Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : DHS and Vehicle Seizures

Page 2 of 3 123
DHS and Vehicle Seizures
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/5/2014 1:26 PM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213
Re: DHS and Vehicle Seizures

^^^Agree
#223295 - in reply to #223268
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/5/2014 7:11 PM
Brent
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
RE: DHS and Vehicle Seizures

Thank goodness the left coast has chimed in....
#223298 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 8/5/2014 11:33 PM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213

Next thing you know, we'll be annexing the Sudetenland.
#223303 - in reply to #223295
Author
Posted 8/6/2014 8:20 AM
Brent
Expert

otiswesty - 8/5/2014 9:33 PM

Next thing you know, we'll be annexing the Sudetenland.

Different goal this time... same tactics, glad you recognized them
#223306 - in reply to #223303
Author
Posted 8/6/2014 9:11 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Brent - 8/5/2014 5:11 PM

Okay, that's way over the line, Brent.

I second Alan's opinion. Much of this is why I suggested the subject be locked here when I brought it up. I felt it appropriate to share the info, but unfortunately knew where the discussion would go. Please take the rhetoric back to the forums designed for people who are interested in such things. We need to keep focussed on Gwagen content here.

And as for the kind of petty reply above, by someone who at one time at least was considered a moderator of this forum, well there's just plain no excuse for it and I won't be associated with any forum that condones it, much less practices it.

-Dave G.
#223307 - in reply to #223298
Author
Posted 8/7/2014 8:33 AM
Brent
Expert

hipine - 8/6/2014 7:11 AM

I second Alan's opinion. Much of this is why I suggested the subject be locked here when I brought it up. I felt it appropriate to share the info, but unfortunately knew where the discussion would go. Please take the rhetoric back to the forums designed for people who are interested in such things. We need to keep focussed on Gwagen content here.

And as for the kind of petty reply above, by someone who at one time at least was considered a moderator of this forum, well there's just plain no excuse for it and I won't be associated with any forum that condones it, much less practices it.

-Dave G.

It is OK for Alan to refer to the discussion as hyperbole though I guess.... There are an awful lot of people (clearly), that find this sort of action to be a huge red warning flag waving in the wind over this country.

It offends you though when I speak the truth about a geographical area of the country? It is a simple fact that the west and east coast regions of this country vote on the liberal side. Not a dig Dave, just a fact, the voting maps are easy to find if you dispute my point.

Way over the line? Seriously? What was way over the line Dave was this police action. Discussing it, especially amongst those who would prefer to ignore the ramifications, it EXACTLY what needs to be done. It pleases me to see some offended, those offended are the ones who need this pushed in their face the most because they have participated in getting us to this point.

I am angry too Dave, angry and disappointed, just for a different set of reasons.

It is also pretty obvious that people do want to discuss this or the thread wouldn't have reached 2 pages so quickly, so I guess you will have to do what you feel you have to do. It would be a shame if you chose not to participate here anymore. I don't participate in the other G forum because I just can't stomach the feel or the obvious, underlying politics. Good thing we have choices then, at least until our govt takes them away like so many other lost freedoms.

It is frightening to me to see such a push to avoid discussion of this since it seems extremely relevant to grey market G owners, guys like you and Alan for instance...
#223317 - in reply to #223307
Author
Posted 8/7/2014 9:28 AM
Warren T
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 230GE,300GD,300D

not sure the original subject has anything to do with left-right politics. The liberal side
didn't invent the Department of homeland security nor the conditions that made it necessary.

The biggest danger to democracy is when politicians manipulate the ignorant masses for
special interest groups (MONEY).
Best defence is EDUCATION. Brain power will dominate fire power every time.

Don't fear the power of the state, just make sure the right people control it.

Warren
#223319 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 8/7/2014 11:30 AM
MudMonkey
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle(s): '03 G500

Brent - 8/5/2014 7:11 PM

Agreed.

