Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 460 front drive shaft - no zirc

Page 2 of 2 12
460 front drive shaft - no zirc
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/6/2014 1:09 AM
Gilamonster
Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle(s): G #1 (mix of a 460, 461 & 463), #2 is a 2000 G500
RE: 460 front drive shaft - no zirc

Thanks guys for all the good input. It is really helpful.

I'll post some pics soon. Being new here, Where on the site is the best place for posting pics?

My ORC springs feel good at this point and the vehicle sits level front to rear.

The Mercedes auxiliary fuel filter/water trap finally arrived and it will go in next week, along with new door seals, belt, and A/C drain tubes. It will be interesting to see if I get any water out of the diesel, and if so, when. I have been using Stanadyne Performance with each tank and it makes a notable difference.

While the King shocks are truly things of beauty, I'll be going with the Koni Raids and I'm sure they will do the trick with reliability and comfort. I'll apply the savings to the new solar system/batteries for the camper - it's the next item on the list.

William
#221149 - in reply to #220974
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/6/2014 3:59 AM
bram_r
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle(s): 1984 MB 280GE, 1982 MB 300GD, 1986 Subaru XT 4WD
Re: 460 front drive shaft - no zirc

I'm using imgur.com as an uploader, works pretty quick and nice.

After clicking upload images, select the images you want (max. 10 per upload) and start uploading.

After getting the BBcode for Forums, you can click on 'large thumbnail' to have it automatically resized in a P3 forum friendly size.

Bram

#221151 - in reply to #220974
Author
Posted 4/6/2014 8:57 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

Gilamonster - 4/6/2014 1:09 AM

Thanks guys for all the good input. It is really helpful.

I'll post some pics soon. Being new here, Where on the site is the best place for posting pics?

If it's a photo specific to this thread, post it here.

If it's photos of your truck in general, there's the Photo Forum.

If it's photos of a trip or a group meeting, there's the Treffen Forum.
#221155 - in reply to #221149
Author
Posted 4/6/2014 12:41 PM
TCao

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500

Gilamonster - 4/5/2014 10:09 PM Thanks guys for all the good input. It is really helpful. I'll post some pics soon. Being new here, Where on the site is the best place for posting pics? My ORC springs feel good at this point and the vehicle sits level front to rear. The Mercedes auxiliary fuel filter/water trap finally arrived and it will go in next week, along with new door seals, belt, and A/C drain tubes. It will be interesting to see if I get any water out of the diesel, and if so, when. I have been using Stanadyne Performance with each tank and it makes a notable difference. While the King shocks are truly things of beauty, I'll be going with the Koni Raids and I'm sure they will do the trick with reliability and comfort. I'll apply the savings to the new solar system/batteries for the camper - it's the next item on the list. William

Good choice on the Koni Raid shocks and it looks like they're still at 25% off discount from the Koni USA website. Since you've found the right springs for your G (ORC), it's a matter of adjusting the Koni shocks to match these springs.

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cfm?mt_id=1&my_year=2002&mak_id=26&mod_id=507&submit=Search&as_sfid=AAAAAAWiVZRIYy5zx60q0SuUtUf9VTkEYrZ%2Fahznqy11qJPfGzGFfNK6bxlrPM%2BRKWylevRgnFfsNksWEXlqw5NPc8vJ6lmmFUei6E7iSiBcco9mBg%3D%3D&as_fid=oQjjYLM3LjrM%2FenZCJGz

I've been using photobucket (free) for posting photos here  but you can also attach the photos as long as they are sized correctly (1000 pixels max on the long size). You can use a simple utility program like Windows Live Photo Gallery to resize the photos to the correct size. Looking forward to your updates and trip reports.

#221162 - in reply to #221149
Author
Posted 4/6/2014 6:14 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

1- Have Marc show you the correct grease pump and tip for the well-type grease fittings. These work best with a straight-push type of grease pump, not the lever type.

2- Forget limiting straps. Just get the Koni Heavy Track shocks. They have internal bump stops on full extension that are intended to serve the same purpose that the straps do without all the PITA of straps wearing out, hanging up on things, etc etc.

Good luck. Hope to see you out there some time.

-Dave G.
#221168 - in reply to #221149
Author
Posted 4/6/2014 6:43 PM
bram_r
Expert

@ Dave, both the Heavy Tracks and the Raids come in sufficient length options for both 460 and 463 to not need any limiting straps.
As I remember correctly, the rear shock lenght is the same on all G models. The front shocks of the 460 model are longer compared to the 463 model.

@ William; would you happen to have any partnumbers of the diesel/water seperator you ordered? Is it a (part of a) kit or just the filter/seperator.
Please share some pics of the installation on that one. curious where it will be positioned in the fuel system (or is it just a replacement of the standard diesel filter?)
Some info already here: http://pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=21082&posts=...

Bram

Edited by bram_r 4/6/2014 6:45 PM
#221169 - in reply to #221031
Author
Posted 4/18/2014 12:54 AM
Gilamonster
Veteran

bram_r - 4/6/2014 4:43 PM

@ Dave, both the Heavy Tracks and the Raids come in sufficient length options for both 460 and 463 to not need any limiting straps.
As I remember correctly, the rear shock lenght is the same on all G models. The front shocks of the 460 model are longer compared to the 463 model.

@ William; would you happen to have any partnumbers of the diesel/water seperator you ordered? Is it a (part of a) kit or just the filter/seperator.
Please share some pics of the installation on that one. curious where it will be positioned in the fuel system (or is it just a replacement of the standard diesel filter?)
Some info already here: http://pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=21082&posts=...

