Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : DHS and Vehicle Seizures

Page 1 of 3 123
DHS and Vehicle Seizures
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/29/2014 6:35 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
DHS and Vehicle Seizures

The portent of things to come!

http://www.infowars.com/homeland-security-agents-raid-home-to-seize...

Way over stepping their original raison d'être.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/29/2014 7:16 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: DHS and Vehicle Seizures

There is a huge (and marginally informative) thread on this here:

Homeland Security took my Defender 110

In summary, it seems that a specific importer got very creative with their interpretation of the import rules.  Ostensibly, these vehicles were all 25 years or older at import.  For some vehicles this does not seem to have been the case.  Either way, many vehicles were swept up in the evidence dragnet that resulted.  The final disposition of each vehicle is still up in the air.  

#223154 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 7/29/2014 7:49 PM
MudMonkey
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle(s): '03 G500
Re: DHS and Vehicle Seizures

Sure, these Land Rovers may have been imported incorrectly, or even fraudulently.

But the "Dawn Raid" quasi-SWAT tactics are uncalled for, and ridiculous.

Someone needs to squash these folks before they become even more Gestapo in their operating practices.

The government is no longer under the control of its people, if you ask me.
#223155 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 7/30/2014 2:04 AM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

what are you smokin'?

The government is there to control the people.

Who do you think you are?
#223163 - in reply to #223155
Author
Posted 7/30/2014 4:40 AM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213

I know I didn't vote for "dawn raids!"
I just wanted change.
#223165 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 7/30/2014 2:07 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

otiswesty - 7/30/2014 4:40 AM

I just wanted change.

And you got it in spades.
#223171 - in reply to #223165
Author
Posted 7/30/2014 5:41 PM
MudMonkey
Veteran

DUTCH - 7/30/2014 2:07 PM

otiswesty - 7/30/2014 4:40 AM

I just wanted change.

And you got it in spades.

And it's only getting worse.
#223172 - in reply to #223171
Author
Posted 7/30/2014 5:53 PM
koly
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500

AlanMcR - 7/29/2014 5:16 PM

In summary, it seems that a specific importer got very creative with their interpretation of the import rules.  Ostensibly, these vehicles were all 25 years or older at import.  For some vehicles this does not seem to have been the case.  Either way, many vehicles were swept up in the evidence dragnet that resulted.  The final disposition of each vehicle is still up in the air.  

So far, 6 of the vehicles taken in this sweep have been deemed 'incorrect' seizures based on bad VIN information and are en route back to their owners.
#223173 - in reply to #223154
Author
Posted 7/30/2014 8:16 PM
jack7preston

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle(s): 87 LWB 2 door with rear barn door Kastenwagen, G55

wow thats great news for the owners and hopeful news for the remaining owners of detained trucks.
#223175 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 7/30/2014 9:27 PM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

koly - 7/30/2014 3:53 PM

AlanMcR - 7/29/2014 5:16 PM

So far, 6 of the vehicles taken in this sweep have been deemed 'incorrect' seizures based on bad VIN information and are en route back to their owners.

So bad VIN information could not have been sorted out with actions short of showing up and confiscating vehicles? This was an over the top police action wasting resources and violating peoples rights. It was planned, intentionally intimidating and COMPLETELY avoidable. The lack of uproar and publicity beyond the directly affected is a sad diatribe for a once free society... well almost free anyway.
#223176 - in reply to #223173
Author
Posted 7/30/2014 10:00 PM
MudMonkey
Veteran

Brent - 7/30/2014 9:27 PM

So bad VIN information could not have been sorted out with actions short of showing up and confiscating vehicles? This was an over the top police action wasting resources and violating peoples rights. It was planned, intentionally intimidating and COMPLETELY avoidable. The lack of uproar and publicity beyond the directly affected is a sad diatribe for a once free society... well almost free anyway.

Agreed.
#223178 - in reply to #223176
Author
Posted 7/31/2014 6:18 AM
diesel_jim
Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle(s): LR Defender 110, 1989 W460 SWB

I'm a Land rover owner as well, have been for years.

Trouble is, even here in the UK, you see vehicles on ebay and such ready for export, being 25 years old, and it's plain to see that the only 25 year old part is the riveted on tin VIN plate.

