Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Need advice for creative speaker box installation

Page 1 of 1 1
Need advice for creative speaker box installation
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/2/2014 1:35 AM
WEBIII
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle(s): 461.318, 463.241
Need advice for creative speaker box installation

The 2000 G500 that I bought a few weeks ago has a speaker box containing three speakers installed in the cargo area above the left rear wheel-well (on the opposite side of the cargo area is a similar box containing two amps).

I like the sound and the box build and wiring was professionally done, however the box was secured to the wheel-well with two screws running from the inside of the box down through the wheel-well. The only way to remove the box is to remove the two forward-most speakers (fastened by 8 screws apiece) and then remove the screws that secure the box to the wheel-well.

The obvious problem is that the this box has to be removed in order to access the battery. So now I'm trying to engineer a way to secure this speaker box in the same location but with an easier method for removal. I'm hoping the commonwealth of forum knowledge can offer a good solution.

This last weekend I removed the box to investigate the age/condition of the battery and found some corrosion. Also this battery appears to be at least 9 years old! I might make an Odyssey battery an early Christmas present to myself.

Thanks,
Winston

(Speaker Box.jpg)

(Leaky Battery.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Speaker Box.jpg (10KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Leaky Battery.jpg (13KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/2/2014 2:05 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle(s): 500 GE, G55, LM002, H1
Re: Need advice for creative speaker box installation

Two L-Brackets and attach it to the trim panel in the same manner that the optional rear fold down seat would attach to the trim panel (and body panel behind it).
#225510 - in reply to #225509
Author
Posted 12/2/2014 11:18 AM
WEBIII
Extreme Veteran

I had not thought about using the jump seat mounting points but that sounds like a good idea. I guess the unused threaded bungs (or whatever was fashioned for the seat installation) would still be in the body panel even though I don't have the seats?

If I attached L brackets to the seat mounts I supose that I could then fasten the L bracket to the top of the speaker box with carriage bolts secured via wing nuts. This way I could easily unfasten the brackets and remove the box without needing a screw gun.
#225515 - in reply to #225510
Author
Posted 12/2/2014 11:42 AM
Aircruiser
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, 1986 300GD, 2017 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid

The threaded jumpseat mounting points will be there and would be a good solution for mounting your boxes. I made a butcher paper template of the hole locations if you want it. If you want to remove the interior panels and mark the hole locations on the back side of said pannels, using a pencil with eraser dabed in paint, shortend and stuck in threaded mount points. I used a step drill and a punch for final hole alignment. I have pictures of the process if you would like.

Those ground cables like to corrode between the battery negative/body mount and from below the body/frame. A little chemical and mechanical cleaning followed by some spray protectant has worked wonders for me in that area.

EDIT: added pictures, the last one is a unused project that may work for you, it is designed to be a level surface to mount an aux. batt. or jerry can?, just gathering dust now.

Edited by Aircruiser 12/2/2014 12:41 PM

(naked.jpg)

(template.jpg)

(drill.jpg)

(angleal.jpg)

(cf tray.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments naked.jpg (96KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments template.jpg (46KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments drill.jpg (82KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments angleal.jpg (96KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments cf tray.jpg (118KB - 1 downloads)
#225516 - in reply to #225515
Author
Posted 12/2/2014 3:01 PM
WEBIII
Extreme Veteran

Aircruiser - 12/2/2014 10:42 AM

The threaded jumpseat mounting points will be there and would be a good solution for mounting your boxes. I made a butcher paper template of the hole locations if you want it. If you want to remove the interior panels and mark the hole locations on the back side of said pannels, using a pencil with eraser dabed in paint, shortend and stuck in threaded mount points. I used a step drill and a punch for final hole alignment. I have pictures of the process if you would like.

Those ground cables like to corrode between the battery negative/body mount and from below the body/frame. A little chemical and mechanical cleaning followed by some spray protectant has worked wonders for me in that area.

EDIT: added pictures, the last one is a unused project that may work for you, it is designed to be a level surface to mount an aux. batt. or jerry can?, just gathering dust now.

Thank you for the excellent pictures! Was this work that you did for your fridge installation?

I would definitely like to borrow that template. If you'll pm me your address, I'll mail you a large stamped envelope to send it in.

Thanks for the offer on the platform but I don't think I can use it because the bottom of my speaker box is contoured to fit the curvature of the wheel well.

Thanks to you and H1LM002G55 for the advice!
#225523 - in reply to #225516
Author
Posted 12/2/2014 5:15 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle(s): 500 GE, G55, LM002, H1

I would also use a Neutrik Speakon plug for quick connect/disconnect of the speaker enclosure...
#225524 - in reply to #225509
Author
Posted 12/2/2014 6:30 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Need advice for creative speaker box installation

The alternative to a template is to thread some screws into the holes and re-install the panel.  A quick whack with a mallet will produce perfectly aligned marks on the panel. Remove and drill.
#225526 - in reply to #225509
Author
Posted 12/2/2014 10:30 PM
Aircruiser
Extreme Veteran

WEBIII - 12/2/2014 3:01 PM

Aircruiser - 12/2/2014 10:42 AM

Thank you for the excellent pictures! Was this work that you did for your fridge installation?

