Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Rattle/Clicking Noise underneath G500 (with video)

Page 4 of 4 1234
Rattle/Clicking Noise underneath G500 (with video)
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/9/2014 10:50 PM
Gilamonster
Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle(s): G #1 (mix of a 460, 461 & 463), #2 is a 2000 G500
Re: Rattle/Clicking Noise underneath G500 (with video)

WEBIII - 12/9/2014 9:23 AM

Gilamonster - 12/8/2014 9:37 PM

Good news. Mine was replaced last week too.

One thing I've noticed is that the vibration of the transfer case high/low shifter (2000 G500) has been notably minimized.

My mechanic (Marc Beyer) suggested that the engine, transmission and TC mounts should now be replaced. He noticed excessive movement in them all. Perhaps it should be considered that the worn mounts are root of the problem which leads to the compromise to the shaft boots due to the excessive movement (beyond design spec of the shaft) of the components it is connected to... And the new shaft's rigidity is compensating for the worn out mounts hence the post replacement reduced shifter vibration.

If this is indeed the case then without addressing the mounts then the life of HK shaft #2 will be notably shorter than that of shaft #1.

In this scenario the TC shifter excessive movement is an indicator of a mounts issue. For the sake of discussion it would be interesting to know what a similar early indicator would be for vehicle with an electric TC case switch as opposed to the manual shifter. Possibly another advantage of the pre-MBUSA system?

Thoughts?

Just curious how many miles are on your 2000?

About 137k miles.
#225656 - in reply to #225650
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 4 of 4 1234