Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : G55 Diff Lock Vacuum Pump

Page 2 of 5 12345
G55 Diff Lock Vacuum Pump
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/22/2011 9:51 AM
fernweh

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
Re: G55 Diff Lock Vacuum Pump

Roly - 9/22/2011 6:33 AM

The 30 s power comes from a relay on the pre 2000 Gs. You can here it click off after the key is turned off.
There appears to be a slight difference between the setup on the pre and post 2000 Gs or at least with mine there is. On the vacuum pump there is a pressure switch. On the diagram that Dutch posted it indicates two pipes connected to it. One connected to the white and the other to the black. On my G there is only the one pipe going to the black connector. This means that when the pressure in my system reaches the preset presure the pump switches off. Once the diff locks are actuated there is no flow through the system (ignoring leaks). So the small electric pump and the reservoir is fine to keep the vacuum correct and hold the locks on. The non return valve stops the vacuum disappearing when the manifold vacuum changes.

Here's any easy test- disconnect the second pipe on the white connector on the pressure switch. Seal the hole in the pipe. Turn on the key (don't startengine) press the centre difflock and the little pump will start. Wait until the preset vacuum is reached and it will switch off about 30-40 secs. No more burning out the pump

Thanks Roly,

so, if the pumps continue to run in your test set-up - you might have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Karl
#194959 - in reply to #194957
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/22/2011 10:48 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: G55 Diff Lock Vacuum Pump

It does seem that the electric vacuum pump is a frequent gasser problem.  The diesel versions make use of the engine driven vacuum pump alone. 

Perhaps a better gasser solution would be to buffer the dips in intake manifold vaccum with a couple of one-way valves and a large vacuum reservoir?  One could cap off a frame cross-tube to make a 2 gallon vacuum reservoir.  Unlike using the frame tube for pressurized air there is no need to worry about moisture accumulation.

#194961 - in reply to #194886
Author
Posted 9/22/2011 11:08 AM
fernweh

AlanMcR - 9/22/2011 7:48 AM

It does seem that the electric vacuum pump is a frequent gasser problem.  The diesel versions make use of the engine driven vacuum pump alone. 

Perhaps a better gasser solution would be to buffer the dips in intake manifold vaccum with a couple of one-way valves and a large vacuum reservoir?  One could cap off a frame cross-tube to make a 2 gallon vacuum reservoir.  Unlike using the frame tube for pressurized air there is no need to worry about moisture accumulation.

Alan,

the early W463's used the very forward cross tube as a vacuum reservoir.....

I do believe, without any existing leaks and functional check valves (could a problem here), this vacuum system would be adequate as it doesn't use airflow but ambient air pressure to operate the various actuators.

Karl
#194963 - in reply to #194961
Author
Posted 9/22/2011 12:09 PM
Roly
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 1999 G500

Yes. If you put a vacuum guage in the system it should hold the vacuum for some hours with a good setup. The little 90* joiners split on mine. £2 ea and all was good again. Same with the NRVs, check they are good.
#194967 - in reply to #194959
Author
Posted 9/22/2011 1:36 PM
fernweh

next purchase going to be a manual vacuum pump/tester with a gauge to check the truck's system.

Maybe I do find one which also works on my head, so I can figure out what's going on there or not - sometimes

Karl
#194968 - in reply to #194967
Author
Posted 9/22/2011 2:41 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

just ordered the Hella pump and I'll if/how it works
#194969 - in reply to #194968
Author
Posted 9/22/2011 8:00 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,

There is a good thread covering some of this in detail...

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=10358

Some random points:

There is a vacuum reservoir in the G500 - it is in the front wing, driver side.

If you have the center locker on when you turn off the engine, the switch pack keeps it on for 30 seconds (and the pump is therefore on too, since it is wired to the center locker solenoid).

If the engine is on, the pump runs continuously.

When the engine is off and a locker is selected, the pump will run until it gets to 0.6 Bar, then it turns itself off internally. Turns back on if vacuum gets below 0.4 Bar.

