Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : New BF Goodrich tires?

Page 1 of 1 1
New BF Goodrich tires?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/18/2014 2:35 AM
Balto
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500
New BF Goodrich tires?

Looks like they are releasing a new AT tire in November. The K02, and looks like it's suppose to give Duratrac more compatetion.

Any of you like BF Goodrich or no any more about the new KO2?

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/all-terrain-t-a-k...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/18/2014 11:53 AM
Brent
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
RE: New BF Goodrich tires?

They do not look like competition for the Duratrac to me. Other than some sidewall decorations, the tread is still less aggressive than I prefer for my use. I am sure it will continue to be a great all around tire, now even more durable and better looking. My only real beef with the BFG AT has been seriously poor snow traction below 50% tread. I have not had this problem with either the Duratrac or the Wrangler AT Pro Armour. Both do much better in snow for me, which is huge where I live.
#224604 - in reply to #224598
Author
Posted 10/18/2014 12:27 PM
Balto
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500

Brent - 10/18/2014 10:53 AM

They do not look like competition for the Duratrac to me. Other than some sidewall decorations, the tread is still less aggressive than I prefer for my use. I am sure it will continue to be a great all around tire, now even more durable and better looking. My only real beef with the BFG AT has been seriously poor snow traction below 50% tread. I have not had this problem with either the Duratrac or the Wrangler AT Pro Armour. Both do much better in snow for me, which is huge where I live.

Ever used a Nitto tire? They too have come out with a Duratrac compete tire. It's called the Exo Grappler and actually has a more aggressive side and a less looking agressive side.

http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/exo-grappler-all-weather...
#224605 - in reply to #224604
Author
Posted 10/18/2014 12:42 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

Balto - 10/18/2014 12:27 PM

Ever used a Nitto tire? They too have come out with a Duratrac compete tire. It's called the Exo Grappler and actually has a more aggressive side and a less looking agressive side.

Some folks here have used the Nitto Terra Grappler with good success.
#224606 - in reply to #224605
Author
Posted 10/18/2014 1:54 PM
Brent
Expert

Balto - 10/18/2014 10:27 AM

No I have not. I learned a long time ago to not even bother with "less expensive" brands. The reason a Michelin costs more is because it is worth it. I have had good luck with Michelin, GoodYear, BFG, Dunlop and bad luck with Kumho, Falken, Cooper. YMMV
#224607 - in reply to #224605
Author
Posted 10/19/2014 8:18 AM
MudMonkey
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle(s): '03 G500

Brent - 10/18/2014 11:53 AM

Can you compare n contrast the Wrangler AT Kevlar Pro Armor and the Duratrac? Trying to decide between the two right now.
#224617 - in reply to #224604
Author
Posted 10/19/2014 11:06 AM
Brent
Expert

MudMonkey - 10/19/2014 6:18 AM

Can you compare n contrast the Wrangler AT Kevlar Pro Armor and the Duratrac? Trying to decide between the two right now.

The duratrac is louder on the highway and you have to be religious about rotation. The wrangler is an excellent all around tire, reasonably quiet, probably more than enough traction for 90% of G adventures. I did poke a hole in the sidewall of a wrangler. That has only happened to me twice in 30 years, so maybe the tire but maybe just my turn. The duratrac I think has stronger sidewalls.

Tons of duratrac tires being used in the mountains. The USFS fits them to their trucks, I have a set, two friends run them on Toyota's (FJ Cruiser and Tacoma). No complaints from anyone that I have heard.

I think in the end either you need/want the more aggressive tread or you do not. As mentioned the drawbacks to that tread pattern are noise and potentially odd treadwear. I think this is fairly common among all mud vs AT tires. I will likely get about 45-50k miles from the duratracs and I squeezed almost 60k from the wranglers. Both great tires IMO!
#224618 - in reply to #224617
Author
Posted 10/19/2014 12:19 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle(s): 500 GE, G55, LM002, H1
Re: New BF Goodrich tires?

For general trail and road use, Graz recommends the Yokohama Geolander tires. I like these tires.
The G55 came with (I think) AVS Yokohama street performance SUV tires and I hated them. I was much happier when I switched to Pirelli Scorpion tires in equivalent size.