Bram

Bram,

Finally got the filter/separator installed. I got the part from Eurotruck Importers. Tomorrow I'll find the packing slip and see if it has the part #. It is mounted to the driver's side of the engine compartment (LHD) just forward of and below the diff locker reservoir. There were unused factory mounting holes in that location so it was convenient. There is good access to the 10mm drain on the bottom of the screw on filter and it doesn't obstruct access to anything else.

The kit only included the filter and the manifold/mounting bracket that the filter screws to. My mechanic had to dig up the appropriate fittings, fuel line and brackets so that it stands off the inside of the fender (not sure of the proper term).

It is situated on the fuel line as it comes into the engine compartment - before the pump and standard filter. I'm not sure how it works on this engine when it is stock, but I think the fuel line goes thru a diesel warmer, thru the stock filter and then into the injector pump. Now it goes thru the water trap first.

I've attached some pics. Let me know if there is anything I can look at and/or photograph that would be helpful to you.

William

(G aux fuel filter 002.JPG)

(G aux fuel filter 003.JPG)

(G aux fuel filter 004.JPG)

(G aux fuel filter 005.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments G aux fuel filter 002.JPG (54KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments G aux fuel filter 003.JPG (44KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments G aux fuel filter 004.JPG (54KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments G aux fuel filter 005.JPG (47KB - 0 downloads)
#221445 - in reply to #221169
Author
Posted 4/18/2014 1:25 AM
Gilamonster
Veteran

hipine - 4/6/2014 4:14 PM

1- Have Marc show you the correct grease pump and tip for the well-type grease fittings. These work best with a straight-push type of grease pump, not the lever type.

2- Forget limiting straps. Just get the Koni Heavy Track shocks. They have internal bump stops on full extension that are intended to serve the same purpose that the straps do without all the PITA of straps wearing out, hanging up on things, etc etc.

Good luck. Hope to see you out there some time.

-Dave G.

Dave,

Thanks. With Dutch's input I got the correct tip but used my lever type pump and got it greased up; what a pain with the lever pump. I'll have to get the push type... soon.

I ordered the Koni HT Raids. I really hope they come in before my mid-May trip - 1500 miles of mostly dirt and fresh shocks sure would be nice.

I look forward to meeting you some day. I get to southern CO 4 or 5 times a year.

William

Edited by Gilamonster 4/18/2014 1:27 AM
#221447 - in reply to #221168
Author
Posted 4/18/2014 11:34 AM
G-AMG
G-Class DIY Host

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '04 G55, '80 280GE, '99 S420, '98 E320, 2011 E350

QUOTE]

I got the correct tip but used my lever type pump and got it greased up; what a pain with the lever pump. I'll have to get the push type... soon.

Or, make your life even easier with "Pneumatic" help.

(4.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 4.JPG (94KB - 0 downloads)
#221455 - in reply to #221447
Author
Posted 4/18/2014 5:55 PM
bram_r
Expert

Gilamonster - 4/18/2014 6:54 AM
Bram,

Finally got the filter/separator installed. I got the part from Eurotruck Importers. Tomorrow I'll find the packing slip and see if it has the part #. It is mounted to the driver's side of the engine compartment (LHD) just forward of and below the diff locker reservoir. There were unused factory mounting holes in that location so it was convenient. There is good access to the 10mm drain on the bottom of the screw on filter and it doesn't obstruct access to anything else.

The kit only included the filter and the manifold/mounting bracket that the filter screws to. My mechanic had to dig up the appropriate fittings, fuel line and brackets so that it stands off the inside of the fender (not sure of the proper term).

It is situated on the fuel line as it comes into the engine compartment - before the pump and standard filter. I'm not sure how it works on this engine when it is stock, but I think the fuel line goes thru a diesel warmer, thru the stock filter and then into the injector pump. Now it goes thru the water trap first.

I've attached some pics. Let me know if there is anything I can look at and/or photograph that would be helpful to you.

William

Aha, I was wondering if the small in-line pre-filter would stay in place when installing this filter/separator.

On my engine (both the om617 and om602) there a small inline filter where the diesel fuel line enters the engine bay.
Then on the om602, the fuel line passes a diesel warmer/cooler and then to the main filter before going to the injection pump.

On the topic link I posted there's an EPC screenprint where you can see the original set-up on the 290GDT with bad-roads options, still having the small inline filter (#20) in place before the large filter/seperator (#23).
Anyway you got your filter in a nice and convenient place if you ask me.

Good luck with the Raids and your next trip!

gr. Bram

Edited by bram_r 4/18/2014 6:04 PM
#221460 - in reply to #221445
Author
Posted 6/8/2014 8:16 PM
Gilamonster
Veteran

The Koni shocks are in and installed. Perfect for my heavy G. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

I have the fronts set at ++ and the rears set at +++. I can detect a very subtle difference in the dampening rate between front and rear. I'll turn the rears up. It rides so nice even with the difference.

Thanks for all of the input; saved me some disappointment I'm sure.

Here are some pics of the rear - before and after and a comparison between the old and new. Note the offset of the lower mount so as to accommodate the larger diameter of the cylinder.

(Koni Rear 007.JPG)

(Koni Rear 005.JPG)

(Koni Rear 003.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Koni Rear 007.JPG (49KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Koni Rear 005.JPG (218KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Koni Rear 003.JPG (47KB - 0 downloads)
#222300 - in reply to #220974
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12