Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class Treffens & Other G-Class Events : Jasper & Banff

Page 1 of 1 1
Jasper & Banff
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/9/2009 4:23 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Jasper & Banff

We will be visiting our son at Ft Lewis, WA either in mid to late May or mid August. I've always heard great things about Jasper and Banff NP's. Are they worth the 600+ mile drive to get there from Seattle?

Are there any special tips you can give?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/9/2009 5:19 PM
jnicol
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle(s): 91 300GD, 911 (993), Dodge Durango, Subaru rally
Re: Jasper & Banff

Dutch,

IMO, the trip would be worthwhile. The drive up the Icefield parkway (from Banff to Jasper) is outstanding. But just getting up there from WA, you will be treated to great scenery.

I'm sure there are many 'detours' or 'shortcuts' you can take using the forest service roads in BC (there is a very good book produced called "Backroad Mapbook" and they are available everywhere up here - you may require more than one, depending on the regions you'll be in).

I am not too familiar with the FS roads outside of my area. But I can give you this one piece of advice as per timing: In late May there will still be a lot of snow in the mountains and some passes (FS road ones) will not be passable even into late June. For this reason, you may want to do the trip in August. Unfortunately, in August it gets pretty busy around here with people touring around, and there will be few, if any, snow covered peaks. But the driving options will be much greater.

I was hoping to do some recon trips in southern BC with the goal of setting up a loop for our area members to have a little treffen. Would be fun to combine that with your trip - but unfortunately I will be away during both time frames you listed. (possibly back end of August though).
#140435 - in reply to #140431
Author
Posted 1/9/2009 5:29 PM
DUTCH

I should have mentioned that this will be in my ML - no off road exploration.

I'm looking at a route from Seattle -> Kamloops -> Jasper via #5. Then south on the Icefields Pkwy to Banff and then to Glacier NP in the US.
#140438 - in reply to #140435
Author
Posted 1/9/2009 6:50 PM
jnicol
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle(s): 91 300GD, 911 (993), Dodge Durango, Subaru rally

Are saying you can't off road in an ML?

That's a fine route. If you have time I would suggest a different route from Vancouver to Kamloops as opposed to the 5. (you can do either route in a day, the one I propose is a long day, or two short days with a stop in Whistler the first day)

Highway 99 (sea to sky highway) north through Whistler (good for a stop and stay over), Lillooet, Cache Creek and on to Kamloops via the 1. Still paved and in good shape all the way, but some interesting country and scenery in there. One hiccup could be construction for the Olympics - someone from Vancouver may chime in on the status of 99 to whistler.

Also, if you are not looking for offroad - I'd do the trip in May if you are able. Less traffic, moderate weather, and it's pretty hard to beat spring in the mountains.
#140443 - in reply to #140431
Author
Posted 1/9/2009 7:18 PM
Allister779

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle(s): 1990 300GD

I agree with Jim, mid May would be the time to do it. Just find yourself a place a head of time for the "May Long Weekend". (May 15 to 18) The first long weekend of summer, and the highways, campgrounds, and all the nice places are busy. The rest of the month would be a perfect time for a trip.

Jasper to Banff is a fantastic drive. Along the way there's the glaciers, and Lake Louise. You may see some snow, but nothing to be worried about.

There are some lesser travelled highways to get you from Banff to Glacier/Waterton that you would enjoy. And that would keep you out of Calgary. Highway 40 over the Highwood pass is wonderful, but I'll check the dates to see if it's open in May. Highway 22 through the foothills is one of my favourites in Alberta.

And of course if you're in my back yard, we'd have to meet up somewhere to show you a little western hospitality. And if the timing works out, and you're flexible with the routes, I could even show some of the most beautiful parts of BC.
#140445 - in reply to #140431
Author
Posted 1/9/2009 7:20 PM
Maxwell Smart

Date registered: Dec 1899

I concur - do it for the drive. Though I quite like both Jasper and Banff as well.
#140447 - in reply to #140431
Author
Posted 1/9/2009 8:22 PM
DUTCH

jnicol - 1/9/2009 6:50 PM

Are saying you can't off road in an ML?

