Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : SACHS HD vs Koni HT SPX on W46

Page 5 of 7 <123456.05>
SACHS HD vs Koni HT SPX on W46
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/5/2011 10:16 PM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: SACHS HD vs Koni HT SPX on W46

Redbull Addict - 7/5/2011 2:11 PM

I spent this morning running around trying to find a place that would let me weight my truck or weight it for me but no luck. The best I could do is get an appointment for tomorrow morning to get the whole truck corner weighted.

Should I weight it with my gear and without? Any other measurements worth capturing?

I just rolled into a truck weigh station on the highway that wasn't open. They usually leave the readout visible and I set each corner on the scale one at a time.

-Dai
#192021 - in reply to #192010
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 4:06 AM
512bbi
Expert

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 05G55kge,Range rover classic,clk55amg,ML 430
RE: SACHS HD vs Koni HT SPX on W46

I think the best way is to drive on the scales on a truck stop and place the front axle on the last scale with the gap of separation of the scales in the middle of the distance between the axles so they will give you the weight at the front axle separate from the rear axle and the total for both.

Doing its corner can cause faulty measures depending how is done since other variables come into play plus it does not matter to corner weight a G ...is not a race car and small variations from side to side do not matter.....no need to go after equal diagonal weights and corner height adjustments.

Corner weights are done properly with corner weight scales on perfectly level surface.... unnecessary for the G.

You pay ten dollars more or less and of you go ...it should take a few minutes ....just a regular truck stop with scales.

It will be in pounds ,easy to convert to Kraft(N) on each axle by multiplying by 4.45 you get a total that you divide by two and you got the weight of each corner on that axle.

For example my truck is 3040 pounds at front axle empty x 4.45=13528 divided by 2=6764 (N)
At the chart of front springs shows two stripe red spring will be 235mm tall with that load.
If my front end was 500 pounds less per corner at the front red and white springs would be the same height at 330 mms
With my weight front whites would be almost an inch taller.
If I hang a winch on my truck at front with white springs I would run the same height with reds more or less since the difference is 50 to 60 pounds per inch and pretty close to the same frequency as reds with whites loaded this way, because of the extra load in comparison to reds with out that much weight.

Same can be done for the rear and since the spring length loaded for a level truck can be the same front to rear there is no guess work to figure where one needs to be depending on weight distribution loaded to keep the suspension travel at optimum ride height for best performance in total wheel travel in compression and extension as designed by MB

Doing the scales loaded is best since that is how one needs to figure best choices for performance plus is easy to figure out how it will be empty afterwards

Mario
#192031 - in reply to #173711
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 4:13 AM
512bbi
Expert

hipine - 7/5/2011 4:48 PM

512bbi - 7/5/2011 2:18 PM

Dave

I have seen different part numbers on EPC so I am thinking they have to be different lengths since there is so many different riding heights as there is MB springs

Oh. Well, my only experience with different panhard bars is in relation to what Alan mentions below, strength, not length. That doesn't mean they didn't make different lengths, just that if they did, we I haven't heard of it before. If they did as you say, I'd expect the packages to be lumped into an "SA" number applied together. Maybe you can find evidence of this on a data card, or in the EPC.

I do know that the military Gs that have significantly more axle-to-chassis distance than our civy ones, use a lowered panhard bar (and radius arm for that matter) mounting point on the chassis to maintain optimal near horizontal panhard bar geometry, and not merely increase panhard length to get the axle in the right place. Just more food for thought.

-Dave G.

Dave

By using lower mounts they are running a rod that works as a longer one.

Now I am ass uming they should be different lengths since there is so many civil trucks with different load capabilities.

If there is not different parts adjustable rods would be very important to have.

I am electronically challenged so I am sure some members here might be able to see how many different part numbers are out there and we can find out how they are different if they exist

Mario
#192032 - in reply to #192014
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 11:54 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

512bbi - 7/6/2011 2:13 AM

Dave

By using lower mounts they are running a rod that works as a longer one....

