Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Seat questions - (retrofit air-cooled version?)

Page 2 of 3 123
Seat questions - (retrofit air-cooled version?)
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/29/2011 3:12 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: Seat questions - (retrofit air-cooled version?)

koly - 6/28/2011 9:56 AM

115 degrees in Phoenix...wondering how difficult it might be to fit some newer air-cooled/conditioned seats....

Oh Bob, Bob, Bob....how far you've come. Look to our old LR/G friend Tom Sheppard when he dumped his Land Rovers in favor of a 461 G for Sahara travel. There are some words in Quiet For a Tuesday on the subject. He ordered the truck specifically with cloth interior, and without air conditioning for more comfortable hot weather travel. One approach is to take the leather seats, perforate them, add fans, sensors, switches, what have you. The people out to take your money love that approach.

Another is to use a well designed cloth seat. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and maybe even more durable than leather when made of the right cloth like the old "MB Tex". The only thing I like leather seats for is for the kids. Sounds funny, but sticky spills etc clean up easier from the well-maintained leather than they do from cloth. So the kids booster seats are on leather in the van, but even there, in the places where adults sit the leather is covered with sheepskins.

The sheepskin covers work well all around if you don't want to change the whole seat, or ever have to worry about which compnent is going to fail next.

I was going to keep my mouth shut and let you try and stay your course, but if folks feel that use of directional signals is in scope, I figured making a plug for KISS with sheepskins or cloth might be okay.

Calling for 102 in Denver today and I'm on the bike in full Aerostich gear. No problem with good simple, effective design.

All the best,

-Dave G.
#191808 - in reply to #191736
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/29/2011 3:20 PM
norsecarnut
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle(s): 07 Rover LR3, 08 Audi S4Avant,04 Disco2,96 Disco1
Re: Seat questions - (retrofit air-cooled version?)

^words of wisdom and experience. Well worth considering.
#191809 - in reply to #191736
Author
Posted 6/29/2011 3:55 PM
koly
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500

hipine - 6/29/2011 1:12 PM

koly - 6/28/2011 9:56 AM

115 degrees in Phoenix...wondering how difficult it might be to fit some newer air-cooled/conditioned seats....

Oh Bob, Bob, Bob....how far you've come.

Hey, once you get a sip of the "G"ood life, what can you do?

Look to our old LR/G friend Tom Sheppard when he dumped his Land Rovers in favor of a 461 G for Sahara travel. There are some words in Quiet For a Tuesday on the subject. He ordered the truck specifically with cloth interior, and without air conditioning for more comfortable hot weather travel.

Didn't he also order it with a white exterior and a light colored interior? With my means, I didn't have the luxury of a custom order and had to settle for my black-on-black G from a divorcee's fire sale

One approach is to take the leather seats, perforate them, add fans, sensors, switches, what have you. The people out to take your money love that approach.

Looking at the aforelinked seatcomfortkit, it looks like something I might be willing to tackle on my own (or even mfg my own version, judging from their pics), or bring to a local upholstery shop. That way I'd get to keep the stock seats and maybe have a comfortable bum instead of a sweat-drenched back and tuckus.

Your sheep skin /cloth cover is duly noted as a default KISS fall-back position.
#191810 - in reply to #191808
Author
Posted 6/30/2011 3:03 PM
hipine

Hell man, for corking a couple muffin fans into the foam, I'm closer to there than you with the cloth seat covers on the old 460. My driver's seat foam needs re-doing....What hath thou wrought, oh denizen of the desert? With the predominance of Mexican cuizine in your area (and mine too!) we may indeed have more use than most for "active ventilation" in seat cushions!

-Dave G.

PS - though the aplication referenced above may call for certified explosion proof motor enclosures.