I've got my popcorn and Coke ready, I'm very interested to hear what liberals have to say about the issue. Always entertaining.

PREDICTION - "More government! Let's make it illegal to do illegal things! And we need another police force made up of morbidly-obese armed thugs to oversee the paperwork and raid our homes at their discretion. For their public service, we will pay them a better salary and give them a better retirement than 80% of Americans will ever see."

Edited by MudMonkey 8/7/2014 11:34 AM
#223322 - in reply to #223298
Author
Posted 8/7/2014 11:52 AM
jack7preston

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle(s): 87 LWB 2 door with rear barn door Kastenwagen, G55

Edited by jack7preston 8/7/2014 11:55 AM
#223323 - in reply to #223322
Author
Posted 8/7/2014 12:22 PM
MudMonkey
Veteran

hipine - 8/6/2014 9:11 AM

-Dave G.

What is it that you don't want to be associated with? Disagreement over controversial topics? Open discussion regarding our government's activities?

Move it to Off Topic, sure. But lock it, so that people can't discuss it, and effectively censure our voices? I forget... are we in China?

What has happened to us? Have we become so weak-minded that we can't handle any sort of opposition, if it's just the written word?

Guess what, Alan and Dave... if you don't like reading it, you don't have to click on it. You have that freedom.
#223324 - in reply to #223307
Author
Posted 8/8/2014 8:16 AM
Brent
Expert

Warren T - 8/7/2014 7:28 AM

not sure the original subject has anything to do with left-right politics. The liberal side
didn't invent the Department of homeland security nor the conditions that made it necessary.

The biggest danger to democracy is when politicians manipulate the ignorant masses for
special interest groups (MONEY).
Best defence is EDUCATION. Brain power will dominate fire power every time.

Don't fear the power of the state, just make sure the right people control it.

Warren

Well Warren, it is my opinion that the wrong people control it. When the wrong people run the state it is definately something to fear. It is a problem that has ocurred repeatedly throughout history. The examples are there for all who choose the educate themselves. I disagree that education alone will make any difference. Our educational system is badly tainted and badly skewed at this time, the educational system touted and controlled by the left. In addition the media in this country is heavily biased to the left making mass education about the facts extremely difficult. This means we have about half of the country extremely upset over the course we are on and, that half is not being heard. If you think it will not come to firepower, like it ALWAYS does, you may need to further educate yourself on the subject.

What you are witnessing is the govt testing the people. They operate around the fringes, targeting small groups first. Soon this all seems normal and the state increases its encroachment on our freedoms until there are none left.

Can you explain to me why the state may have felt the need to resort to these tactics over hobby vehicles? If they just wanted to send a message why didn't they simply start with the US mail service? Unfortunately, I think it is more sinister than many would like to admit.
#223336 - in reply to #223319
Author
Posted 8/8/2014 2:36 PM
koly
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500

Not sure how much it will help, but there's an online petition set up on whitehouse.gov to get the rule repealed/relaxed:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-dotepa-“25-year-rul...
#223339 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 8/8/2014 2:53 PM
gerryvz
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle(s): 1994 G320, 1989 560SEC, 1994 E500 (W124)

That "petition" process for the White House is a PR stunt that has never been and will never be taken seriously. It's a "check off" item so that Obama and his crew can say that they "listen" to the American people. What a joke.

If you want to get the rule changed, petition your US Senator and US Representatives from your state.

Brent is 100% correct ... this is just a test by the government to gauge civil resistance. Just like the "test" with the rancher in Nevada, to which people stood up to and made the government back down.

I do not know if it will be in my lifetime (I figure I've got about 30 good years left on this planet) but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that at some point, there will be an armed uprising among citizens of this country against the government and its over-reach and heavy-handedness on the citizenry.

What do you think the American Revolution (and the Continental Congresses, Declaration of Independence, and so forth leading up to it) was?

