W463 fitted with three separate switches?

Can't remember for sure......

(IMG_1942 (Medium).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1942 (Medium).JPG (113KB - 0 downloads)
#190049 - in reply to #190045
Author
Posted 5/19/2011 8:18 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

I recall that the original switch in the 463 was a faceplate with three mechanical switches.  Then came the integrated module (like my '96).  Sometime later, probably when the original giant-crate-of-modules ran out, they upgraded the internals again.  I'm looking for the original design which may have only gone for a year or two. 

Anyone have the VIN for a really early 463?

#190050 - in reply to #190049
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 3 123