Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : SACHS HD vs Koni HT SPX on W46

Page 7 of 7 < ... 1234567>
SACHS HD vs Koni HT SPX on W46
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/1/2013 9:55 PM
jeremyw
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle(s): '03 G500 O'erlanderwagen
Re: SACHS HD vs Koni HT SPX on W46

I'm still loving my Koni Raid 90's! A few of the guys I've seen with the Fox's have had to send them back in to have them re-tuned for an American G500. I put my Koni's on and haven't had any issues(knock on wood).
#212638 - in reply to #173711
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/1/2013 10:09 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle(s): 500 GE, G55, LM002, H1

Aren't those the RAID / Race series that are even rougher than the standard off-road model for the G?

I am looking for something for street use. Thanks.
#212639 - in reply to #173711
Author
Posted 4/2/2013 1:14 AM
jeremyw
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle(s): '03 G500 O'erlanderwagen

H1LM002G55 - 4/1/2013 7:09 PM

Aren't those the RAID / Race series that are even rougher than the standard off-road model for the G?

I am looking for something for street use. Thanks.

RAID's are heavier duty than the Heavy Track's yes. Have I driven on the Heavy Tracks? No. Do I feel that my Raid's and Red/Brown springs are about as comfortable(a tad more truck-like yes) as my previous Brabus susp (Brabus-spec'd Bilstein's and Brabus/Eibach(?) lowering springs?--Yes.
http://www.koni.de/offroad/offroad-daempfer/
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=e...

HEAVY TRACK SUSPENSION FOR WHEEL CARS AND SUVS
KONI Heavy Track shock absorbers are designed for four-wheel vehicles and SUVs, and tested under extreme conditions. No matter the situation: whether on the road or off-road, which provide Heavy Track Mutes for a perfect road, optimum traction and driving pleasure.
Even if it is somewhat off the beaten track a gorier, grant off damper stability and more stamina for driver and vehicle. But even in the urban jungle and on long asphalt runways they make a good impression.
Unwanted rolling movements with SUVs are usually the result of a higher center of gravity will be reduced and the vehicle basically has a much improved road holding. With KONI Heavy Track thus cushioning and safety are guaranteed.
Driving safety and stability through individual adjustability
KONI HEAVY TRACK ® shock absorbers are fully adjustable and especially easy. This means that depending on the situation, the rebound force can be changed individually. In addition, these shocks have a large Dämpfkraftreserve. Comfortable cushioning, grip and safety are ensured at all times.
High-strength material for the heaviest loads
Heat-resistant seals and high-strength materials guarantee safety and durability of the product. The shock from the KONI Heavy Track Offroad program stand for reliable equipment, which brings its users safely and comfortably to your destination.
Optimum road holding, handling and grip
Adjustable for rebound and ideal for all conditions, whether on-or off-road
Specially designed, high-strength materials for maximum performance
With improved performance and damping
Improved road and thus improve driving safety
Robust design and processing
Long life
With the KONI Finder for offroad you having trouble finding the right Heavy Track shock absorbers for your vehicle.

RAID - HYDRAULIC SHOCKS for the demanding OFFROAD USE
In order to off-road rallies ride far ahead, we need a top equipment. Arctic cold, tropical humidity, sand, mud, water and debris, the material requirements in rallying could not be tougher.
KONI. With his years of experience in the development and production of shock absorbers for various purposes, as defined by the high-strength shock absorbers RAID new standards This hydraulic shock absorbers specifically designed for the toughest applications in rough terrain.
The technical sophistication behind KONI RAID
Constructed as a twin-tube damper, the wall thickness of the outer tube diameter during KONI RAID 2.5mm. Thus the shock absorber remains even in case of damage of the outer tube, for example by stones, intact.
The larger diameter of the outer tube provides storage and a larger oil capacity version, which provides excellent cooling efficiency and thus for every situation.
An extra strong seal keeps the possibility high shock pressure was. In addition, the adjustable dampers and most of which have a hydraulic stop, called hydraulic rebound.
Advantages of a hydraulic end stop - Hydraulic rebound
A hydraulic stop (Hydraulic rebound) reduces the speed of the piston before it can touch when extending the piston guide.
Thus, the train movement is at the end of the maximum rebound slowed by a hydraulic Endanschlagsventil by approximately 20 mm. The vehicle has thus at all times about the best possible stability.
Easy assembly of the KONI RAID
The fortifications of the KONI shock absorbers RAID correspond in their dimensions original parts, but are distinguished by more rigid materials, and excellent workmanship. Additional modifications are unnecessary.
Twin-tube damper technology:
The wall thickness of the outer tube diameter is 2.5 mm. So the dampers remain in case of damage of the outer tube, for example by stones, intact.
Storage tube:
Large bore (70 mm)
For optimum cooling efficiency and the volume of oil has doubled.
Fasteners:
solid and robust
The fasteners are welded all around (360 °)
adjustable
It is possible to recreate the damping forces of the droop. To tune your shock to new springs or varying load weights optimally and thus increase the life of your shock and the stability of the vehicle.
Double dynamic protection
Hydraulic rebound stop hydraulic >>
Shockproof >> extra strong seals to withstand high shock pressure
Simple installation
as fixtures with original dimensions comparable
Thus, no modifications to the vehicle are required.
KONI shock absorber also offers RAID set up for vehicles. With the KONI Finder for offroad you having trouble finding the appropriate RAID shocks for your vehicle."