I agree with Brent. Not worth skimping on tires.

I like Yokohama and BF Goodrich, Michelin, Pirelli, and Bridgestone myself.

I had Dunlop tires (no longer available) on my G with Brabus wheels. The only issue was (I assume) the rubber was a soft compound and made them a magnet for nails.

Edited by H1LM002G55 10/19/2014 12:21 PM
#224619 - in reply to #224598
Author
Posted 10/19/2014 8:29 PM
MudMonkey
Veteran

Brent - 10/19/2014 11:06 AM

MudMonkey - 10/19/2014 6:18 AM

The duratrac is louder on the highway and you have to be religious about rotation. The wrangler is an excellent all around tire, reasonably quiet, probably more than enough traction for 90% of G adventures. I did poke a hole in the sidewall of a wrangler. That has only happened to me twice in 30 years, so maybe the tire but maybe just my turn. The duratrac I think has stronger sidewalls.

Tons of duratrac tires being used in the mountains. The USFS fits them to their trucks, I have a set, two friends run them on Toyota's (FJ Cruiser and Tacoma). No complaints from anyone that I have heard.

I think in the end either you need/want the more aggressive tread or you do not. As mentioned the drawbacks to that tread pattern are noise and potentially odd treadwear. I think this is fairly common among all mud vs AT tires. I will likely get about 45-50k miles from the duratracs and I squeezed almost 60k from the wranglers. Both great tires IMO!

Thank you.

Have you tried the newer Wrangler AT's with the Kevlar reinforcement in the sidewalls? Wondering if it's a sales gimmick or if it's actually useful. I don't think any other tire manufacturer is chirping about the benefits of Kevlar in a tire... but... maybe it works?

I currently have Geolandar AT's on my G500, and I really like them so far. I have noticed that you see them installed on the Guard G (armored) models in the sales photos. And of course, they are the AT version of the factory fitted Geolandar all season, so Mercedes has some confidence in them as a decent tire, at least.

I have BFG AT KO's on another truck, and they are Ok, but I find them to flat spot easily after being driven, to occasionally be loud, and they just strike me as crude or something, I'm not quite sure why. I don't love them. They have done really well in thick snow, and in very sloppy sticky mud, but they are relatively new so the tread depth is high at the moment.

I'm intrigued by the Wrangler AT's. But, I'm probably going to go for a set of the Duratrac's. I have read an occasional blip here and there about the sidewalls not being very strong... but I don't know. They seem to be popular with a lot of different SUV groups, so they can't be bad.
#224626 - in reply to #224618
Author
Posted 10/20/2014 8:25 AM
Brent
Expert

The Wranglers I had were the kevlar reinforced version. I can't say that it made the sidewalls any tougher since one of mine was punctured there. Most likely a freak thing considering the wealth of sharp rocks around here.

I really to like the Duratracs though. Keep up on the 5,000 mile tire rotations and they should last a good long time.
#224636 - in reply to #224598
Author
Posted 10/20/2014 11:26 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Kevlar belted tires is not new. I had that on a set of Dick Cepek Fun Country tires on my H1 years ago. A nice tire. I believe made by Cooper in the Ohio area.
#224641 - in reply to #224598
Author
Posted 10/20/2014 12:35 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL

I've got to sing the praises of the Yokohama Geolander AT/S.  I've got 65K on my set now, with well over 50% of tread left.  They have endured lots of trail abuse.  Their weakness is that even the tiniest sidewall cut is immediately fatal.  The flexible sidewall is thin and they spit out plugs.
#224646 - in reply to #224598
Author
Posted 10/20/2014 2:32 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

I think patches are the preferred repair method these days. Though I know it is not always the easiest thing to execute on a trail. Goodyear patch technology is very good.
#224650 - in reply to #224598
Author
Posted 10/21/2014 9:04 AM
NYG500

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle(s): 2007 G500

My second set of stock yokohamas had some decent tread left but all four of them were cracking at the tread and side walls, dry rot. I also picked up a screw in one of them and the plug and patch wouldn't take because it was close to the side wall. So the decision to replace immediately was made.

