Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : MB Roadside Assistance - End Of Free Battery Changes

Page 1 of 2 12
MB Roadside Assistance - End Of Free Battery Changes
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/16/2014 11:50 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle(s): 500 GE, G55, LM002, H1
MB Roadside Assistance - End Of Free Battery Changes

In years past, Mercedes Roadside Assistance would offer a battery change service that was truly excellent. Pay for the battery and they would install it free of charge.
This is no longer the case. The local dealers that MB Roadside Assistance New Jersey (Corporate) uses to fulfill the Roadside Assistance requirements are now charging for the labor to change batteries. Even worse, dealers are now using this to earn handsome returns and there is no transparency.
There is no formula in place for calculating labor charges for the battery exchange service. It is at the discretion of the local dealer as to what you will pay. If you call MB Roadside Assistance, they will call the roadside service techs at the local dealer and will arrange to dispatch them to your location. I recently requested this service. When the Roadside tech from the local dealer called me prior to arriving he politely informed me of the labor cost that was now being charged. I agreed and said no problem. The verbal quote for battery and labor was different from the amount he requested when he showed up in person at my residence. I declined service as a result. As a courtesy, MB Roadside Assistance in NJ ended up calling me back a half hour later and I mentioned this to them. They were embarrassed. I asked MB Roadside Assistance NJ to call another local dealer to ask if their fees were similar to 1) supply a battery and 2) install it. The roadside service rep in NJ called on my behalf to another local dealer. The local dealer quoted the MB NJ roadside service rep the retail price of the battery and said that installation was included. When the rep in NJ called me back, I asked for him to schedule the battery change service with this dealer...and to pin him down on the price so that it would be firm and fixed, inclusive of part (battery) and labor (switching out battery). The roadside service rep in NJ then called me back and informed me that when he pressed the roadside service tech at the second local dealer they wanted to bill an extra $300 USD in labor and fees despite their original quote (provided to MB NJ) of only the retail cost of the battery.

I am not sure if this is a case of roadside service techs at local dealers wanting to make some extra holiday $ or the local dealers using the Roadside Service program to their benefit for a "bait and switch" of a (usually) stranded motorist.

I want you all to be aware of this.

I pointed out that there was no transparency in pricing to MB NJ Roadside Assistance. I had a great service rep and they were upset at this scenario as it puts MB NJ in the unenviable position of being "monkey in the middle" between the customer and dealer with little recourse and no ability to determine if the price is fair or fixed.

Edited by H1LM002G55 12/16/2014 12:04 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/16/2014 10:57 PM
superG

Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle(s): LX 570, SQ5
Re: MB Roadside Assistance - End Of Free Battery Changes

Are there any reset/syncing procedures (windows, sunroof etc) required for changing the battery? Current battery is 7+ years old so time to change it out. I plan to do this myself unless there's some special steps to take (didn't see anything in manual).

Edited by superG 12/16/2014 10:58 PM
#225744 - in reply to #225742
Author
Posted 12/17/2014 9:15 AM
djdinaz
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 03 G55

I've had mine disconnected for days at a time. The only item needing syncing was ETS-related and required turning the wheel from lock to lock to clear the dash light.

Looks like the rules have changed on MB roadside assistance: http://www.mercedesroadside.com/roadside-assistance/side-nav/eligib...

From that page: If your vehicle was not purchased directly from an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership prior to January 4, 2011 the complimentary service is not available.

If on the other hand, the vehicle was purchased directly from an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership prior to January 4, 2011 and you still own the vehicle or the vehicle is still under the factory warranty, the roadside service is supposed to be complimentary.
#225746 - in reply to #225742
Author
Posted 12/17/2014 9:35 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Changing the Battery

superG - 12/16/2014 10:57 PM

Are there any reset/syncing procedures (windows, sunroof etc) required for changing the battery? Current battery is 7+ years old so time to change it out. I plan to do this myself unless there's some special steps to take (didn't see anything in manual).

Here you go. Not sure if all are required, but it's better to have too much info than not enough.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Remove_install battery.pdf (131KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments Connect STAR DIAGNOSIS and read out fault memory.pdf (318KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments Perform basic programming.pdf (29KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments Synchronize power windows.pdf (16KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments Activate steering angle sensor.pdf (18KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments Normalizing the seats.pdf (15KB - 9 downloads)
#225747 - in reply to #225744
Author
Posted 12/17/2014 10:10 AM
superG

Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle(s): LX 570, SQ5

Is it possible to connect another battery via the hood terminals to allow for continuous power while the main battery is swapped out? I have a second battery in the rear that's used for powering a National Luna fridge so if possible, I may go that route. If potential for electrical issues exist, than will go with syncing method.
#225748 - in reply to #225742
Author
Posted 12/17/2014 10:34 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

A prior roadside service tech who visited me in the past gave me his cell number and told me to call him if I ever needed anything.