It's much better than that of course, Mario. Changing the mounts also keeps the geometry optimal in a way that a longer or bent rod can't do. Two mounts that are vertically separated can be spanned with a longer rod, but will move the axle more side to side for a given ammount of vertical motion of the axle than will two mounts that are as nearly as possible horizontally in line with one another.

My guess is that the designers considered +/- 3mm of offset of front/rear track alignment to be insignificant on a vehicle of this type and suspension design and so run only one length of panhard bars (one front one rear) across all the civilian spring setups. But that's only a guess. It'll take someone with more at stake in the discussion than me to go digging into authenticating the guess.

Here's another thing to throw into your thought process. If you buy a RHD G, the front panhard bar is reversed to allow for steering linkage, but the rear one is in the same direction as the LHD trucks. So on a RHD, the axles don't move opposite directions with lift, they both offset toward the same side of the truck!

-Dave G.

#192036 - in reply to #192032
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 1:33 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

Again, this points to increased compression damping relative to what was prior on the vehicle. Stiffer springs will only make the situation worse. Granted it sounds like the OP has failed units on his hands which are yet another issue, but with regard to general relationships between shocks, it sounds like a safe bet to say the Koni SPX are a stiffer compression damped shock at least at what ever settings you have it at. Wether someone wants that characteristic or not is simply the question... routinely carrying heavier loads would be one good reason. It sounds like they're only re-bound adjustable so it'll not likely change much with adjustment but it would be interesting to know if the adjustment changes both rebound and compression.
#192040 - in reply to #191871
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 1:33 PM
Redbull Addict
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '12 G550
NA 463 weight figures

Alright, finally the moment has come...

For my 2002 G500 the total weight without driver is 5554 lbs. Front weight is 2761 and rear is 2793 (can you believe that, a 49.71/50.29 weight distribution)

For a full loaded truck with driver and my gear, the total weight is 5891. Front weight is 2904 and the rear is 2987.

My truck has 111K miles and as far as I can tell the original springs.

Mario - What do you think, are the stock springs enough and its just a matter of a different shock? Different springs and shocks, helper springs and shocks, all of the above?

Thanks for the help!
#192041 - in reply to #173711
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 1:48 PM
ewalberg
Expert

i'm glad they've done a good job designing the elastomer system into the AMG setup, and i wont dispute that it works as you describe. And i absolutely agree that top-out and bottom out bumpers are critical. Still doesn't change any of my positions on them or issues with Tom's truck and how to resolve them.
#192043 - in reply to #191884
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 2:54 PM
ewalberg
Expert

RE: NA 463 weight figures

I think you really should be fixing one problem at a time. At this point there is precious little to suggest you have a a spring problem... and lots to suggest you have a shock problem, if not busted shocks. Other testaments here additionally point to the SPX being sitffer compression damped than stock so that suggests that going with a stiffer spring or bumpers is going to make your problems worse. Softer tires or softer shocks would be necessary.

But if you've a busted shock then maybe you now have a real bottoming out problem... so you've gone from one problem to a completely opposite problem, with an opposite solution, which has people pointing you in the direction of stiffer springs. Which would help but it's only going to serve you for dealing with busted shocks and then ride even stiffer once you get the shock issue resolved? (caveat that with the right shocks it could still ride softer despite stiffer springs)

There's lots of good experience here, and people are obviously eager to help, but honestly you have not even answered enough of my original questions for anybody to be able to give you an educated answer as to what you should do next. That people are not being more careful to confirm the problem you have before offering advice is noteworthy. I don't have enough experience with different G shocks or springs to give you recommendations on which specific items you could/should buy, I'm quite content to leave that for others, but my lifes work is spent solving physical relationship systems type of problems, and i have plenty of both experience and theory with suspension (vehicle and otherise) to be sure that any recommendations you get at this point could leave you frustrated with the results. For example, you could duplicate mario's set-up and hate it because (1) you may have different preferences and (2) you're riding on different tires... he's riding on what he has elsewhere described as much smoother softer riding tires than you.

