Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Air/Oil Separator install - naturally aspirated M113

Page 1 of 1 1
Air/Oil Separator install - naturally aspirated M113
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/16/2014 9:28 PM
t_b
Regular

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle(s): 2006 G500
Air/Oil Separator install - naturally aspirated M113

Thanks to 03-Gwagen for jolting my memory with a thread about oil catch cans a while back.

I have installed air/oil separators on a few vehicles in the past and had good success with them. There is lots of information out there regarding what they do and why you want one, so I'll keep this topic to the "how?" instead of the "why?".

I had a spare separator and some vacuum fittings laying around, so last weekend I decided to whip up a system for my G. I needed about 7 feet of 3/8" inside diameter emissions rated vacuum hose to install the system.

The one I am using came from Jeg's, although there are all sort of companies selling all sorts of a/o separators. They'll all be "universal fit" - you won't find one that is plug and play for a G (that I know of).

I began by locating a good spot for the separator. I don't like to drill mounting holes if I don't have to, and as luck would have it I didn't need to. This is the driver's side of the engine bay just aft of the vacuum pump:

photo 1_zps105b3a2e.jpg

I measured the spacing between those existing holes (for a factory Webasto, perhaps?) and made an aluminum bracket for my separator. I went out and found some rubber well nuts for the bracket to body connection:

photo 2_zps03f31983.jpg

photo 3_zps8ab3173f.jpg

The naturally aspirated M113 draws crankcase ventilation from the top of each valve cover when vacuum is present (anything other than wide open throttle). Those hoses connect to a rubber "T" that terminates on the intake side of the throttle body.

photo 4_zpsa4d07281.jpg

There is also a single, larger vacuum hose on the driver's side valve cover that terminates on the MAF side of the throttle body - that is a WOT-only system and is not used for this application. In this next picture you can see how I capped the passenger's side of the T and connected the new hose to the other. That hose connects to the outlet, or the "clean" side of the separator and will no longer draw dirty, sooty oil vapors into the motor.

photo 5_zps66860700.jpg

This is the new passenger's side PCV hose:

photo 6_zps038e4fca.jpg

Which connects to a T (circled) that joins it to the new hose from the driver's side valve cover:

photo 7_zpsd3c464b6.jpg

Via the T, those hoses connect to the inlet, or the "dirty" side of the separator (closest in this picture):

photo 8_zps69fb2e2c.jpg

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/16/2014 9:29 PM
t_b
Regular

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle(s): 2006 G500
RE: Air/Oil Separator install - naturally aspirated M113

So far so good…

This is after about 3/4 of a tank of gas (250 miles or so). I’m glad to know that oily filth is no longer making it inside my engine.

photo 9_zpsc25d3c56.jpg
#221407 - in reply to #221406
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/17/2014 9:25 AM
w.james
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 84 280 GE 617A 5sp getrag
Re: Air/Oil Separator install - naturally aspirated M113

Kinda looks like the prefilter on my 617a
#221409 - in reply to #221406