If you want to check your pump and vacuum system, just turn off the engine, select center locker, listen for pump to come on, listen for it to go off after about 1 min. If it goes off, you are good. If it stays on - problem. This tests pump, lines, check valves, center lock diaphragm i.e. everything.
#194976 - in reply to #194886
Author
Posted 9/22/2011 8:18 PM
fernweh

W5YK - 9/22/2011 5:00 PM

There is a good thread covering some of this in detail...

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=10358

Some random points:

There is a vacuum reservoir in the G500 - it is in the front wing, driver side.

If you have the center locker on when you turn off the engine, the switch pack keeps it on for 30 seconds (and the pump is therefore on too, since it is wired to the center locker solenoid).

If the engine is on, the pump runs continuously.

When the engine is off and a locker is selected, the pump will run until it gets to 0.6 Bar, then it turns itself off internally. Turns back on if vacuum gets below 0.4 Bar.

If you want to check your pump and vacuum system, just turn off the engine, select center locker, listen for pump to come on, listen for it to go off after about 1 min. If it goes off, you are good. If it stays on - problem. This tests pump, lines, check valves, center lock diaphragm i.e. everything.

Valid points,

but I do believe the other lockers need to be switch on as well, to test their vacuum line systems too. In the standard g-wagen the red switch indicator lights have to be lit, so the front and rear solenoid vacuum switches are activated and the remaining lines and intensifiers can be tested for leaks also.

If the pump will run until it gets to 0.6 Bar, when the center locker is selected, the engine is off and the ignition is on - it should also turn off at 0.6 Bar when the engine is running. Right?
#194977 - in reply to #194976
Author
Posted 9/22/2011 11:53 PM
MiN
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): No cars, at all.

Karl, If you want a full test, raise the truck on axle stands, then press all the diff lock switches and hand rotate the wheels until all the red lights come on. The pump will stop after all reds are illuminated and the necessary vacuum pressure is reached. Note: this is without the engine running.

Edited by MiN 9/22/2011 11:54 PM
#194978 - in reply to #194886
Author
Posted 9/23/2011 1:11 AM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,

fernweh - 9/22/2011 5:18 PM
but I do believe the other lockers need to be switch on as well, to test their vacuum line systems too...

...If the pump will run until it gets to 0.6 Bar, when the center locker is selected, the engine is off and the ignition is on - it should also turn off at 0.6 Bar when the engine is running. Right?

Good points Karl. If you turn them all on, it includes the intensifiers in the test.

You are right, the pump will turn off IF it gets to 0.6 Bar of vacuum with the engine running. But it never will pull that much vacuum with the engine running (not on my G500 anyway).

Another random information point - my front and rear lockers will engage and hold even without the pump.
#194979 - in reply to #194977
Author
Posted 9/23/2011 2:46 AM
Razon

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle(s): 1986 280ge Cabrio, 617A, 5sp manual

This is not important, but as a small note:
0.4 bar is more vacuum than 0.6 bar.
When you measure absolute pressure (including vacuum), you start at zero psi, then the pressure goes up to 0.4bar (in this case) then even more pressure gets you to 0.6 bar ( but less vacuum)...and if you keep increasing the pressure you get to 1bar: the normal pressure that's all arround us, or 1atm.

So, The pump will run till 0.4 bar then turn off....it will turn back on if vacuum drops below 0.6 bar.

#194980 - in reply to #194886
Author
Posted 9/23/2011 3:35 AM
shochu
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): indonesian-assembled '97 G300

W5YK - 9/22/2011 12:11 PM

Another random information point - my front and rear lockers will engage and hold even without the pump.

i think TC locker is dependant on vacuum (as it is diapraghm based)
whereas front and rear are not vacuum dependant, but can only turn on after TC locked

when my TC solenoid lost vacuum, we switched it with the front one, both middle & front engage & disengage normally now

at least that's how it seems on mine
#194982 - in reply to #194979
Author
Posted 9/23/2011 6:18 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

shochu - 9/23/2011 3:35 AM

i think TC locker is dependant on vacuum (as it is diapraghm based)
whereas front and rear are not vacuum dependant, but can only turn on after TC locked

The front and rear are most certainly vacuum dependent and require vacuum to operate the intensifiers. See the system diagram that was posted earlier in this thread.
#194983 - in reply to #194982
Author
Posted 9/23/2011 9:45 AM
fernweh

W5YK - 9/22/2011 10:11 PM

fernweh - 9/22/2011 5:18 PM
but I do believe the other lockers need to be switch on as well, to test their vacuum line systems too...

