Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Lumbar switch & function

Page 2 of 2 12
Lumbar switch & function
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/21/2018 12:01 PM
koly
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500
RE: Bladder part number?

After a long enough time, the hole in the lumbar support bladder apparently has grown to the point where when I deploy the air pump, all I hear is the pump running and air movement.

As usual, my limited EPC skills have left me befuddled and I can't seem to find the part number to order a replacement. Does anyone know the part number for the bladder?

My back would greatly appreciate any help.
#238581 - in reply to #196991
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/21/2018 1:52 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Bladder part number?

koly - 2/21/2018 12:01 PM

After a long enough time, the hole in the lumbar support bladder apparently has grown to the point where when I deploy the air pump, all I hear is the pump running and air movement.

As usual, my limited EPC skills have left me befuddled and I can't seem to find the part number to order a replacement. Does anyone know the part number for the bladder?

I think it's P/N: A.463.910.06.16, but it does not come up when entered on one of my parts supplier websites.
#238582 - in reply to #238581
Author
Posted 9/21/2018 3:02 PM
koly
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500
SOVLED RE: Leaking Bladder…(it wasn't the bladder)

REVIVING - Found the problem (not the bladder) and a solution.

koly - 2/21/2018 10:01 AM

Thanks to G-AMG, once I was able to remove the bladder and inspect it, and fill it with air and squeeze it, I could hear air escaping somewhere around the pump. As I investigated the pump, the plastic hose running from the pump to the bladder broke off inside the rubber Y tube.

Aha! I thought. That must have been where the leak was since the plastic hose was so brittle!

Replaced with some new hose, and, to my chagrin, it was still leaking. I could hear the air escaping, but the sound was so faint I couldn't locate the source, so I applied some soapy water to the base of the thicker rubber tubbing that exits the top of the pump and voila - there was the problem. Upon a close inspection of the top of the pump, it had hairline cracks on both sides and between the brass fittings that exit the top of the pump. After a liberal application of epoxy, the pump was sealed up and now the whole thing functions properly.

Somewhat strange is the black rubber tubing that exits the pump runs up toward the top of the inside of the seat back and then back down again. I was having a tough time pulling it out and found out why - there's a strange part attached to the top of the two hoses - it's definitely a part that looks like it is used in another vehicle and should be mounted outside the seat - it has a dial on top that runs from 1-5 for what I assume is to adjust the lumbar to a preset level.

Anyway, if anyone else ever runs into this problem, I hope it helps - finding the source of the leak was a PITA.

Photos:
Whole pump assembly

Epoxied pump (pardon my sloppiness)

Strange hidden dial

#239859 - in reply to #238581
Author
Posted 9/21/2018 8:01 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: SOVLED RE: Leaking Bladder…(it wasn't the bladder)

Koly,

Thanks for the followup. Glad you resolved the issue.
#239861 - in reply to #239859
Author
Posted 10/10/2018 11:27 PM
JamesG
Regular

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2011 G550, 2000 L.C.,1997 L.C.1987 FJ60
Re: Lumbar switch & function

After reading this thread, using thread for a repair, it reminded me that my lumbar motor will sometimes start and stop randomly? I need to take it in for a look see. Dutch looking at those photos, you might have a chance for a career as a Cobbler! lol
#239913 - in reply to #196991
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12