Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : panhard and radius arm bushing replacement. how to?

Page 2 of 2 12
panhard and radius arm bushing replacement. how to?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/6/2009 5:49 PM
86230GE

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: panhard and radius arm bushing replacement. how to?

ewalberg - 4/6/2009 3:58 PM

Well, i've now replaced my front panhard rod bushings, and all trailing arm bushings with the http://www.desert-service.com/shop/ yellow poly bushings. I also replaced the big bushing on the steering stabilizer to trailing arm with the their poly bushings. The little bushings between the steering stabilizer and frame linkages i didn't replace with poly becuase his bushings had a lot of clearance and they're supposed to be at least a light press.

These bushings look like something I might be interested in -- I do not know when they were replaced last...

Which package did you get, or did you buy them individually?? Do you have product numbers for each individual bushing? What were their individual costs?

Also, are there any companies that make these in the US or preferably CANADA??

Thanks in advance,

Edited by 86230GE 4/6/2009 5:58 PM
#148147 - in reply to #148136
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/6/2009 6:48 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

i bought the entire 449eur kit from him for the 463... which is five of his kits packaged together... i'm essentially returning the stabilizer kit minus the large non-round bushings between the stabilizer and trailing arms... the individual kits minus the stabilier kit costs the same as the whole package... which is probably why he's only giving me 30euro back instead of the 69eur he's asking for as a stand alone kit. They also have equivalent breakdown of kits for 460. His website makes it look a little like he's got duplicates of everything there, but if you look at the part number when you click on it, you can see it's got 460 or 463 in the part number.

After having done a panhard rod set (i haven't done the rears yet)... i don't think it's possible to put the factory bushings in there without the fancy tool MB recommends for the job. I think replacing all the bushings associated with the trailing arms (3 kits as he has it layed out) are the biggest hitters on making a change for the better. You can pull your panhards and look to see for any signs of the inner sleet hitting the outer sleeve to see if that's really necessary. The outer sleeve is curled inward pretty close to the inner sleec... not exactly sure why but i'd speculate it's either to limit total movement between the two on big hits or maybe just to give a better indication when the parts are worn out and so see signs they've been contacting each-other. i didn't see sign of contact between them but i did the front anyway more or less for kicks. I probably wont bother changing the rear for a few more years.

There's someone in england making them that roughneck has mentioned. http://www.supertrux.com/ here's the e-mail for them. LASupertrux@aol.com They also said they make full sets including for stablizers and panhard rods. No-ones ever posted for sources in the americas so i think it has to come from across the pond.

Edited by ewalberg 4/6/2009 6:50 PM
#148149 - in reply to #148147
Author
Posted 2/8/2010 6:36 PM
86230GE

RE: panhard and radius arm bushing replacement. how to?

I am trying to figure out all of the bushings that I would need to replace all of them on my G. The Desert Service pack looks great, but I am trying to evaluate the cost in respect to the MB rubbers

Can someone list the name/location and quantity of the bushings needed so I can proceed?

Thanks!!
#166024 - in reply to #143239
Author
Posted 2/8/2010 7:48 PM
Razon

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle(s): 1986 280ge Cabrio, 617A, 5sp manual

This is from my experience:
Your vibration came from tightening the front wheel bearing.
A loose wheel bearing compensates for other imperfections. In my case only 2 things ever caused that:
1. Alignment (I guess it could be other failed steering components but you've allready checked those)
2.Water in the tires. I know it sounds funny, but I have 37's and I don't have them balanced, yet I don't have any significant vibration, nevermind a death wobble. I air down very often, and since I don't have my own air compresson I use whatever source I find. Sometimes gas stations don't maintain their AIR services very good and they get water in the lines from condensation.
I'm telling you this expecially because you said sometimes you don't have any vibration at all. What happends is...when you drive slow, the water is always at the bottom, but once you reach highway speeds it starts to spin with the tire. Also I have an assumption that in the begining the steering stabilizer reduces most of the vibration, but because it has to work extremely hard at high frequency vibrations, the fluid probably foams up, and the shock stops working probably.
I don't have the problem anymore, so I can't look into this, but it always seemed to drive really nice first thing in the morning and once I drove on the highway for a bit it would get really bad.
I did an alignment, changed the tires and got rid of the water in them at the same time of course
#166029 - in reply to #143239
Author
Posted 2/8/2010 11:41 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

Razvan,

what other alignment, aside from toe in, could you possibly do?
#166052 - in reply to #166029
Author
Posted 2/9/2010 12:35 AM
Razon

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle(s): 1986 280ge Cabrio, 617A, 5sp manual

If you're refering to "other imperfetions", I meant worn out ball joints/U joints in the steering components. I guess I could have just said that, but i didn't want to ignore other things that I did not think about at the moment...like a worn out/not adjusted power steering box.

Edited by Razon-G280 2/9/2010 12:36 AM
#166059 - in reply to #166052
Author
Posted 2/9/2010 4:51 PM
86230GE

86230GE - 2/8/2010 6:36 PM

Can someone list the name/location and quantity of the bushings needed so I can proceed?

Thanks!!

I'd like to know how many different bushings I would need so that I can calculate whether the poly ones (from Desert Service) or the MB rubber ones may be more economical (aside from performance).

Thanks!
#166087 - in reply to #166024
Author
Posted 2/9/2010 5:15 PM
ewikran
Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle(s): W463 1997 300DT

I think the main components will be:

4x
http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info...