I was between the Yoko ats, revo2 and GY AT w/ Kevlar or duratrac.. I strongly considered the tire that started this thread, BFG KO2 but they wouldn't have the stock size I wanted until spring of 2015, 265/65 18 would be out in about two or three weeks but I didn't want to go bigger. They looked awesome and every size come with the mountain/snowflake snow rating.

I finally settled on getting stock 265/60 18 GY wrangler A/T adventure with Kevlar mentioned above. I had good expirence with the predecessor tire GY silent armor on a wrangler. I was able to get a rebate so it made them cost competitive witht the others I mentioned. They will be put on my G500 tomorrow. I will try to post pictures and post my opinion in a new thread soon.
#224656 - in reply to #224650
Author
Posted 10/21/2014 10:04 AM
MudMonkey
Veteran

Brent - 10/20/2014 8:25 AM

The Wranglers I had were the kevlar reinforced version. I can't say that it made the sidewalls any tougher since one of mine was punctured there. Most likely a freak thing considering the wealth of sharp rocks around here.

I really to like the Duratracs though. Keep up on the 5,000 mile tire rotations and they should last a good long time.

I have seen a couple complaints about the Duratrac's soft easily injured sidewalls. Any thoughts on that?

There are some videos on YouTube of guys with Jeep Wranglers on light to moderate rocks when they have one of their Duratracs let go. Of course, there's always the driver component. It's hard to get empirical evidence.

Here's one of them - the cut happens right near the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Q9OWivM14
#224658 - in reply to #224636
Author
Posted 10/21/2014 11:02 AM
Brent
Expert

I agree that it is very difficult to know what was done wrong in that video. Did they air down for that easy trail? If not, you about double your chances of cutting the sidewall. It also seems like the rocks in that video could have easily been avoided. Dragging a sidewall, especially fully inflated, around a rock is asking for trouble.

I am not easy on the set I have. I do air down to 20-25 psi off road. My tires have quite a few marks on the sidewalls from contact with rocks, stumps etc. No failures on the four sets I am intimately aware of, two of those trucks are off road often for recreation, two used on working trucks for commuting and some off road time.

The fact is ALL sidewalls are going to be thin on LT tires. They must be flexible for the tires to work properly. Claiming thin sidewalls is the problem, demonstrates a lack of understanding tire construction IMO.

I also know that I have been off-road with the most basic passenger car tires and not had a problem with those, ever. All you can really do is hedge your bet with a good set off off-road tires. I suspect you can find cut tires by any manufacturer if you keep looking. As you mention, it is very difficult to gather good evidence.

For years I have watched the local Jeep tour companies send tourists out in Jeeps with seriously questionable tires. Reportedly they rarely loose a tire, and the trails here are loaded with sharp objects and inattentive drivers. I think if I was the guy with the Jeep and had cut 3 sidewalls in a short period of time I would probably look to "user error" rather than blame the tires. If you are the only guy in the group with a problem, that should tell you something...
#224661 - in reply to #224598
Author
Posted 10/21/2014 1:07 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL

In my case the hole came from a cactus spine.  These things were impressive, basically an ice pick made of hardened wood.  It would have gone through pretty much any tire.
#224662 - in reply to #224661
Author
Posted 10/21/2014 4:09 PM
zimm
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle(s): lx470, 76 fj40, 72fj40, 96 gelandewagen g320.

i noticed a significant drop off for the AT's in snow after 1 season... so, say 12,000 miles. the duratracks are amazing in snow, considering how well they handle mud and clay. i will say the sidewalls of the AT are much more durable than the Duratracks. in rough stuff, aired down to exact same psi as i always wheeled the AT's in, i had 2 sidewall slices in 2 days on brand new tires, and the group had 5 sidewall punctures total on duratracks in the 4 days. its anecdotal, sure, but to me it was quite telling. i love the duratrack pattern, i think its the best all rounder ever, but the carcass is a deal killer.

Edited by zimm 10/21/2014 4:11 PM
#224664 - in reply to #224604
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1