This is all one major reason why, six years ago, I moved from "the left coast" to Texas. Of just about any place in the US, Texas is probably the most resistant to the Federal Government and its excesses. Texans won't put up with the shenanigans of the federal government, as evidenced by our Governor's recent calling out of the Texas National Guard, Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas Rangers, and various Texas law enforcement bodies to head south to the border to help augment the almost laughable efforts by the DHS to secure our southern border.

Yet the DHS is going after a couple dozen gray-market Range Rovers, that have been in the country for many years?

I agree 100% that the law should be enforced, but don't you all think that threats to our national sovereignty and potentially national security should be prioritized by the DHS over strong-arming a few harmless US citizens and confiscating (with dubious proof, in some cases) their hard-earned property?

A lot of people seem to agree with me; Texas is gaining more than 1,000 new residents (illegals streaming over the border not counted in this number) each and every day. If Texas were to secede, I would support it and millions of other Texans would, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC16-4fh-Qc

Cheers,
Gerry
#223340 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 8/8/2014 3:46 PM
Boy G
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): Diesel G's: 617A and 602

gerryvz - 8/7/2014 8:53 P

Texas is probably the most resistant to the Federal Government and its excesses.

The George's Bush were not Texan?
#223343 - in reply to #223340
Author
Posted 8/8/2014 4:57 PM
gerryvz
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle(s): 1994 G320, 1989 560SEC, 1994 E500 (W124)

What does it matter where a past President lived and made their career, when you're talking about current excesses being practiced by the executive branch of our Federal government overseen by a President who has been in office for the past 5.5 years?

It's funny how the Bush name even now gets seen as the root of all evils and what is perceived to be wrong with the US; it's as if the current occupant of the White House never even lived there.

But for the record.....

George Herbert Walker Bush (the father) is not a Texan, though he made some of his [pre-government] career here in the oil business.  He is actually a native of Massachusetts and Connecticut.  He was educated in Connecticut, Massachusetts and at Yale University in Connecticut.  He currently lives here in Houston, TX.

George Walker Bush (the son) could be considered a Texan, though he was born in New Haven, Connecticut. He grew up in Midland and here in Houston, TX, and went to Yale University in Connecticut before having most of his career here in Texas until he became President. He currently spreads his time between Dallas and Midland, TX.

#223344 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 8/8/2014 5:26 PM
JamesG
Regular

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2011 G550, 2000 L.C.,1997 L.C.1987 FJ60

I agree, some of the tactics of the DHS seem a bit heavy handed, although in saying that, the US has a right to bear arms (you lucky sods!) so I suppose that they (the police) don't know what they're going to encounter when the door opens.

Funny you should say "lucky sods." I kinda feel that way about countries that have choices, i.e. Defenders, landcruiser 70 series trucks, and Nissan Patrols etc. I wish we had those choices in the colonies.

As far as "left coast" for me that describes their majority politics and a predominately left leaning ideology; I stay away from it but I'm not upset about.
#223345 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 8/9/2014 1:10 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
To Lighten the Tone a Bit

Don't feed the bears! Taken in a Denali National Park yesterday.

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (214KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (225KB - 0 downloads)
#223347 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 8/9/2014 9:57 PM
greynolds

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle(s): 2017 G63 (Obsidian Black / Titanium Grey Pearl)
RE: To Lighten the Tone a Bit

Nice shots. I hope to get to Alaska some day. The cubs are adorable.
#223356 - in reply to #223347
Author
Posted 8/14/2014 12:54 AM
thairish

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 461: 230ge/swb & g300cdi/lwb

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21599349-americas-polic...

No one wants to eliminate SWAT teams. Imminent threats to human life require a swift, forceful response. That, say critics, is what SWAT teams should be used for: not for serving warrants on people suspected of nonviolent crimes, breaking up poker games or seeing that the Pumpkin Festival doesn’t get out of hand.
#223433 - in reply to #223152
Author
Posted 8/14/2014 1:30 AM
MudMonkey
Veteran

Good read, thairish.
#223434 - in reply to #223152