I tried to do the right thing and go through the normal channels. If the original quoted price via roadside service would have been charged to me inclusive of labor costs I would have happily paid it. When the games started with no firm pricing I politely declined and called my "ace-in-the-hole"...He came out and performed the procedure with excellent attention to detail for $100 USD Cash.

#225750 - in reply to #225742
Author
Posted 12/17/2014 11:36 AM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

H1LM002G55 - 12/17/2014 8:34 AM

A prior roadside service tech who visited me in the past gave me his cell number and told me to call him if I ever needed anything.

I tried to do the right thing and go through the normal channels. If the original quoted price via roadside service would have been charged to me inclusive of labor costs I would have happily paid it. When the games started with no firm pricing I politely declined and called my "ace-in-the-hole"...He came out and performed the procedure with excellent attention to detail for $100 USD Cash.

You paid $100 for someone to replace a battery? Man I wish I was your neighbor, that is righteous money for 10 minutes of work!

I do fail to understand why a dealer could not quote an accurate price for the service, that IS fishy.

MBUSA's policy change doesn't surprise me. Everybody wants something for free today. It used to be you could charge enough up front to cover such maladies down the road. Today, dealers get beat right down on pricing making it bad business to provide "free" anything. The times, they are a changin'. Greed on both sides has made what used to be pleasant and simple into a game where everybody is fearful of getting ripped off. You ended up paying a hefty price but it was worth it for the piece of mind that it was done correctly. I wish more people understood that paying a fair price for quality work IS worth it, always has been. When something is "free", you had better have that level of quality in mind too because you will almost certainly get service worthy of the price.
#225751 - in reply to #225750
Author
Posted 12/17/2014 2:21 PM
G-AMG
G-Class DIY Host

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '04 G55, '80 280GE, '99 S420, '98 E320, 2011 E350

This type of set-up has helped me, in the past, with a quick battery change WITHOUT the need to re-program everything:

http://www.amazon.com/12V-Automotive-Settings-Keeper-Battery/sim/B0...

I know most think this is "Over-Maintaining", but I like to do Routing Battery Testing/Maintenance, to detect a dying battery *BEFORE* it leaves you stranded, and the subsequent need for Roadside assistance.

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=18953&po...

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=17990&po...

Edited by G-AMG 12/17/2014 2:27 PM
#225752 - in reply to #225742
Author
Posted 12/17/2014 3:50 PM
ace10
Regular

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle(s): '13 G550 and other stuff

H1LM002G55 - 12/17/2014 10:34 AM A prior roadside service tech who visited me in the past gave me his cell number and told me to call him if I ever needed anything. I tried to do the right thing and go through the normal channels. If the original quoted price via roadside service would have been charged to me inclusive of labor costs I would have happily paid it. When the games started with no firm pricing I politely declined and called my "ace-in-the-hole"...He came out and performed the procedure with excellent attention to detail for $100 USD Cash.

Did the 1-800 people ask (or check) to verify that you were servicing the vehicle at a dealer?  The roadside assistance is supposed to be contingent upon using the dealer network for maintenance and repairs (for a certain amount of money over a given period).

In our old E320cdi, we used the service two times (each battery was replaced one time). It worked out to be significantly cheaper than using "in patient" service at the dealer. Those were some spendy batteries, too.

#225753 - in reply to #225750
Author
Posted 12/17/2014 5:31 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

ace10 - 12/17/2014 3:50 PM

H1LM002G55 - 12/17/2014 10:34 AM A prior roadside service tech who visited me in the past gave me his cell number and told me to call him if I ever needed anything. I tried to do the right thing and go through the normal channels. If the original quoted price via roadside service would have been charged to me inclusive of labor costs I would have happily paid it. When the games started with no firm pricing I politely declined and called my "ace-in-the-hole"...He came out and performed the procedure with excellent attention to detail for $100 USD Cash.

Did the 1-800 people ask (or check) to verify that you were servicing the vehicle at a dealer?  The roadside assistance is supposed to be contingent upon using the dealer network for maintenance and repairs (for a certain amount of money over a given period).

In our old E320cdi, we used the service two times (each battery was replaced one time). It worked out to be significantly cheaper than using "in patient" service at the dealer. Those were some spendy batteries, too.

They asked no questions like this although I did provide information that the vehicle was purchased new from the dealer.
I do use the dealer for all service when under warranty.
When out of warranty, I typically use one or two indy mechanics but I still take the vehicles in for service checks, alignment, and tire rotation and balancing. There are some repairs that I still elect to have the dealer perform as well.

I like my local dealer and I am a good client.
#225754 - in reply to #225753
Author
Posted 12/18/2014 12:04 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Brent - 12/17/2014 11:36 AM

H1LM002G55 - 12/17/2014 8:34 AM

You paid $100 for someone to replace a battery? Man I wish I was your neighbor, that is righteous money for 10 minutes of work!

