Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 1990 463 300GD Cooling issue

Page 1 of 1 1
1990 463 300GD Cooling issue
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/12/2014 6:20 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo
1990 463 300GD Cooling issue

I have been experiencing over the last year strange cooling issues with my G. First there was the pressure that remained in the upper radiator hose over night. I would open the plastic expansion tank and release the pressure. Then some mornings there would be a puddle of radiator fluid under my G. Other mornings nothing.
I found various exit points points to be wet:
The small nipple on top of the radiator that goes to the expansion tank,
The upper radiator hose where it attaches to the tank
The flushing T that I installed in my heater hose line.

Actions taken:
I did a citrus flush
New Behr thermostat
Fresh MB radiator fluid
Newer fan clutch and fan (11 blade)

The solution came when I spoke to the local radiator shop. They said blocked radiator.
So this weekend I picked up a new radiator, new 4 bolt fan clutch and a 461 upper radiator hose (direct replacement for mine) from Eurotruck. My 300GD uses the same radiator as all the newer G500 and G55s. Sean had a stock of them from his recent purchase of all the US military G-wagen surplus. (yes the US had G-wagens)
I had also purchased a new expansion tank as mine was brittle and yellow. (FYI the round plastic expansion tank from the 450SL SLC 380SL SLC 1973-1980 are identical to the Gs)

So after replacing all this the build up pressure is gone and no more leaks.
I am thinking that this unwanted pressure would add additional stress to the head of last years newly installed 603 turbo motor. So it appears to be much happier now.

Mark

Edited by Inkblotz 8/12/2014 7:26 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1