Graded gravel OK. The North American 2007's no longer have a low gear in the TC and no locking diffs. You can raise the body for better ground clearance and there is an off road option that supposedly changes the gearing and perhaps something in the 4-Matic; but I wouldn't take it on anything worse than a well graded forest service road.
#140452 - in reply to #140443
Author
Posted 1/9/2009 9:31 PM
Allister779

All the roads I was thinking about are paved, but there are a few well maintained gravel roads that I wouldn't have any worries about sending you down. They may have a rough patch or two, but my wifes TDI Golf will make it without harm, I'm sure the ML would too.
#140453 - in reply to #140431
Author
Posted 1/10/2009 4:38 AM
elevatorbernie
Expert

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 1989 280GE

Dutch, yes it would be worth the drive, every part of BC is scenic I've never driven to Jasper before, but I've been through from Baniff to Vancouver and detoured through the Okanagan Valley, it was great. (mid June). I didn't have the time to go to Jasper then and always regreted not having gone that detour instead. It will take you +10hrs depending on traffic and border crossing to make Kamloops from Tacoma. I'm not sure how much time you have but, there are also alot of sites to see around the lower mainland of BC and the city of Vancouver, (I'll meet up with you if you stop over here or have some free time while passing through), also a detour to Victoria and Vancouver Island would be worth while, though you would need at least a day for that. Also for the return route...I would go by way of Invermere, Cranbrook, Creston (because I have not done it yet) then hwy 3 back to Hope. I've done hwy 3 from Hope to Creston....a very nice drive. About your dates I would take late May over mid Aug. if your in a rush. The weather won't be as good, yes snow could be a problem in late May, but the traffic will be light. If you travel in mid Aug. be prepared for a slow trip with mountain roads choked by thousands of vacationers. (most from Alberta in rv's heading to BC ) Another tip, one I know I don't have to tell you but I will anyway...some of these roads give new meaning to the words "steep grade" make sure your brake system is like new and your emergency brake is in order. People die all the time on BC roads.

Edited by elevatorbernie 1/10/2009 4:42 AM
#140468 - in reply to #140453
Author
Posted 1/10/2009 12:02 PM
DUTCH

RE: Jasper & Banff

Looking closer at the calendar, that leg of the trip will probably be the last week of May or into the 1st week of June.

I'll have the wife and daughter with me; and time will definitely be at a premium. Looking, I don't see a very direct route from Banff to Glacier NP. Still just looking at maps and drooling.
#140482 - in reply to #140431
Author
Posted 1/10/2009 1:09 PM
Allister779

The scenic route (and ironically more direct) would be from Banff, East on Highway 1, South on Highway 40 over the Highwood pass. 40 then meets up with Highway 22, and you continue south to Waterton (The Canadian side to Glaicier).

However, I don't think Highway 40 is open till June, so in that case: Highway 1 from Banff East to Highway 22. This will take you almost to Calgary. It's a major 4 lane highway at this point, and it's just another chunk of pavement. Once you get to Highway 22, turn south. You go through the towns of Bragg Creek, Turner Valley/Black Diamond, Long View. After Longview, there isn't much for towns till you come out at Pincher Creek. At that point you're very close to Waterton. I've never crossed the border there, so I don't know if you can get from Waterton to Glacier in the park, or if you need to leave the park and cross on one of the highways close by.

Caution, Highway 1 (TransCanada) and Highway 2 (QEII) would be the simplest routes to get you from Banff to Montana. However, the drive would be a test of your seat cushion. That would also mean going through Calgary, and that's a great way to ruin any holiday. They are just big wide motor ways, and they are no fun. The posted limit on those roads is 110, and the RCMP won't even look at you until you are over 120 km/h. And even then, only if they are bored.

Stick to the side roads, much nicer, and much more enjoyable.
#140488 - in reply to #140431
Author
Posted 1/11/2009 8:10 PM
GSAR

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle(s): '05 Powerwagon, '15 Jeep GC Summit ecodiesel

Do the Icefields Parkway!(Banff-Jasper Hwy) It is spectacular. May, especially, and June on that road could be snowy though. Bow Summit will be the place to watch. Lots of good hikes, walks. Lake Louise is a good lunch stop, but unless you like people and shopping I'd avoid the town of Banff. The suggestion of cutting down through Hwy 40 and avoiding Calgary is a great idea. It opens to through traffic on May 1st and there is a good chance of seeing Grizzly bears at Highwood pass. Lots more good hiking down low. Don't expect to get too high. It comes out at Longview at Hwy 22. Go south and stop in at the Bar U Ranch historical site for a real Alberta experience. Continue on south to Hwy 3, go east to Pincher Creek and south from Pincher Creek on Hwy 6 to Waterton and then to the border. This drive is almost as spectacular as the Icefields but south of Longview you're in ranch country!

You're in my back yard, so if you want some options let me know when you get near.
#140585 - in reply to #140431
Author
Posted 1/11/2009 8:30 PM
elevatorbernie
Expert

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 1989 280GE

I would drive sraight north from Tacoma, I-5 to Van., Hwy 1 to Hope , Hwy 5 to Kamloops, Hwy 5 to 93 to Jasper , Hwy 93 south to Hwy 1 detour to Baniff, then backtrack west on Hwy 1 to Hwy 93 to Radium hot springs, then Hwy 93 south to boarder, then on to Glacier NP.
#140587 - in reply to #140585
Author
Posted 1/12/2009 9:07 AM
DUTCH

RE: Jasper & Banff

You guys are getting me all exercised for this trip. It looks like the Seattle to Jasper, Banff and Glacier will happen the week of May 25 - US Memorial Day is the 25th.