Edited by hipine 6/30/2011 3:04 PM
#191837 - in reply to #191810
Author
Posted 6/30/2011 5:03 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55

I was just thinking about this the other day! My wifes VW with black leather seats. We jump in to go to dinner in a nice place, clean clothes, (not that I wear them that often) Car's been sitting in the sun for a while, thermo reads 106, turn on the air full blast rev up the engine to get it cooler, by the time I'm at the end of the block my back is soaked and dripping. Lean forward, adjust the air vents to blow up my sleeves and across my back. Helps a little, 20 minute drive to the restaurant, seat still hot, back maybe dryer than it was but not much, walk into the restaurant a dripping wet slob. Normally I don't care much about this sort of stuff as I sweat for a living, but sometimes it's nice to be a little more comfortable. Will I spend thousands to get it? Not sure, but I was thinking about it....

Jonathan
#191843 - in reply to #191736
Author
Posted 6/30/2011 5:09 PM
norsecarnut
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle(s): 07 Rover LR3, 08 Audi S4Avant,04 Disco2,96 Disco1

^ could just move. the carolinas are brutal in the summer. my weather today...? I'm going to go grab a long sleeve shirt or jacket before I go out to do some errands
#191844 - in reply to #191736
Author
Posted 6/30/2011 6:16 PM
stevegsmith
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 82 300GD WVO, 06 Jeep Lib CRD B99

My version of seat AC is to drive through a fast food joint and ask for a large cup of ice.
Then carefully placed between my legs it's magical crotch cooling for hours. Tricks the body into thinking you're golden.
You know the old saying, "a cold crotch in a hot car makes daddy happy".
It actually works.

Warning/Disclaimer: Doing so may have an adverse affect on fertility.
#191846 - in reply to #191736
Author
Posted 6/30/2011 6:31 PM
prbmeat

Date registered: Dec 1899

stevegsmith - 6/30/2011 3:16 PM

My version of seat AC is to drive through a fast food joint and ask for a large cup of ice.
Then carefully placed between my legs it's magical crotch cooling for hours. Tricks the body into thinking you're golden.
You know the old saying, "a cold crotch in a hot car makes daddy happy".
It actually works.

Warning/Disclaimer: Doing so may have an adverse affect on fertility.

Dude. Seat heat isn't a huge issue where I live. At least the kind of heat in the aforementioned scenario. Just to elaborate ... I strap on several different sorts of heat when on the road ... especially as I liaise between Taco Bell bean & cheese burros, Starbucks Granitas, and cold brew. Wet wipes for life.

I also use the back of my LR3 as a baby pool when needed/appropriate. Thank you kindly.

Edited by prbmeat 6/30/2011 6:36 PM
#191847 - in reply to #191846
Author
Posted 6/30/2011 8:25 PM
koly
Elite Veteran

I've emailed the "seatcomfortkit.com" people asking for a couple testimonials and a description of how well their product might work with leather seat covers like many of us have here.

I'll update if I find out more.
#191851 - in reply to #191843
Author
Posted 6/30/2011 8:30 PM
koly
Elite Veteran

hipine - 6/30/2011 1:03 PM

Hell man, for corking a couple muffin fans into the foam, I'm closer to there than you with the cloth seat covers on the old 460. My driver's seat foam needs re-doing....

I say give it a shot - test it out with the old foam before replacing it! And please, provide us with one of your great write-ups if you do.

What hath thou wrought, oh denizen of the desert? With the predominance of Mexican cuizine in your area (and mine too!) we may indeed have more use than most for "active ventilation" in seat cushions!

For that kind of active ventilation to be sufficient, you need the infamous 4-65*

*4 windows rolled down at 65mph.
#191852 - in reply to #191837
Author
Posted 6/30/2011 9:48 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500 LWB, 1980 280GE SWB (Sold), S500

2000 S500: In the heat/humidity of Houston even the ventilated seats have it hard. Had the windows tinted a month or so ago and that has made a huge difference. The color is Espresso (basically black) with Java interior. I don't know how much better "cooled" seats are these days, but the ones we have are better than nothing ... There is some sort of pneumatic massage system in addition to lumbar and adjustable bolsters. It is safe to say that the S seats are too wide for a G. There are threads discussing other MB/Chrysler seats that might be available in ventilated versions ...
#191854 - in reply to #191852
Author
Posted 7/1/2011 12:04 AM
koly
Elite Veteran

Part of my reply from seatcomfortkit.com:

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, you would need the perforation leather for seat ventilation system. It won't work if the leather insert is solid. NO air flow, NO cooling effect.

