Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : W460 rear locker - how far does sleeve go

Page 1 of 1 1
W460 rear locker - how far does sleeve go
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/4/2014 3:54 AM
petermerle
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): W460 *1, W123 *2, W124
W460 rear locker - how far does sleeve go

My rear locker jumped out of my W460 when testing the other day and upon further investigation it seems like the locking sleeve has to go extremely far towards the diff for it to fully engage.  I now can get it to work if the hydraulic actuator is moved to the extreme position on its slotted mounts.  I then checked on a spare rear axle I have and that axle when fully engaged still has some +_ 5mm before it reached the point where the hole ( 10 mm ) starts to get covered by the axle tube.  ( see photo )

I appears that possibly the teeth on the crown wheel or the dog clutch have worn down so much that the sleeve has to move further for it to hold lock. Has anyone come across this problem before ? 

(End of Lock.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments End of Lock.JPG (172KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/4/2014 1:19 PM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
RE: W460 rear locker - how far does sleeve go

I do not think that those German made gears will be worn down that much

The only thing, if the actuating finger is bend so slightly, you will need to move the slave cylinder further towards the gears, in order to achieve a full engagement.

Some fingers are bend more than others......

Karl

(IMG_5722 (Custom).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_5722 (Custom).JPG (129KB - 0 downloads)
#219175 - in reply to #219172
Author
Posted 1/4/2014 1:56 PM
Boy G
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): Diesel G's: 617A and 602
Re: W460 rear locker - how far does sleeve go

Pete, we had the same issue on Johan's cabrio which was here for some months getting cleaned up. We removed the dog and the crownwheel and had the teeth repaired as they were badly worn. They must be Austrian gears not German perhaps.

Re the maxed out position on the slots I would suggest trying to move the actual actuator finger by spacing perhaps, but I would guess that the real reason for it is that the groove that engages the dog in the actuator sleeve is nearing the end of its life.
#219176 - in reply to #219172
Author
Posted 1/5/2014 2:04 AM
petermerle
Expert

Karl - the pin is not bent - I  had a pin bent when I acquired the car and replaced it.  The actual hole in the sleeve is too far towards the diff when full engaged.

Andrew - - pictures attached of a spare tube and follower I have - do you thing the tube is worn out where the arrows are or the follower?

(Follower.JPG)

(Tube.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Follower.JPG (60KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Tube.JPG (101KB - 0 downloads)
#219182 - in reply to #219172
Author
Posted 1/5/2014 5:35 AM
Boy G
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): Diesel G's: 617A and 602

In my experience its the semi circular groove in the tube. This is especially pronounced in the older front axles where the diff oil seals are on either side of the centre portion and not at the end of the axle tubes like on later models. Ie the diff lock mechanism runs "dry".

If I remember correctly that sleeve / tube and the teflon guide ring are difficult to come by from MB. I have made them before using normal EN 8 BMS and Vesco for the ring.

#219189 - in reply to #219172
Author
Posted 4/22/2014 3:17 AM
petermerle
Expert

Got my axle now all resembled with new bearings and diff locker slide and dog clutch and I still have the problem  where in the fully engaged lock position the hole in the sleeve is at the extreme end of the aperture in the axle casing - I can only now assume the slot is not correctly position sin the axle tube ! As anyone seen this before. 

Peter

#221486 - in reply to #219172
Author
Posted 4/22/2014 12:03 PM
Razon

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle(s): 1986 280ge Cabrio, 617A, 5sp manual

The way I look at it, you have to Isolate the possible sources of the problem.

1- First, deal only with the slider and dog "gear". Make sure they slide freely and engage positively with a range of motion that's satisfactory. Don't try to get the piston to compensate for problems with this components. Just get it working properly.
I'm not sure if it's just the way the light hits the parts in those last 2 pictures, but they look quite worn to me. The dog gear lip has to have the same thickness all the way around, and the edges have to be quite square (see attached picture- copied from of Harald's website) .
With the hydraulic cylinder removes, use a screwdriver to engage-disengage the locker while you try to spin the tire (wheels off the ground), and don't go to next step till you're happy with the operation. The travel should not extend past the opening in the axle tube. That stuff at some point in time worked the way you see it, holes did not move/shrink over time.

2- Make sure the locker slave cylinder operates properly. In other words, you'll have to test the whole hydraulic system: reservoir, feed to master cylinders, condition of master cyl, lines to the back, slave cyl.... make sure no air is trapped in the system, and no leaks. The slave cyl should have full travel, even in the extended position you should be able to push it back (compressing the spring), and it should operate smoothly.

If you do all that, when you put it all together, it should work.

Edited by Razon 4/22/2014 12:07 PM

(diff-lock.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments diff-lock.jpg (87KB - 0 downloads)
#221488 - in reply to #219172
Author
Posted 4/29/2014 3:32 AM
petermerle
Expert

Its only related to axle housing , locker sleeve and dog clutch. The locker sleeve and clutch are as new- no wear on them surface excellent. The system will work but I do not thing the clutch will fully engauge as its right at the endlimit of slot aperture of the axle housing. I suspect slot was incorrectly positioned ex factory but will have top confirm by way of measurement with another axle I have. The picture shown in first post is from my other axle off car which I have no issue with. Will have to take a picture of suspect one

#221613 - in reply to #219172
Author
Posted 4/29/2014 11:48 PM
Razon

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle(s): 1986 280ge Cabrio, 617A, 5sp manual

petermerle - 4/29/2014 12:32 AM
The locker sleeve and clutch are as new- no wear on them surface excellent.

Are you sure? here's a picture of a good one for comparison. Mind you....yours looks like a different part altogether, but the edge that connects it to the sleeve should have nice sharp consistent thickness edges.
I just don't think the factory would sell a car with non working locker because the hole is in the wrong position.

Edited by Razon 4/29/2014 11:50 PM

(DSCN1172 (Small).JPG)

(Follower.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN1172 (Small).JPG (119KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Follower.JPG (60KB - 0 downloads)
#221637 - in reply to #221613
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1