Sorry if my tone is so cold sounding, it just gets me all bent out of shape when i see people throwing out lots of recommendations for what you should do or need when there really isn't enough info yet to get you a good answer. That's fine when you're trouble shooting a fuel system problem which works or doesn't, but we're talking about a "feel" issue here, which means we need more clarification. The only thing we can be sure of at this point is your trucks weight and that you originally had SPX shocks that ride stiffer than factory (based some on yours and others testaments) for at least what ever adjustment position you had them in. That suggests that you should look for compression adjustable shocks or shocks you know are softer compression damped (though just softer unadjustable shocks could be problematic if you do want stiffer spring ultimately). However, the reality is that you could possible have had the ride you wanted when the SPX were new if you had just switched to Bridgstone deuler revo's of the same size that mario is using)... and i totally agree with his assessment of them.

I'll again extend the offer if you want to come up and either drive mine and/or swap some tires/shocks to see the difference or gain some more perspective on what you have vs. a stock shock setup with my different/softer BFG AT/KO's. I'm not saying you might not want to go with stiffer springs at some point, but i think it would be wisest to get a better handle on what you got/want/need in terms of feel before throwing more money at it. Just trying to help make sure you get the right problem solved...

Edited by ewalberg 7/6/2011 3:16 PM
#192045 - in reply to #192041
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 2:57 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Not to butt in Tom, but one indicator of health of aging springs is how far they sag under load. If you know which springs you have, the charts can show how much the rear "should" sag when the load on the axle is increased 200lbs. You could take before and after measurements of the wheel arch lip (height above level ground) to determine how much your truck is sagging under that static load to see if your old springs need replacing. If your stripe coding is gone, one of the parts suppliers might help check EPC for your VIN to find out what it came with.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

PS - IMHO, take any and all offers to swap trucks or parts and feel "seat of the pants" differences. This is the way suspensions are developed in the real industrial automotive world. Not on paper. Theories get close, but there are so many interactive variables and perceptive tactile results, that final suspesion development is always done with seat time.

Edited by hipine 7/6/2011 3:07 PM
#192046 - in reply to #192041
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 3:24 PM
Redbull Addict
Veteran

Thanks guys!

Erik, I PM'd you my phone number. Give me a buzz when you are free.

#192050 - in reply to #173711
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 3:33 PM
512bbi
Expert

hipine - 7/6/2011 9:54 AM

512bbi - 7/6/2011 2:13 AM

Dave

By using lower mounts they are running a rod that works as a longer one....

It's much better than that of course, Mario. Changing the mounts also keeps the geometry optimal in a way that a longer or bent rod can't do. Two mounts that are vertically separated can be spanned with a longer rod, but will move the axle more side to side for a given ammount of vertical motion of the axle than will two mounts that are as nearly as possible horizontally in line with one another.

My guess is that the designers considered +/- 3mm of offset of front/rear track alignment to be insignificant on a vehicle of this type and suspension design and so run only one length of panhard bars (one front one rear) across all the civilian spring setups. But that's only a guess. It'll take someone with more at stake in the discussion than me to go digging into authenticating the guess.

Here's another thing to throw into your thought process. If you buy a RHD G, the front panhard bar is reversed to allow for steering linkage, but the rear one is in the same direction as the LHD trucks. So on a RHD, the axles don't move opposite directions with lift, they both offset toward the same side of the truck!

-Dave G.

Dave

You are right ,there is no doubt a vertical rod is the way to go so the changes are smaller under normal suspension travel at speed .

I wonder really since when I looked I thought I have seen different part numbers on panhard rods.

As far as the English go ....it looks like their Gs want to force them driving of the wrong side of the road at speed.
There is so much more they could be doing with the initial thrust angle but there is enough to figure out our Gs here to bother with the right hand drives....

Mario
#192052 - in reply to #192036
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 3:51 PM
512bbi
Expert

Redbull Addict - 7/6/2011 11:33 AM

Alright, finally the moment has come...

For my 2002 G500 the total weight without driver is 5554 lbs. Front weight is 2761 and rear is 2793 (can you believe that, a 49.71/50.29 weight distribution)

For a full loaded truck with driver and my gear, the total weight is 5891. Front weight is 2904 and the rear is 2987.