I do fail to understand why a dealer could not quote an accurate price for the service, that IS fishy.

MBUSA's policy change doesn't surprise me. Everybody wants something for free today. It used to be you could charge enough up front to cover such maladies down the road. Today, dealers get beat right down on pricing making it bad business to provide "free" anything. The times, they are a changin'. Greed on both sides has made what used to be pleasant and simple into a game where everybody is fearful of getting ripped off. You ended up paying a hefty price but it was worth it for the piece of mind that it was done correctly. I wish more people understood that paying a fair price for quality work IS worth it, always has been. When something is "free", you had better have that level of quality in mind too because you will almost certainly get service worthy of the price.

Keep in mind, he came by after work on the weekend at around 6 PM, had to drive his personal vehicle over, gas costs, etc...He did a great job and brought his own tools although I offered mine up to him.

The last time I had seen him was about 2 years prior and he was a roadside service tech. Now, he is a full-blown mechanic working in the bays at the dealership. My local dealer has them apprentice as roadside service techs before they get elevated to "shop technician" status.

#225758 - in reply to #225751
Author
Posted 12/18/2014 10:53 AM
BlueG
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500

I would recommend buying a battery at the part store (or MB dealer if that is your preference) and learning to replace it yourself. On the G its extra easy and a good thing to know how to do down the road. Certainly a friend or someone at the part store can show you how its done. Not every part store will have the battery but most do (lots of vehicles using the batteries that need to vent outside I guess).
#225762 - in reply to #225742
Author
Posted 12/18/2014 11:22 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

I know how to change a battery. I did not know how to do the other ancillary items that Dutch so kindly provided PDFs for in this thread. I buy my batteries from the MB Dealer.
#225763 - in reply to #225742
Author
Posted 12/19/2014 3:57 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

I guess this thread was timely, based upon the number of downloads that have occurred...Thank you, Dutch!

Brent: I have to agree with you. A friend recently asked me about buying a GL63 AMG. I gave him my "past" advice...Buy a MB CPO and do not buy a new one.

Has anyone noticed that the CPO warranty is now ONE YEAR???????????

If you go to the parts counter, be sure to ask about the reliability of major components like transmissions and transfer cases on current E,s Ss, MLs, GLs, and luxury class models. Also be sure to ask about the replacement cost for those items. It is as if MB wants to create a new revenue stream by further hindering the DIY-er and creating poor life-cycles for critical components!
#225779 - in reply to #225742
Author
Posted 12/19/2014 5:32 PM
ace10
Regular

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle(s): '13 G550 and other stuff

CPO makes sense if you're gonna drive the wheels off it in very short order. Yes, they extend the time only one year, but it's unlimited miles. And the buyer may purchase up to two additional years beyond that. Seven years, unlimited miles.

A couple of months ago, MBUSA doubled the prices on the ELW program. Talk about a shock to the system. I purchase a 7/100 Mercedes ELW for my then-new 2014 E63S last year. The cost was a very reasonable ~$3K. Now others are being quoted $6K ++ for the same product. Ouch.

#225780 - in reply to #225754
Author
Posted 12/19/2014 6:07 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Aside from CDL Truckers, I know of no one that drives more than 12,000 miles per year these days that lives Stateside in the U.S.
#225783 - in reply to #225742
Author
Posted 12/19/2014 6:20 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

H1LM002G55 - 12/19/2014 6:07 PM

Aside from CDL Truckers, I know of no one that drives more than 12,000 miles per year these days that lives Stateside in the U.S.

My ML was delivered in March 2014 and has 20,000 miles on it.
#225784 - in reply to #225783
Author
Posted 12/19/2014 6:27 PM
WEBIII
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle(s): 461.318, 463.241

H1LM002G55 - 12/19/2014 5:07 PM

I barely reach 5k miles per year but I'm sure most who live in the surburban part of a top 50 metro area can break 12k with ease. I recently spoke with someone who averages 30k per year but he drives across the southeast for work.

I'm curious if the GLK class drivetrain is afflicted with the same propensity for early failure. My wife wants one and purchasing one may be the only way I can reclaim my G500.
#225785 - in reply to #225783
Author
Posted 12/19/2014 6:28 PM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

H1LM002G55 - 12/19/2014 4:07 PM

PFFFFT....

My '13 GTI has been in service 15 months and has over 45,000 miles on it.

I can not remember a year when I did not put on at least 30k miles.
#225786 - in reply to #225783
Author
Posted 12/19/2014 6:31 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL

H1LM002G55 - 12/19/2014 3:07 PM Aside from CDL Truckers, I know of no one that drives more than 12,000 miles per year these days that lives Stateside in the U.S.

>12K miles a year on the G, basically all pleasure.  I commute by bicycle.

#225787 - in reply to #225783
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12