Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : CarPlay,rear camera, digital AC control and custom iPhone dock installed

Page 1 of 2 12
CarPlay,rear camera, digital AC control and custom iPhone dock installed
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/1/2015 9:50 PM
g-wagging

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle(s): 2005 G500

CarPlay,rear camera, digital AC control and custom iPhone dock installed

Happy New Year G folks

I just had a few things installed in my G500 to make it ready for 2015. I wanted to have CarPlay and the Appradio4 looks the cleanest without unnecessary details. CarPlay works well and I am pretty happy with the features and the sound quality. Siri voice command is a hit or miss but it is light years ahead of the factory command navigation.

I also installed a Sony CCD rear camera is ok in the day but pretty grainy in the dark. It was rated to be a pretty good camera so I was expecting a better image. I had to fabricate a tab and spacers to keep the camera in place within the housing.

The next upgrade is an upgraded digital A/C control from a C class. My A/C had some issues and my indie shop said it was the controller so I bought his one to replace mine. A seller on eBay modifies these to work in Gs. It looks right at home I there and works as planned.

The last upgrade is a custom made dock for my wife and my iphone 6 pluses. I had some ABS blocks in my shop so I just fabricated it to fit into the little coin tray.

Edited by g-wagging 1/1/2015 10:01 PM

(securing the camera.jpg)

(G500 carplay.jpg)

(G500 carplay 2.jpg)

(G500 dash upgrades.jpg)

(G500 appradio background.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments securing the camera.jpg (241KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments G500 carplay.jpg (251KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments G500 carplay 2.jpg (85KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments G500 dash upgrades.jpg (245KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments G500 appradio background.jpg (127KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/1/2015 9:56 PM
safariguy

Date registered: Oct 2014
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500

Re: CarPlay,rear camera, digital AC control and custom iPhone dock installed

How do you control the volume on the Appradio4? I didn't see any buttons on the Pioneer product page....
#225946 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/1/2015 10:03 PM
g-wagging

the volume is operated by the plus and minus on the top left corner of the unit and also on my steering wheel control.
#225947 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/2/2015 5:22 AM
thebigblue

RE: CarPlay,rear camera, digital AC control and custom iPhone dock installed

Looks neat and clean - which interface did you use for the steering-wheel control?
#225951 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/2/2015 9:56 AM
MudMonkey
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle(s): '03 G500

g-wagging - 1/1/2015 9:50 PM

Happy New Year G folks

I just had a few things installed in my G500 to make it ready for 2015. I wanted to have CarPlay and the Appradio4 looks the cleanest without unnecessary details. CarPlay works well and I am pretty happy with the features and the sound quality. Siri voice command is a hit or miss but it is light years ahead of the factory command navigation.

I also installed a Sony CCD rear camera is ok in the day but pretty grainy in the dark. It was rated to be a pretty good camera so I was expecting a better image. I had to fabricate a tab and spacers to keep the camera in place within the housing.

The next upgrade is an upgraded digital A/C control from a C class. My A/C had some issues and my indie shop said it was the controller so I bought his one to replace mine. A seller on eBay modifies these to work in Gs. It looks right at home I there and works as planned.

The last upgrade is a custom made dock for my wife and my iphone 6 pluses. I had some ABS blocks in my shop so I just fabricated it to fit into the little coin tray.

Very nice. Well done.

What is the model on that head unit? Did you have new wiring done, or does it plug 'n' play with the factory setup?

I would love to replace my head unit only, so that I have a modern one with HD radio, Satellite radio, Ipod hookup, etc. Ancient GPS isn't helping me in the '03, either.
#225953 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/2/2015 10:10 AM
g-wagging

Thanks. I forgot to show the USB and the HDMI extention cables routed to the center console top tray. I can use those connections for a chromecast, Apple TV or just hooking up my iPhone to the appradio live mode. It's pretty lame that the Lightning cable cannot interface with the live mode.

I used the Metra ASWC-1. I did not know about the PAC SwI-CP5 until after I bought the Metra. The PAC has iphone and android programming interfaces which is cool. The interface now gives me volume control and hang up phone control. The pick up phone is controlling input source now. I might need to change that to phone pick up instead.
#225954 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/2/2015 10:27 AM
g-wagging

MM,
The Pioneer is the Appradio4. The other model I was thinking about was the NEX8000 which has Navigation built in. The AR4 uses the iPhone to run the Nav. The cleaner look of this head unit win me over. If you are an android user you might consider the NEX series instead. I am an Apple junkie so CarPlay works well for my needs. A few car companies like Mercedes, Volvo and Ferarri have CarPlay in their 2015 lineup.

Regarding the wiring, I bought a Metra wiring interface, an antenna adapter, two USB male to female extension cables, an HDMI male to female extension and a USB iPhone cable. Some of the veterans in this site posted installing their Pioneers and helped me out planning the cable connections.

The old command unit was very combersome to use. It took me way too long to input addresses for navigation. CarPlay uses Siri which is voice command. I just speak the address, name of a contact or name of a business to make a call or for navigation guidance. You can add XM or Sirius by buying a module. The over the air radio works well for me here in Los Angeles. The sound quality is so much better than the old radio.
#225955 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/2/2015 2:08 PM
94rover
Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle(s): 02 G500

g-wagging, thanks for sharing. I am currently shopping for rear view cameras to mount in the oem housing. I'm especially interested in seeing more pics of your camera mount/install if you have more available.
#225959 - in reply to #225955
Author
Posted 1/2/2015 2:27 PM
LucaB

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle(s): G 400 cdi

very nice, specially the radio looks really clean
#225961 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/2/2015 9:46 PM
MudMonkey
Veteran

g-wagging - 1/2/2015 10:27 AM

MM,
The Pioneer is the Appradio4. The other model I was thinking about was the NEX8000 which has Navigation built in. The AR4 uses the iPhone to run the Nav. The cleaner look of this head unit win me over. If you are an android user you might consider the NEX series instead. I am an Apple junkie so CarPlay works well for my needs. A few car companies like Mercedes, Volvo and Ferarri have CarPlay in their 2015 lineup.