4x

8x

4x

4x

2x (link is for as set of two)
http://www.fourbyfourclub.com/W460SuspensionParts/W460StBushing.htm

4x (link is for as set of four)
http://www.fourbyfourclub.com/W460SuspensionParts/W460StLinks.htm
#166090 - in reply to #143239
Author
Posted 2/9/2010 5:18 PM
86230GE

ewikran - 2/9/2010 5:15 PM

I think the main components will be:

Thanks!!
#166091 - in reply to #166090
Author
Posted 2/9/2010 6:15 PM
512bbi
Expert

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 05G55kge,Range rover classic,clk55amg,ML 430

86230GE - 2/9/2010 2:51 PM

86230GE - 2/8/2010 6:36 PM

Thanks!!

I'd like to know how many different bushings I would need so that I can calculate whether the poly ones (from Desert Service) or the MB rubber ones may be more economical (aside from performance).

Thanks!

The performance is what makes them more economical because the poly you will never change again.

Mario
#166092 - in reply to #166087
Author
Posted 2/9/2010 6:22 PM
86230GE

The performance is what makes them more economical because the poly you will never change again.

Mario

Good point! Thanks for your advice.
#166093 - in reply to #166092
Author
Posted 2/9/2010 9:20 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

Just a note, desert services bushings for the stabalizer bar don't fit... they're too loose, so don't buy those... unless he acknowledges that they were too small and he's fixed it. He was surprised when i told them they were totally loose fitting and offered me $35 to take them back. All the others are snug and tight when assembled so i'm happy with them otherwise.

Other than finding some damage to the bushings that connect the axle to the trailing arms, the only real problem i was having was with the tire balance. And i'm having the same problem again... this time even my golden favorite place did a crap job after the first place had trouble... unbelievable... i'm friggin' pissed... but i sure saved money on gas taking my lotus down to LA since i wasn't in the mood to bolt the 2nd steering damper to deal with the current tire balance issue... i'm drivinig home tonight and get to then go back to balance shops and figure out who to freak out on to get things made right... or should i say balanced right...
#166105 - in reply to #166024
Author
Posted 4/6/2016 6:17 PM
ILIAN
Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500 1999 CL500

How are the poly bushings doing after all these years? Are they better than OEM?
#232056 - in reply to #143239
Author
Posted 4/6/2016 8:41 PM
Titus Pullo
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle(s): '90 Wolf 240GD, '06 G270 CDI.

ILIAN - 4/6/2016 6:17 PM How are the poly bushings doing after all these years? Are they better than OEM?
After more than four years on the market there is no single complain, so they must be doing good. A set is tested right now in Sonora rally and we will hear soon.
#232057 - in reply to #232056
Author
Posted 4/9/2016 2:48 AM
512bbi
Expert

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 05G55kge,Range rover classic,clk55amg,ML 430

Poly lasts for ever if it is made right but on the G will make tire balance even more critical because poly has more elasticity than rubber but on the G there is no other issues like on cars of squeaking etc or stiffer ride

Key to the G steering wobble issue is tire balance
The big secret to tire balance is to make sure your road force measurements never to exceed 15 pounds of force

Fifteen pounds of road force or less on each tire is passenger car specs not truck tire specs which they will tell you is normal up to forty pounds

Ask for 15 or less on each tire when you buy new and balance often making sure your rims and tires look round when spinning on the balancer and rotate tires on rims to balance with least weight to zero

The G needs all these to stay wobble free together with driving it everyday and when not park on jacks lifted slightly to reduce pressure on trailing arm to frame bushings because you sit too long they form and need miles and flexing to regain their shape ,so when compressed from sitting make trailling arms loose and your out of balance tires wil give you the wobble on the steering

When you of road every day they stay tighter because your bushings get their original form from forces of all directions and you have a better ride with the axles having less play forward or backwards

In other words your G needs to be off road to shine

Mario

Edited by 512bbi 4/9/2016 2:50 AM
#232067 - in reply to #143239
Author
Posted 4/12/2016 7:07 PM
ILIAN
Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500 1999 CL500

I was getting ready to install the OEM bushings I bought some time ago and found this thread looking for the torque values for the various bolts. I'm not going to install poly at this time because I think the OEM ones are pretty good since they lasted 16 years on my truck. Maybe in a few years I will consider using poly on the trailing arm to frame bushings and on the sway bar.

Mario I think I've seen a couple of posts from you in which you recommended OEM vs poly for some reason.

Titus, if you are attending the VOR I will see you there and maybe purchase a set of your poly bushings. I will remind you to bring a set right before the rally.
#232099 - in reply to #232067
Author
Posted 1/5/2018 11:19 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle(s): 500 GE, G55, LM002, H1

What is the final consensus on the Poly Bushings versus Rubber?

There is a Russian company, Siberian Bushing, that is making poly bushings for the W460, W461, and W463.

Are there any deficits to running Poly Bushings?

Thanks in advance.
#238053 - in reply to #143239
Author
Posted 1/6/2018 6:53 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

H1LM002G55 - 1/5/2018 11:19 PM

What is the final consensus on the Poly Bushings versus Rubber?

There is a Russian company, Siberian Bushing, that is making poly bushings for the W460, W461, and W463.

Are there any deficits to running Poly Bushings?

Thanks in advance.

We have a member here who also sells them Check out Titus Pullo on the For Sale Forum.
#238054 - in reply to #238053
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12