Edited by jeremyw 4/2/2013 1:15 AM
#212645 - in reply to #212639
Author
Posted 4/2/2013 3:31 AM
512bbi
Expert

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 05G55kge,Range rover classic,clk55amg,ML 430
RE: SACHS HD vs Koni HT SPX on W46

About a month ago I finished beating my G to no death and to an amazing better ride from the shocks that I had when they were new.

The 90 raids are the best shock I have tried on the G and I am amazed at their longevity.

In my quest to always better the G I will be trying higher rate front springs only and my old 90s will be up to the task by turning the extension forces up by half a turn.

Last year I was thinking I was going to buy another set wondering if they will make it another season.
By season I mean my yearly use of the G which sits not driven much in the spring and early summer and then it goes to service towing for 3-4k and excluding towing another thirty to fifty miles going hunting and exploring mostly of road every day for six to seven months straight.

I used to do the same with my Rover and custom build Bilsteins with out towing and still do when I do not drive the G and I had them rebuild three times with in the same comparable use of the 90s.
Bilstein complained to me about them needing to be repaired(broken shafts besides getting worn out and not giving full control) so they asked how I used the truck.
When I told them what I do(as described above with the G) they said this is comparable to off road racing in total use and they will not warranty the shocks any more.
They quoted most people will take their Jeep thirty miles of road on a random weekend ......not daily.

I rate the koni 90s as the best and most durable shock since after a few seasons with this type of use even though their paint is half gone from the rocks they still ride like new!
Worth every penny and then some.

Mario
#212647 - in reply to #173711
Author
Posted 1/20/2016 11:19 AM
colsG55
Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle(s): G55 Classic 2000, TD5 110, 200 Series Land Cruiser

I fitted a set of 90 series Raids about 2 months back & now have about 5000 km on them over differing terrain. I have ORC rear springs & a HD OEM lifted spring on the front, I am not sure what as there are no markings but they seem to work well.

What surprised me most was after removing the 15 year old OEM Sach's with 116000 kms which still worked fine but the bushes we cracking & breaking up quite badly was how it now rides softer with the Raids compared to the old shocks, not overly but noticeably. I do miss the firmness a little on the when pushing it on road but off road & on rougher roads the softer ride is far nicer & less harsh. The old Sach's ran very hot especially when pushed on rougher roads, 70-75 deg was pretty normal on fast dirt roads, now with the raids they are a little over ambient temp which is a huge difference.

I will leave them as is for 6 months to let them settle in but I may crank them up 1 turn to stiffen them a little.

I fitted a set of SPX's to my Wifes Discovery 2 & they were very good initially but softened up quite a bit after about 1 year with on road use, they are now at their max setting & are OK, I must say I am a little disappointed in them.

I have a set of Tough Dog Ralphs on my LR 110 which are of a similar construction to the Raids, a big HD oil filled damper & they are now about 120 000km old with a lot of off use & abuse & they are still like new, I replaced the bushes a couple of months back & I am sure they will be good for another 100 000km, I really struggle to heat theses up even when pushed hard in the desert. I hope the Raids work as well & last as long as these, which I am sure they will when you read this report.

http://www.beadelltours.com.au/shock_absorbers.html

Edited by colsG55 1/21/2016 5:46 AM
#231249 - in reply to #173711
Author
Posted 12/2/2016 2:15 PM
gild
New user

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle(s): 2003 G55, 2008 Cayenne Turbo, 1967 230SL, 1975 911

RE: SACHS HD vs Koni HT SPX on W46

I installed the Koni SPX on my 2003 G55 a year ago and was extremely happy with the ride. Now, with almost exclusive on-pavement use, the shocks have zero compression or rebound resistance. Technical support at Koni NA immediately defaulted to the response that any internal damage was a result of my bottoming out the shocks and would not be covered by warranty. How does bottoming out occur with properly designed shocks on stock suspension with stock bump stops???

I'm very disappointed with Koni's lack of warranty and am now looking for an alternative...
#234678 - in reply to #173711
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 7 of 7 < ... 1234567>