Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 3rd row seating installed

Page 1 of 1 1
3rd row seating installed
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/26/2015 7:36 PM
po-porsche
Regular

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle(s): 2003 Mercedes G500, 1984 Porsche 911
3rd row seating installed

On and off for the past twelve months I have been researching a possible third row option for my 2003 G500. The G was plenty big when we only had the two kids. But with number three on the way, we felt we needed a little more room. It wasn't that the baby seat wouldn't fit inbetween the boys. Because, based on my approximations, I think it would. Rather, we were more concerned that there would be no way for my wife to sit next to the baby since neither my 6 year old, nor my 4 year old would be sitting in the front any time soon. And, since we live in NYC we spend a lot of time in the car stuck in traffic. So, the ability to sit next to the baby is critical (for feeding, changing, etc.).

Initially, I got a little creative in my search. At one point I thought about doing a serious modification and putting the 3rd row from an ML into it. But, that seemed like too much of a headache to try to figure out. Then, I considered what I thought would be an easier mod and hacking in some Land Rover jump seats (just because they are cheap). But, I soon came to the realization that that too would also be a huge headache. Then I found a used pair of factory option jump seats at a great price. However, I was most concerned with the safety since my intention for a 3rd row wasn't for occasional usage. But, rather, I intended to use them for every day seating for my boys. So, I focused on seating that were fixed and that would work with shoulder belts.

After trying to find alternatives, I ended up settling on the Little Passenger third row seat. I primarily choose this option because it seemed it would be easy. They had a kit designed to fit the W463 G. They built it to order. And, they include shoulder belts. Also, there were a few other forum members who had (seemed) to recommend them in the past whenever the 3rd row discussion popped up. I now have the Little Passenger seat installed, and I now wanted to share the pics for other who are interested. I went with a mini-van like setup. I removed the “1” rear seat from the “1/2 split" 3 seater rear bench. And, I installed the Little Passenger seat forward facing. This enables the kids to enter through the right rear door and move to the back.

I did not find the installation to be as easy as they claim. So, I ended up bringing my vehicle to a specialty shop that does luxury vehicle interior customizations. They first tried the installation according to the instructions. But, (they claimed) that after a couple of hours on the phone they found the floor in the trunk was not as described in the directions, and so the supplied hardware didn’t work. This (they claimed) was a result of different model years – mine vs the truck LP used. I don’t know if this is true or not. But, they ended up cutting the carpet and welding in plates to bolt into. This installation wasn’t cheap. But, the seats are now very securely installed. I figure when I eventually remove this seat, when the kids are older, I’ll just throw a trunk liner in there…

So, finally, here are the pics you were really here to see:

Edited by po-porsche 1/26/2015 9:49 PM

(IMG_5209.JPG)

(IMG_5211.JPG)

(IMG_5210.JPG)

(IMG_5212.JPG)

(IMG_5213.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_5209.JPG (107KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments IMG_5211.JPG (140KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments IMG_5210.JPG (108KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments IMG_5212.JPG (128KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments IMG_5213.JPG (154KB - 4 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/27/2015 3:18 AM
4x4Cal
Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle(s): a Desert Silver & a Brilliant Silver G500
RE: 3rd row seating installed

This is nice. I like it is face forward.
#226435 - in reply to #226431
Author
Posted 1/27/2015 12:17 PM
Tommaso

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle(s): G320, w463, m104 I6
Re: 3rd row seating installed

Nice job! I kept the jump seats, added seat belt (they work very badly) and trained the 6yo to take care of the newborn!
#226437 - in reply to #226431
Author
Posted 1/27/2015 12:40 PM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213
RE: 3rd row seating installed

Looks great. Do they have a option for headrests?
#226438 - in reply to #226431
Author
Posted 1/27/2015 1:59 PM
po-porsche
Regular

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle(s): 2003 Mercedes G500, 1984 Porsche 911
Re: 3rd row seating installed

Yes. They have optional headrests. But, just like all their options (shoulder belts, child-seat tethers, etc.), it can only be added at the time of purchase. Meaning, I cant add head rests to mine now. Since all seats are custom made to order, they actually build them differently depending on the options chosen.
#226444 - in reply to #226431
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1