You cloth seaters are in luck!
#191855 - in reply to #191851
Author
Posted 7/1/2011 1:28 AM
Allister779

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle(s): 1990 300GD

Turns out there are a couple of shops close by that are listed on the seatcomfortkit.com site as installers.  I'm going to have some time in a few weeks so I may wander down and see what they have to say.  That combo kit heater/cooler looks very appealing to me.
#191856 - in reply to #191855
Author
Posted 7/1/2011 2:25 AM
512bbi
Expert

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 05G55kge,Range rover classic,clk55amg,ML 430

Very interesting thread.

I can not help but to remember many many years ago when I was raised in Athens Greece ,ac was rare in most vehicles and I will never forget what the taxi drivers were using driving all day for work in the summer in Athens to keep their backs and rear ends cool and dry.

There were these seat covers that were solid but comfy with two layers of a straw type material woven together in a manner that allowed lots of air to go through.
The upper layer that was in contact with your body did not come in contact with the layer that was on the seat of the car allowing enough circulation on your back with out ac and with the windows down in a 100F day the only part of your body that was dry was the back!!.........something like that today in an air conditioned car would be very functional keeping your back dry and it could be removed easy as a seat cover when not needed in cooler weather.

Problem is I never seen them again since childhood even there with ac in all cars now.....

Amazing how complicated solutions exist today and how impressive they sound.
If I had them on my G I bet the little vents on the seat would plug from the of road dust they get exposed to....besides why should I want to ride in the G as a luxury ride......it is lacking luxury in so many other ways......but I can see the point in a true luxury riding vehicle of some other type....as mentioned here.

Mario
#191858 - in reply to #191736
Author
Posted 7/1/2011 4:54 AM
royalenfield
Regular

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle(s): Puch W461 GD290 1994

There you are, Mario:

They are made of bamboo, and still very much for sale here is Europe:

http://www.lunicashop.com/auto/interno/fodere-e-coprisedili/schiena...

or

http://www.coraitaly.com/pagine/Cora/Tessuti%20fodere/New%20York.pd...

or

http://it.bestshopping.com/prezzi/Cora-Coprisedile-fresco-universal...
#191863 - in reply to #191736
Author
Posted 7/1/2011 8:19 AM
hipine

Yes! Those work really well! Are they supple enough not to "dig in" to the seats at the corners and create wear or scuff points on leather? The only car I have experience with those in is my grandad's '72 Ford LTD that had big wide flat seats. I remember those ones bing kind of stiff and it seems they might have trouble conforming to more contoured modern seats. But newer ones are probably different and they sure do work great for preventing JoJo's sweaty back syndrome. Not to mention the bonus that my kids would think them super-un-cool. They'd just have to till they're old to figure out how "cool" they really always were.

-Dave G.

#191868 - in reply to #191863
Author
Posted 7/10/2014 9:15 PM
Balto
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500

Any update on a solution? Moved to Arizona a few weeks ago and cooled seats would feel great.
#222844 - in reply to #191736
Author
Posted 7/12/2014 8:22 PM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320

The 2000 has the same seat configuration as mine (with the storage box below the seat). I remember that the SLK seats would drop into the older G-Wagons with little to no modifications. Perhaps there's a solution there...

#222876 - in reply to #191736
Author
Posted 7/12/2014 10:25 PM
Inkblotz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo

Some SLK seats has what is called an air scarf. These blow cool air on your neck. The early SLKs did not have this. I don't remember the year but it started with the SLKs that had the split nose. Espar made the seat mechanism.

http://www.espar.com/products/electrical-heaters/decentral-heating-...

Mark
#222877 - in reply to #191736
Author
Posted 7/13/2014 2:23 PM
koly
Elite Veteran

I know of a local shop in Phx that received a good review from another MB owner who had them install air cooled seats. I don't have their info right now, but I'll post it this week.

Luckily this summer hasn't been too bad heat-wise (yet)...

I still haven't done it but am still planning to - had to repair my G's AC last summer which used up the seat-cooling budget dollars.
#222879 - in reply to #222844
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 3 123