I would definitely like to borrow that template. If you'll pm me your address, I'll mail you a large stamped envelope to send it in.

Thanks for the offer on the platform but I don't think I can use it because the bottom of my speaker box is contoured to fit the curvature of the wheel well.

Thanks to you and H1LM002G55 for the advice!

No worries, I'll just send it to you. I will send you a pm.

It is reversible so you could drill each side if you want to. The alignment markings are set for the curve apexes of the interior pannel. You would have to share the same faith that I had when I started drilling my pilot holes, "poke and pray". It did work quite well. If your not feeling confident, Alan's method or the pencil method will work.
#225536 - in reply to #225523
Author
Posted 12/2/2014 11:18 PM
Boy G
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): Diesel G's: 617A and 602

Sorry to hi jack a bit, do one of you have a handy picture of the cover of the battery box please? Looks like a good possible mod for a 460 hidey hole.
#225538 - in reply to #225509
Author
Posted 12/3/2014 11:09 AM
WEBIII
Extreme Veteran

Aircruiser - 12/2/2014 9:30 PM

No worries, I'll just send it to you. I will send you a pm.

It is reversible so you could drill each side if you want to. The alignment markings are set for the curve apexes of the interior pannel. You would have to share the same faith that I had when I started drilling my pilot holes, "poke and pray". It did work quite well. If your not feeling confident, Alan's method or the pencil method will work.

Thanks Matt. I guess since the weekend is fast approaching I'll give Alan's suggestion a try first. If for whatever reason that fails I'll get you to send the template.
#225543 - in reply to #225536
Author
Posted 12/3/2014 11:10 AM
WEBIII
Extreme Veteran

H1LM002G55 - 12/2/2014 4:15 PM

I would also use a Neutrik Speakon plug for quick connect/disconnect of the speaker enclosure...

Thanks for the suggestion. I was not aware of these cable ends. The current setup just has blade terminals.
#225544 - in reply to #225524
Author
Posted 12/3/2014 11:16 AM
WEBIII
Extreme Veteran

Boy G - 12/2/2014 10:18 PM

Sorry to hi jack a bit, do one of you have a handy picture of the cover of the battery box please? Looks like a good possible mod for a 460 hidey hole.

I can take a picture this weekend. If you look at the cloth cover that is over the battery compartment in aircruiser's 4th photo, then just imagine that the metal cover beneath the cloth looks the same (same shape) and is a bit pliable for squeezing it into position. At the bottom is a clasp for securing it.

I'm not sure this would work on a 460 though. Wouldn't you need the 463 fender liner? Maybe I can get a photo comparison of my 460 and 463 for you.

Edited by WEBIII 12/3/2014 11:18 AM
#225545 - in reply to #225538
Author
Posted 12/3/2014 9:23 PM
greynolds

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle(s): 2017 G63 (Obsidian Black / Titanium Grey Pearl)

Aircruiser - 12/2/2014 11:42 AM

Thanks for posting this info with pictures. Some questions for you:

1) Do you happen to know if a 2014 G550 should still have the threaded holes behind the panel?

2) How hard is it to remove the interior panels - as in are they interlocked with other panels like on a lot of vehicles or are these nice and easy to (carefully) pull off?

3) Is the height of the L channel you attached to the lower threaded holes the right height so that a plywood shelf makes for a level (or at least pretty close to level) platform with the rear seats folded forward? If so, that would be a great solution for when I finally get around to a more permanent solution for my shelf which currently just sits on the wheel wells.

4) Where did you get that L channel you used and what size is it?
#225552 - in reply to #225516
Author
Posted 12/4/2014 3:16 PM
Aircruiser
Extreme Veteran

greynolds - 12/3/2014 9:23 PM

Aircruiser - 12/2/2014 11:42 AM

Thanks for posting this info with pictures. Some questions for you:

1) Do you happen to know if a 2014 G550 should still have the threaded holes behind the panel?

2) How hard is it to remove the interior panels - as in are they interlocked with other panels like on a lot of vehicles or are these nice and easy to (carefully) pull off?

3) Is the height of the L channel you attached to the lower threaded holes the right height so that a plywood shelf makes for a level (or at least pretty close to level) platform with the rear seats folded forward? If so, that would be a great solution for when I finally get around to a more permanent solution for my shelf which currently just sits on the wheel wells.

4) Where did you get that L channel you used and what size is it?

Here you go.

1) I am not sure. My guess is that they will be there.

2) The panel removal is straight forward. You will have to remove the rear seat belt upper anchor point, the trim piece around the rear door, the panel is held on with a few plastic anchors.

3) The aluminum angle was from Lowes, you can find it at any hardware store, and it is the correct hight for a level sleeping platform made from 1/2, 3/4" plywood or other materials.

Here are a few pictures of a mock up for a carbon/kevlar composite shelf. If you do decide to go this route, the single piece shelf is rather a tight fit getting it in through the second row doors. Millimeters count.