Thinks like a Td5 or puma 2.2/2.4 defender having previously been an old raggedy farm hack... noooo way (would be like saying a 350CDi LWB G wagen on an old 460 VIN plate with a rattly diesel....)

shame on the sellers for doing such a thing, but also shame on the importers in the US for buying them.
some blame could be directed at the end purchaser, but if you go to a "dealer" who you assume is reputable, then it's a right shitter to get your truck hauled away.

I agree, some of the tactics of the DHS seem a bit heavy handed, although in saying that, the US has a right to bear arms (you lucky sods!) so I suppose that they (the police) don't know what they're going to encounter when the door opens.
#223183 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 7/31/2014 8:46 AM
Brent
Expert

I have no doubt that this was a test to gauge reaction. What are federal agents going to be met with when they try to carry out illegal police actions? They watched the altercation with the rancher go south fast when the numbers were not in their favor. Half a dozen "agents" showing up for one old car? Seriously?

See, the problem is, we are ALL criminals. That is what society has agreed too. There are so many rules and regulations we are all destined to violate one or more of them. That opens the door for bad situations like this. The unwashed masses look at it and say "they should have been more careful", "they should not have broken the law", "this was unfortunate" but it is a whole lot worse than that. If you think you are immune to this sort of violation of your rights, this incident should just be another in a series of incidents demonstrating otherwise.

The gun issue is an intersting one. I haven't heard of any of the owners confronting the feds with guns. No wild west shoot outs that I heard of. Does this just lead to another push to remove guns from owners posession? It is a safety issue for the federal police, at your door to violate your rights...

Safety... don't sell out to this false notion. We really could use some more natural selection and fewer stupid warning labels.
#223187 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 8/1/2014 10:37 PM
Floobydust
Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle(s): 1995 E320 Cabrio, 2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8

DHS should be renamed the Department of Homeland Suppression! This is a prefect illustration of two old adages - absolute power corrupts absolutely and idle hands are the devil's plaything. DHS was given funding and authority to do virtually anything to "protect the homeland", but as time went on, and there were no more 9/11s, they had to find something to do with all of that funding and authority. So why not go out a terrorize a few car owners while solidifying our power base? It makes us looks macho and makes us feel really macho (we get to use our bullet proof vests with DHS printed on them and point guns and all that), and it will certainly justify our existence. This is not the first time that the government has used outside threats to solidify power at the expense of innocent people (the McCarthy hearings come to mind) nor will it be the last. But the scope and effect seems to be growing with each incursion, and that has me very worried.
#223235 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 8/3/2014 3:48 PM
Suppatime

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle(s): 1980 300GD OM606 / 717.4xx Custom, 2003 C32 AMG

Here's my thought on the process:

First off, we have MB itself to blame for importation regulations, as they were tired of US customers going to Europe to purchase their vehicles for cheaper than we get them in the US and shipping them over.

Second, moreover than anything else, this is a US Customs issue. To them, these vehicles do not meet our safety standards, and people circumventing this law are doing something illegal. It's one thing importing a 25+ year old "collector vehicle"; it's another thing swapping VINs to make a new vehicle appear as though it were an older one and profiting from it and other vehicles like it.

The only part that saddens me is that the owners of these vehicles may have been duped by the seller, and should have been given an option to sell the vehicle overseas to try to recoup their losses rather than have the vehicles be crushed. But again, they are trying to send a message.
#223266 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 8/3/2014 4:30 PM
Brent
Expert

Suppatime - 8/3/2014 1:48 PM

First off, we have MB itself to blame for importation regulations, as they were tired of US customers going to Europe to purchase their vehicles for cheaper than we get them in the US and shipping them over.

Second, moreover than anything else, this is a US Customs issue. To them, these vehicles do not meet our safety standards, and people circumventing this law are doing something illegal. It's one thing importing a 25+ year old "collector vehicle"; it's another thing swapping VINs to make a new vehicle appear as though it were an older one and profiting from it and other vehicles like it.

The only part that saddens me is that the owners of these vehicles may have been duped by the seller, and should have been given an option to sell the vehicle overseas to try to recoup their losses rather than have the vehicles be crushed. But again, they are trying to send a message.

Sounds like more excuses for unnecessary police action to me. Is it your position this this was reasonable and/or necessary? Are you OK with your government sending messages to it's citizenry in this fashion?

Some of the vehicles have been returned. That tells me they did not do their jobs in the first place because, there were better ways to handle this that STILL would have made news on a few internet forums.

Just accept that being OK with this "because it was illegal" (even if it wasn't necessarily in all cases), that you will make the list soon enough because the list of offenses we send the gestapo out for is on the increase.