My truck has 111K miles and as far as I can tell the original springs.

Mario - What do you think, are the stock springs enough and its just a matter of a different shock? Different springs and shocks, helper springs and shocks, all of the above?

Thanks for the help!

Tom

Your springs do not need to be changed and they do not keep on sagging with miles or loose spring rate with age.
Springs sag when new ,at your miles if your height for clearance is satisfactory to you with your tires you should leave your springs along.....provided you use the right set up on shocks.

Forget about the spxs....maybe you can keep your rear ones until they start leaking also.....the compresion forces on spxs are half that of the 90 series and it is not adjustable.
Adjusting rebound at the front will not help you at all with the problem you experienced and the comfort you are after.

The 550 shocks would be ideal for you with the right cilastios inside the front ones to get your front spring rate on bigger bumps trouble free and still maintain comfort.
They are designed for Yellow orange front springs which is the same ones you should have now.

I have them on order for a friend and they will be here today or tomorrow.
I will be putting my hands on them and I can tell you for sure if they will do the job.
I expect the front ones to have the metal cover come appart as my old ones (amg ) do so the cilastio can be installed.
The rears are sealed and welded with amg.

It is possible they already have the set up stock and if they do I will be checking the spring rate on them against the amg ones.

If you drive a set up like this you will never go back.

It makes your G light in handling and ir does not bottom out

Mario
#192053 - in reply to #192041
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 4:07 PM
512bbi
Expert

ewalberg - 7/6/2011 12:54 PM

I think you really should be fixing one problem at a time. At this point there is precious little to suggest you have a a spring problem... and lots to suggest you have a shock problem, if not busted shocks. Other testaments here additionally point to the SPX being sitffer compression damped than stock so that suggests that going with a stiffer spring or bumpers is going to make your problems worse. Softer tires or softer shocks would be necessary.

But if you've a busted shock then maybe you now have a real bottoming out problem... so you've gone from one problem to a completely opposite problem, with an opposite solution, which has people pointing you in the direction of stiffer springs. Which would help but it's only going to serve you for dealing with busted shocks and then ride even stiffer once you get the shock issue resolved? (caveat that with the right shocks it could still ride softer despite stiffer springs)

There's lots of good experience here, and people are obviously eager to help, but honestly you have not even answered enough of my original questions for anybody to be able to give you an educated answer as to what you should do next. That people are not being more careful to confirm the problem you have before offering advice is noteworthy. I don't have enough experience with different G shocks or springs to give you recommendations on which specific items you could/should buy, I'm quite content to leave that for others, but my lifes work is spent solving physical relationship systems type of problems, and i have plenty of both experience and theory with suspension (vehicle and otherise) to be sure that any recommendations you get at this point could leave you frustrated with the results. For example, you could duplicate mario's set-up and hate it because (1) you may have different preferences and (2) you're riding on different tires... he's riding on what he has elsewhere described as much smoother softer riding tires than you.

Sorry if my tone is so cold sounding, it just gets me all bent out of shape when i see people throwing out lots of recommendations for what you should do or need when there really isn't enough info yet to get you a good answer. That's fine when you're trouble shooting a fuel system problem which works or doesn't, but we're talking about a "feel" issue here, which means we need more clarification. The only thing we can be sure of at this point is your trucks weight and that you originally had SPX shocks that ride stiffer than factory (based some on yours and others testaments) for at least what ever adjustment position you had them in. That suggests that you should look for compression adjustable shocks or shocks you know are softer compression damped (though just softer unadjustable shocks could be problematic if you do want stiffer spring ultimately). However, the reality is that you could possible have had the ride you wanted when the SPX were new if you had just switched to Bridgstone deuler revo's of the same size that mario is using)... and i totally agree with his assessment of them.