Regarding the wiring, I bought a Metra wiring interface, an antenna adapter, two USB male to female extension cables, an HDMI male to female extension and a USB iPhone cable. Some of the veterans in this site posted installing their Pioneers and helped me out planning the cable connections.

The old command unit was very combersome to use. It took me way too long to input addresses for navigation. CarPlay uses Siri which is voice command. I just speak the address, name of a contact or name of a business to make a call or for navigation guidance. You can add XM or Sirius by buying a module. The over the air radio works well for me here in Los Angeles. The sound quality is so much better than the old radio.

Thank you.

Any chance you could post the part numbers for the items that you bought?
#225970 - in reply to #225955
Author
Posted 1/2/2015 10:00 PM
g-wagging

94rover,

Here are some more pics.  I made a tab that is attached to the metal frame that sony provided with the camera.  Then I made shims to center the camera.  I left out the bottom block and just used the side shims along with some epoxy.  The tightly wedged camera with the tab and epoxy should be bombproof.  The tricky part is getting the lens to be perfectly centered in the hole.  

(sony camera and tab.jpg)

(aligning the camera.jpg)

(shims to center the cam.jpg)

(painting housing.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sony camera and tab.jpg (211KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments aligning the camera.jpg (187KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments shims to center the cam.jpg (567KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments painting housing.jpg (85KB - 0 downloads)
#225971 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/2/2015 10:15 PM
g-wagging

Thanks Luca. My wife and I have been enjoying the system for the past couple of days.

I put all of the items into my Amazon wishlist. Let me know if you can see all the items. If not, I post links individually.  If you guys are interested, I can shoot a video of Carplay in action. Its pretty sweet.

http://amzn.com/w/J7YZF4EL0V0D

Edited by g-wagging 1/2/2015 11:24 PM
#225972 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/3/2015 12:27 AM
NHDave
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle(s): 2004 AMG

That's a clean looking integration, looks factory, nice job!
How difficult was it to pull the wire for the camera, where did you mount it?
Did your 2005 come with Tele-Aid cell, if so, did you remove it?
Any STAR enabling needed.
Lastly, a new AC control unit?
#225973 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/3/2015 1:13 PM
g-wagging

NHDave, Thanks for the compliments. I had the system installed when my headliner was redone. I think the shop ran the camera wires along the edge of the roof right next to factory wires. The camera is mounted with the Gwagon housing right above the rear wiper. I wanted to have as close to a factory install as possible. I did not remove the teleaid. My display now shows two dashed when NAVI or release screens are chosen. I need to ask my Mercedes dealer or Indy shop to turn off those prompts. Regarding the AC unit, I found an ebay seller that modified AC units made for C class cars. It is one generation newer with the digital display. I was told my AC control was the cause of my erratic AC operation so I bought this to remedy the issues. I ended up having the dealer work on my AC and they changed out everything and didn't fix it until they changed the compressor.
#225977 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/3/2015 8:25 PM
NHDave
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle(s): 2004 AMG

g-wagging - 1/3/2015 1:13 PM NHDave, Thanks for the compliments. I had the system installed when my headliner was redone. I think the shop ran the camera wires along the edge of the roof right next to factory wires. The camera is mounted with the Gwagon housing right above the rear wiper. I wanted to have as close to a factory install as possible. I did not remove the teleaid. My display now shows two dashed when NAVI or release screens are chosen. I need to ask my Mercedes dealer or Indy shop to turn off those prompts. Regarding the AC unit, I found an ebay seller that modified AC units made for C class cars. It is one generation newer with the digital display. I was told my AC control was the cause of my erratic AC operation so I bought this to remedy the issues. I ended up having the dealer work on my AC and they changed out everything and didn't fix it until they changed the compressor.

Thank you

Being an Apple junkie, I would love to have an interface I already know!

Can I ask you for a cable and parts list?

#225988 - in reply to #225977
Author
Posted 1/3/2015 9:21 PM
g-wagging

Dave,
I put together a list on Amazon. Check it out here.

http://amzn.com/w/J7YZF4EL0V0D
#225990 - in reply to #225988
Author
Posted 1/4/2015 9:26 PM
g-wagging

This is what the installed camera housing looks like.

(rear cam installed.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rear cam installed.jpg (82KB - 1 downloads)
#226013 - in reply to #225973
Author
Posted 1/5/2015 4:30 AM
thebigblue

Maybe I´m missing something here, - but would the wire not have to go trough the original flexible tube in the lower left side part of the back-door, - passing from body-panel to rear-door? Making it silly to pass the wire above the headliner... ? I have been installing several wires behind the interior side-panel (LH-side) without dismantling the panel.

Edited by thebigblue 1/5/2015 4:18 PM
#226014 - in reply to #225945
Author
Posted 1/5/2015 1:07 PM
g-wagging

I would have to ask my installer about that. I will see him soon.
#226021 - in reply to #226014
Author
Posted 1/5/2015 1:45 PM
MudMonkey
Veteran

Thanks for the parts list!

Was any cutting of the factory wiring required? I would much prefer a plug 'n' play setup that is reversible.

#226024 - in reply to #225945
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12