...If the pump will run until it gets to 0.6 Bar, when the center locker is selected, the engine is off and the ignition is on - it should also turn off at 0.6 Bar when the engine is running. Right?

Good points Karl. If you turn them all on, it includes the intensifiers in the test.

You are right, the pump will turn off IF it gets to 0.6 Bar of vacuum with the engine running. But it never will pull that much vacuum with the engine running (not on my G500 anyway).

Richard,

I did noticed that as well, also raising the rpm's a bit improved the actuation time. This indeed indicated to me that the pump was probably not working any longer. When I disconnected the pump in the field and connected both of its vacuum lines together, the actuation time seemed to be improving.
I just verified my point - sucking on the pump's white hose connection - the pump not only has a bad motor but is not holding a vacuum as well.

I'm not sure how the intensifier for the front and rear axle is responding when only a reduced vacuum is present. Will the intensifier only deliver a reduced hydraulic pressure to the diff lock actuator or regardless of the vacuum level when activated always produces the same hydraulic output pressure?

In the end, are the axle lockers deployed/engaged differently depending on the vacuum level?

All this is very important to me, as I'm still trying to figure out why the left main bearing in my rear axle diff failed and dumped all its guts between the ring and pinion gears.
An incomplete locker engagement could lead to damages of the locker teeth and small pieces of those teeth will get into the left main bearing......

Karl

#194984 - in reply to #194979
Author
Posted 9/23/2011 11:08 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

fernweh - 9/23/2011 9:45 AM

I'm not sure how the intensifier for the front and rear axle is responding when only a reduced vacuum is present. Will the intensifier only deliver a reduced hydraulic pressure to the diff lock actuator or regardless of the vacuum level when activated always produces the same hydraulic output pressure?

Karl

I don't have an aswer to your question, but I do remember reading somewhere in the MB literature that the auxiliary vacuum pump is there primarily to give the extra vacuum required when the front locker - i.e. all three lockers at the same time - is engaged.
#194985 - in reply to #194984
Author
Posted 9/23/2011 2:13 PM
Loki Laufeyjarson

Vehicle(s):

It is hard to understand why MB stopped using the elegant locker system of w460 and built this electric-vacuum-hydraulic bastard.

It just crossed my mind, -Since the base source of vacuum is brake booster (intake manifold at idle) Why not mount the electric vacuum pump directly to the brake booster and get two birds in one shoot! This gives increased brake assistance and with the right setup of one way valves and removal of the intermittent vacuum pump can activate the lockers at any throttle position?
Electric vacuum pumps for brake assistance are off the shelf units.
#194986 - in reply to #194886
Author
Posted 9/23/2011 2:21 PM
Roly
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 1999 G500

The intensifier increases the pressure from 0.4bar in the pneumatic side (vacuum) to 15bar pressure in the hydraulic side. Inside the intensifier is a diaphram which moves under the force of the vacuum a set distance thereby delivering a set volume of fluid to the diff lock piston. Same as the plunger on the 460. If the vacuum was weaker than design the piston would move slower and may not be fully engaged. However, the red light should not come on until the lock is fully engaged. So the risky time is between yellow and red lights when the piston has moved "half way".
#194987 - in reply to #194984
Author
Posted 9/24/2011 5:12 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Razon - 9/23/2011 12:46 AM

This is not important, but as a small note:
0.4 bar is more vacuum than 0.6 bar.
When you measure absolute pressure (including vacuum), you start at zero psi, then the pressure goes up to 0.4bar (in this case) then even more pressure gets you to 0.6 bar ( but less vacuum)...and if you keep increasing the pressure you get to 1bar: the normal pressure that's all arround us, or 1atm.