I'll again extend the offer if you want to come up and either drive mine and/or swap some tires/shocks to see the difference or gain some more perspective on what you have vs. a stock shock setup with my different/softer BFG AT/KO's. I'm not saying you might not want to go with stiffer springs at some point, but i think it would be wisest to get a better handle on what you got/want/need in terms of feel before throwing more money at it. Just trying to help make sure you get the right problem solved... :cheers:

Erik

This is all good advice for Tom.

To save you both lots of time let me tell you I used to run 285-65-18s BFG E rated with my stock springs amg shocks ,red springs ,white springs , brown , 285-65-18 michelins, Bridgestones and 90 series shocks as made ,90s modified, amg with and with out cilastios new ...twice ,and worn out at 40 k......with all the different tires....including some 24 inch BFGs (305).........

I have set up race cars, multiple trucks, and used to manufacture springs in Greece ....I even sold some to Steyer.......

I am not bragging knowledge here, I would like to help others because I know how hard it is to sort this stuff out because I am a fanatic and very picky with my cars rides and know how satisfactory it is to have a good ride...it is more fun than anything else.

Mario
#192056 - in reply to #192045
Author
Posted 7/6/2011 6:15 PM
ewalberg
Expert

This is also in response to your post above with regard to your experience and how many different set-ups you've run on your truck... by no means do i think you're bragging or boasting. You have run one of the largest variety of different springs, shocks, and tires on the G of anyone on the forum, so i think you have a lot of useful and relevant experience to share, and i think you can eventually point him in the right direction. I'm simply arguing that we do not have enough info yet on what type of feel he's looking for to be sure of which way for you to point him. It's also very possible he has different priorities and preferences than you. So i'm simply arguing that when you tell him "If you drive a set up like this you will never go back"... you are not yet in a position to say this. For example, it seems consensus that the SPX's are stiffer and harsher than the stock shocks, and it appears that he felt they were also too stiff... if the 90's have double the compression damping of the spx's, if we take that fact at face value, it's nearly impossible that he would be happy with the 90's and stiffer springs and elastomers would further worsen the problem. If the problem is actually failing or weak shocks then you could be right on the money.

Edited by ewalberg 7/6/2011 6:16 PM
#192060 - in reply to #192053
Author
Posted 7/7/2011 2:31 AM
512bbi
Expert

ewalberg - 7/6/2011 4:15 PM

This is also in response to your post above with regard to your experience and how many different set-ups you've run on your truck... by no means do i think you're bragging or boasting. You have run one of the largest variety of different springs, shocks, and tires on the G of anyone on the forum, so i think you have a lot of useful and relevant experience to share, and i think you can eventually point him in the right direction. I'm simply arguing that we do not have enough info yet on what type of feel he's looking for to be sure of which way for you to point him. It's also very possible he has different priorities and preferences than you. So i'm simply arguing that when you tell him "If you drive a set up like this you will never go back"... you are not yet in a position to say this. For example, it seems consensus that the SPX's are stiffer and harsher than the stock shocks, and it appears that he felt they were also too stiff... if the 90's have double the compression damping of the spx's, if we take that fact at face value, it's nearly impossible that he would be happy with the 90's and stiffer springs and elastomers would further worsen the problem. If the problem is actually failing or weak shocks then you could be right on the money.

Erik

You are right .

His shocks are history totally gone like if they are not there.
I suspect they blew when tested since they were new.......maybe too long.....or defective shocks which is very unlikely with new konis.

With his weight info there is no doubt Tom does not need new springs.

I know you are also right saying I come on too strong about not going back if he tries the cilastios and I do so because I feel if you tried them too you would never go back also.

We are going to be finding out if the new 550 shocks have them since they ride great on the 550s with the same springs as Toms truck which we are thinking are orange yellow springs.

The best part about the cilastios is they do not come in effect on pavement that much so the comfort part stays great and they come into play when needed.

You are also right I do try anything available no matter what my estimations or experience might have me believe since I have found out the most benefit comes from trying different set ups and the experience comes in to judge which ones work best where and why.
No big deal throwing something together....fine tuning ....like adjusting effective height on those cilastios can make the truck change springs or stay real soft till needed....it is all fun but when one is in trouble I get to eager to help I guess if I think I know how....we all do here that is why this forum is so great learning and having fun.