Karl sells an nicely designed shelf on his website.

Edited by Aircruiser 12/4/2014 4:01 PM

(fullshelf.jpg)

(shelf.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fullshelf.jpg (91KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments shelf.jpg (52KB - 0 downloads)
#225560 - in reply to #225552
Author
Posted 12/4/2014 9:10 PM
greynolds

Aircruiser - 12/4/2014 3:16 PM
Here you go.

2) The panel removal is straight forward. You will have to remove the rear seat belt upper anchor point, the trim piece around the rear door, the panel is held on with a few plastic anchors.

Thanks - sounds like it's easier than on a lot of vehicles. I needed to take a bunch of interlocked panels off on my 1995 Land Rover Discovery at one point to get at something and something similar on a Toyota Highlander and lived to tell about it in both cases :D. So based on your description, this should be fairly easy.

3) The aluminum angle was from Lowes, you can find it at any hardware store, and it is the correct hight for a level sleeping platform made from 1/2, 3/4" plywood or other materials.

Thanks - knowing that the height works out well, I think this is the way I'll go.

Here are a few pictures of a mock up for a carbon/kevlar composite shelf. If you do decide to go this route, the single piece shelf is rather a tight fit getting it in through the second row doors. Millimeters count.

Yeah, I've got a piece of plywood covered in fabric that just sits on the wheel wells for now and it's a bit of an adventure navigating it in and out. But that's not really a big deal as the goal is to leave it in there pretty much all the time. I'm hoping to tackle this project over the winter.

Thanks for the response.
#225566 - in reply to #225560
Author
Posted 4/27/2015 10:00 AM
greynolds

greynolds - 12/3/2014 9:23 PM

Here you go.

1) I am not sure. My guess is that they will be there.

1) In case any one else is looking to do this with a late model G550, the holes are still behind the panels (I only took the driver side panel off, but would assume the passenger side is the same). However, they're just holes - there aren't any nuts behind them or threads in the holes. So one would have to either weld a nut on behind the holes, or install a rivnut or similar into each hole. I haven't had great luck with rivnuts in the past, so I'm hesitant to go that route and welding doesn't seem like a good idea in that space (nor do I have the skills or tools anyway). Would something like JB Weld work for this? Perhaps with a nut welded to a fender washer and then JB Weld the fender washer to the back of the panel behind the hole? If anybody has any good ideas on how to get a nut installed that will hold nice and tight, I'm all ears. In case anyone is wondering, the panel is too thin to just thread the hole.

2) Panel removal isn't too bad, it's just tight especially where the side window seal surrounds it. It was a bit of an adventure getting the window seal back around the panel when I put the panel back, but not difficult. At least on the 2014 G550, the plastic anchors actually have heavy duty velcro that separates when you pry the panel off.

Edited by greynolds 4/27/2015 12:04 PM
#227844 - in reply to #225560
Author
Posted 4/28/2015 6:33 PM
greynolds

greynolds - 4/27/2015 10:00 AM
1) In case any one else is looking to do this with a late model G550, the holes are still behind the panels (I only took the driver side panel off, but would assume the passenger side is the same). However, they're just holes - there aren't any nuts behind them or threads in the holes. So one would have to either weld a nut on behind the holes, or install a rivnut or similar into each hole. I haven't had great luck with rivnuts in the past, so I'm hesitant to go that route and welding doesn't seem like a good idea in that space (nor do I have the skills or tools anyway). Would something like JB Weld work for this? Perhaps with a nut welded to a fender washer and then JB Weld the fender washer to the back of the panel behind the hole? If anybody has any good ideas on how to get a nut installed that will hold nice and tight, I'm all ears. In case anyone is wondering, the panel is too thin to just thread the hole.

In case aircruiser is still following this thread, I wonder if there might be enough room behind the panel for a nut to fit between the panel and the steel wall with the holes. If so, I could presumably pass the bolts through the steel wall from the inside, hold them in place with a nut, reinstall the panel, and then mount the L channel over the bolt and use another nut (and washer) on the outside to hold it in place. If I use a bolt that's just long enough, I could use a cap nut to neatly cover the threads if I ever remove the L channel.
#227856 - in reply to #227844
Author
Posted 4/29/2015 1:25 PM
Aircruiser
Extreme Veteran

greynolds - 4/28/2015 6:33 PM

greynolds - 4/27/2015 10:00 AM

In case aircruiser is still following this thread, I wonder if there might be enough room behind the panel for a nut to fit between the panel and the steel wall with the holes. If so, I could presumably pass the bolts through the steel wall from the inside, hold them in place with a nut, reinstall the panel, and then mount the L channel over the bolt and use another nut (and washer) on the outside to hold it in place. If I use a bolt that's just long enough, I could use a cap nut to neatly cover the threads if I ever remove the L channel.

I am still kicking around here. I think your above solution would work fine. There is plenty of room in the cavity to bring a bolt in through the back side. I would use the lowest profile nut available to hold it in place. The interior panel has some flex too.
#227863 - in reply to #227856
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1