So, The pump will run till 0.4 bar then turn off....it will turn back on if vacuum drops below 0.6 bar.

Not important, but fun to kick around! In parcticality it will depend on the scale of the instruments used. If they're marked in absolute pressure, your treatise is spot on. If they're marked in gauge pressure, then atmospheric is zero and -.6 bar is "more vacuum" than -.4 bar. Instruments marked in absolute pressure tend to confuse people as they don't rest on zero. Most are marked for gauge pressure, and most leave off the "-" sign on the gauge markings. The boost/vacuum gauge I have from Isspro is even more fun as the positive pressure side is marked in PSI and the negative pressure side marked in inches of mercury.

Thank heavens sensible folks can accomplish all that's needed with just a pull of a lever. The poor G55 is even more of an anachronizm. With all that fine motor and street bias it should have gotten a good street biased powertrain to go with it. Ah well, that's the marketing folks and beancounters fighting for ground while the engineers wring their hands.

But you konw what? I wonder if the third of the wretched triumverate, the corporate lawyers, aren't the real ones behind all this mess, mandating the others protect people from themselves with electrickery and natural abhorances.

I like Alan's idea of tapping a shaft somewhre to run a little engine driven piston pump for vacuum. Seems stone reliable, especially if the thing needs 100% duty cycle to lock the center diff.

I wonder if the whole vacuum part could have been eliminated by electrical valves directly switching power stering hydraulic pressure. The electrics and the hydraulics seem pretty reliable. It's only the vacuum making a mess of things.

Hmmm....

-Dave G.
#195002 - in reply to #194980
Author
Posted 9/25/2011 2:15 AM
Fernando BR

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): G500/05 300GE/91 300GD/80

Only to remember that lockers vaccum line are also connected to engine vacuum on gassers 463 , not sure on diesel ones. Front and rear lockers normaly will work in the case that vacuum pump is out of combat cause engines produces enough vacuum. Diff locker that is only pneumatic wont work without vacuum pump.
BTW early 463 smallmpump is enough to the job , why use that monster they introduced on G500? My 300GE never had lockers troubles after 20 years ( my 500 also but has only 6 years) . G 500 2001 + system is much more complicated. 300 GE is electrical , 3 switches , 3 relays, etc.... At the end 463 lockers are reliable, 460 are bullet proof.
#195006 - in reply to #194886
Author
Posted 9/25/2011 12:29 PM
fernweh

Fernando BR - 9/24/2011 11:15 PM

Only to remember that lockers vaccum line are also connected to engine vacuum on gassers 463 , not sure on diesel ones.

Probably, it might be the same set-up. Let's hear from a "modern" W463 Diesel owner.

Front and rear lockers normaly will work in the case that vacuum pump is out of combat cause engines produces enough vacuum. Diff locker that is only pneumatic wont work without vacuum pump.

The TC diff lock in my G-500 was working, but slower with the defective vacuum pump. Please remember, that the defective pump had also quit a vacuum leak besides the motor being burned up. When I removed the pump out of the system and temporary connected its vacuum lines together, the locker engagement time improved.

BTW early 463 small pump is enough to the job , why use that monster they introduced on G500? My 300GE never had lockers troubles after 20 years ( my 500 also but has only 6 years) . G 500 2001 + system is much more complicated

This Locker system is identical to the earlier W463's, just a vacuum pump has been added - the old separate switches are complicated - the "new" swichpacks are digital nature and follow the technologies applied to newer vehicles.

300 GE is electrical , 3 switches , 3 relays, etc.... At the end 463 lockers are reliable, 460 are bullet proof.

The W460 doesn't have an open differential when in 4x4 mode, which is limiting the use of this 4x4 mode. The W460 might be bullet proof, but the late W463 G-wagen fires much larger bullets.

The lack or absence of competent maintenance personal and irresponsible owners - like me - will gnaw at reliability over all.

I do believe this non tractor like Diff Locker actuation system in the W463's is very much so reliable, especially when being maintained, the way Graz had envisioned it.

Karl

Edited by fernweh 9/25/2011 12:30 PM
#195013 - in reply to #195006
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 5 12345