It is amazing how we can get fooled and bad shocks not working can give the impression as being too harsh.
The compression force on spxs is very low and I really believe if Toms shocks worked at the front he would have never done anything and be happy with them.
The 90s at the front are also real nice riding shocks even though they do have much more forces on compression
At the rear where bump is more easily felt they will not ride as good as the Spxs but if adjusted right they can be very good with heavy springs like brown whites and up.

You are dead on the money on tires also if he went to something like revo 2s they ride so much better because they are smooth not rough like the BFGs.
For hard core rocks I know nothing beats them .....best sidewall out there but..........

Mario
#192079 - in reply to #192060
Author
Posted 7/7/2011 8:10 PM
Redbull Addict
Veteran

Mario,

Did you have a chance to speak to your parts guy to check if there are indeed different shocks for the 550?

cheers,
Tom
#192127 - in reply to #173711
Author
Posted 7/8/2011 1:18 AM
512bbi
Expert

Redbull Addict - 7/7/2011 6:10 PM

Mario,

Did you have a chance to speak to your parts guy to check if there are indeed different shocks for the 550?

cheers,
Tom

Tom

I left a message to the wrong guy ......the good one was of today....and they never called back.

Got your phone message stating your guys gave you two part numbers for 550 shocks a 463-323-0200 and 007-323-0200

I will know tomorrow for sure.

In the main time here is some interesting stuff I found right now looking on my own.
On EPC(I am getting better learning to operate it)....I found one 550 listed.

The shock I found on epc was for the front A006-323-0200 code ZS6-ZS7

I found G500 shocks I came across with the same numbers and even amg 55 ones as 463 323 0200 but with out the special code ,I do not know what is up with that.

Bump stops are the same for G500 and G550
Still wondering why your front spx Konis blew new testing over a speed bump.

The 550 I rode in a few months ago was by leaps and bounds better than any 500 of the long past I ever drove new.

Lets see how it turns out.

Mario
#192138 - in reply to #192127
Author
Posted 7/8/2011 4:38 PM
512bbi
Expert

Tom

The 006 part number is the right one...just talked to the dealership.

I do not know what is up with parts from Germany but my buddy from Seattle will be here this weekend and we do not have his shocks to put on the truck....still waiting ......I told him to wait and he is coming any ways,he got an 04 G500.

He drives mostly on the street 99 percent and he wants to drive mine and see if he likes the feel.

I know you need shocks asap so if my friend likes my set up too much and wants to wait longer to order springs and Konis(it has been two and a half weeks already!) then you can get the ones from my dealer when they show up any day now...they are calling again and call me back and confirm a date they said.

I will go and look at them also my self at the dealership since I want to know if they have the little amg springs in them....

Mario
#192161 - in reply to #173711
Author
Posted 7/12/2011 1:58 AM
Redbull Addict
Veteran

Hi Mario,

So did your friend love your red spring with koni 90 shocks combo or decide to stick with the 550 shocks?
#192300 - in reply to #173711
Author
Posted 7/12/2011 3:02 AM
512bbi
Expert

Redbull Addict - 7/11/2011 11:58 PM

Hi Mario,

So did your friend love your red spring with koni 90 shocks combo or decide to stick with the 550 shocks?

Tom

He loved my set up with all my junk in the truck(always two to three hundred pounds back there) and drove my truck faster than I do......

For his use though I am thinking he will need to stay with the yellow orange rear springs(no load) so I think the 550s will be best for him.

His truck did not ride so good because his shocks are very loose so they rode rougher than mine.

Calling the dealer tomorrow......I wonder what is up with these stuff not being readily available.....

I will contact you tomorrow after I call them again.

What I will do for him is work with the rubber in the new shocks and convince him to buy taller tires (he is running stock size)

If they show tomorrow I will see them and you can still have them from the dealer since you need something asap to make your truck drive able

Mario.
#192303 - in reply to #192300
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 5 of 7 <123456.05>