The Sea to Sky suggestion looks very interesting. Then to Kamloops and Jasper. Icefield Parkway to Banff, and then the back roads to Waterton and Glacier. Looks like about a months worth of exploration that will have to be crammed into 4-5 days.

Sadly, hiking is no longer an option due to arthritic knees and hip.
#140620 - in reply to #140431
Author
Posted 1/12/2009 11:15 AM
DUTCH

GSAR - 1/11/2009 8:10 PM

The suggestion of cutting down through Hwy 40 and avoiding Calgary is a great idea. It opens to through traffic on May 1st and there is a good chance of seeing Grizzly bears at Highwood pass.

Just received a AB & BC Highway Map by Rand McNally. Right next to Hwy 40 on the map is printed: "Hwy 40 Closed Dec 1 to June 15". Looks like a very nice ride, if it's open. I can hope!
#140632 - in reply to #140585
Author
Posted 1/12/2009 3:21 PM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213

Dutch,

I might recommend going up Vancouver Island and taking the all day ferry out of Port Hardy up to Prince Rupert. The drive in to Jasper from there is through Prince George and is also very nice (not as nice as Sea to Sky highway) but the boat ride up the inside passage is unforgettable. Like going on a cruise with your car. :-)

Eric
#140655 - in reply to #140431
Author
Posted 1/12/2009 5:11 PM
DUTCH

otiswesty - 1/12/2009 3:21 PM

Dutch,

I might recommend going up Vancouver Island and taking the all day ferry out of Port Hardy up to Prince Rupert. The drive in to Jasper from there is through Prince George and is also very nice (not as nice as Sea to Sky highway) but the boat ride up the inside passage is unforgettable. Like going on a cruise with your car. :-)

Eric

Oh, Oh! Something else to consider.
#140667 - in reply to #140655
Author
Posted 1/12/2009 7:01 PM
GSAR

I called the district manager for Kananaskis and I stand corrected. Hwy 40 opens at midnight on June 14th. It was printed wrong on the map I had. Here's an scenic option that will add a little time to the trip and will involve a little wilderness gravel driving. Nothing too serious.

Start down Hwy 40 for about 3 kilometers then make a left onto Sibbald Creek Trail(Hwy 68). Go about 15 kilometers east to Powderface Trail which is a small gravel windy road heading south. Turn right and in 25-30 kilometers you'll intersect Hwy 66. Go straight and you're on your way to Hwy 22 at Bragg Creek. Hwy 22 takes you all the way to Longview etc etc. Instead, go only a couple of hundred yards on 22 and turn right onto Hwy 762. Wind your way down 762 to a stop sign at Hwy 549. Turn left(east) on 549 and you will again hit Hwy 22 this time at Millarville. Turn right to Turner Valley, Black Diamond, Longview and points south.

If you are short on time stay on Hwy 1 east until you hit the Hwy 22 exit to Bragg Creek. Do catch 762 to 549 as this is an actual shortcut and is very pretty country.(And you almost go by my door)
#140681 - in reply to #140431
Author
Posted 1/12/2009 11:41 PM
Allister779

<p>And if you pass a cyclist on 762 pedalling red road-bike, smile and wave, his other ride is a G. I grew up around calgary, and I only learnt about that road a few years ago. It's wonderful. I take it when ever I get an excuse.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Sorry Gsar, but this has been bugging me.  Isn't Powerface closed in the winter too?  I thought there was a winter gate at the end of 66, I think near forget-me-not pond.  I know in the spring we go cycling from Bragg Creek, up 66 to the gate, and back.  But for the life of me I can't find the gate on my map.  I hope I'm wrong, becasue that would be a wonderfull trip.<br /></p>

Edited by Allister779 1/13/2009 12:03 AM
#140697 - in reply to #140681
Author
Posted 1/13/2009 11:08 AM
GSAR

You are right Allister, but the gates at the north end of Powderface and at Elbow Falls open on May 15th so I didn't mention them. I'll keep my eyes open for you on Hwy 762.

Hwy 762 has become a mecca of sorts for the crotch rockets and the exotic sports cars. I scared the hell out of a couple of Ferrari and such owners a few years ago when they came screaming around a corner early one Saturday am and found me taking a lane and a half with my truck and big trailer. I was going by a cyclist I think and they had to be doing double the limit. I still get a chuckle now when I think about it. The locals, of course, aren't too happy with the traffic.
#140738 - in reply to #140431
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1