Just talking about this may be enough to slow/stop/reverse this type of thing. Accepting a bullies behavior only emboldens the bully.
#223268 - in reply to #223266
Author
Posted 8/3/2014 8:34 PM
greynolds

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle(s): 2017 G63 (Obsidian Black / Titanium Grey Pearl)

Brent - 8/3/2014 4:30 PM
Sounds like more excuses for unnecessary police action to me. Is it your position this this was reasonable and/or necessary? Are you OK with your government sending messages to it's citizenry in this fashion?

Some of the vehicles have been returned. That tells me they did not do their jobs in the first place because, there were better ways to handle this that STILL would have made news on a few internet forums.

Just accept that being OK with this "because it was illegal" (even if it wasn't necessarily in all cases), that you will make the list soon enough because the list of offenses we send the gestapo out for is on the increase.

Just talking about this may be enough to slow/stop/reverse this type of thing. Accepting a bullies behavior only emboldens the bully.

If the vehicles were brought into the country illegally, either because they are stolen property or don't meet the 25 year rule, then I have no problem with DHS seizing the vehicles. Land Rover themselves provided DHS with some bad info on some of the vehicles, which is why some have been returned.

What I do have a problem with is how DHS went about seizing the vehicles. I really doubt they were seriously concerned that they would be dealing with a hostile armed militia when they showed up to seize the vehicles, so there was no need for the theatrics of showing up with a small army to seize a Land Rover.
#223269 - in reply to #223268
Author
Posted 8/4/2014 8:54 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

greynolds - 8/3/2014 6:34 PM
...no need for the theatrics of showing up with a small army to seize a Land Rover.

Totally correct. The repo-men and bounty hunters are out there doing it every day. Quick, quiet, efficient. Granted, a coordinated effort was probably best to avoid people doing stupid things as word got around, but still, less is more in these cases. Unless of course its all about pumping up the maximum number of egos in the process, "then you get what we have here."

-Dave G.
#223277 - in reply to #223269
Author
Posted 8/4/2014 12:23 PM
MudMonkey
Veteran

Suppatime - 8/3/2014 3:48 PM

At the time of this Gestapo action, neither DHS nor you knew that every one of these Land Rover's circumvented our importation process - they only suspected it. Since this action, we have learned that some of them WERE imported properly and have been returned to their owners.

It is wrong of the DHS and of you to presume guilt. We are supposed to be presumed innocent in America, aren't we? You appear to believe in our laws... ?

It's very clear that the DHS is trying to send a message. But the government is supposed to serve the people, and treat the people with respect. This was a police action, and it was about overkill - if a group of big dudes in tactical uniforms with short haircuts and AR-15's showed up at your door to confiscate your G-wagen, you would probably cave in right away and let them take it... instead of refusing to submit to unreasonable search and seizure, which this clearly was. Effectively this was an administrative crime, a white collar one - not the Feds vs the Mob.

How many times, for example, have we seen tactical teams bust the door down to raid a home, and put 200 rounds into the guy inside, only to find out the address was wrong?

What about the one not too long ago where a young Marine, recently home from Afghanistan, saw dark figures moving around outside in his yard one night - told his wife to take the kids and hide - met the intruders at the front door holding his own personal AR-15, and was killed protecting his family by a couple hundred government rounds... again, only to find out that the tactical team had the wrong address.

As a person who believes in the 2nd Amendment, and who has experienced a home invasion, I will protect my wife and child if I'm not sure who's coming through the door --- just as the law permits. If it happens to be some overcharged government team who picked the wrong place, I would expect to be gunned down as well. This is Freedom in America in 2014, and it's not right.

To me, it smacks of the lockdown of Boston during the manhunt for the marathon bombers - forcing people to stay in their homes, and to be subjected to armed teams pushing their way into their homes to "check their papers" and search their homes. Remember the Nazi's, anyone...? It's an absolutely fair comparison.

Like Brent said, this is part of a bigger problem. We are being tested, and we are giving up our freedoms inch by inch, day by day.

Is someone going to call them on the carpet to explain themselves? No. Is there accountability for those government "servants" who treat the citizenry like this? No.

Clearly you don't question them at all. I think you are completely wrong.
#223281 - in reply to #223266
Author
Posted 8/4/2014 1:30 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL

I think this kind of hyperbole has no place on this particular discussion board.   There is a discussion board intended for this kind of discussion: PointedThree Off Topic
#223282 - in reply to #223281
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 3 123