Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : MB Star diag software

Page 1 of 1 1
MB Star diag software
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/24/2015 3:07 PM
loowee

Date registered: Oct 2014
Vehicle(s): G-class G500 w463 2002
MB Star diag software

Hey guys !

I was wondering what was the cheapest diagnostic solution for a G-W463 2002 and if there was an alternative to the MB star diag system.

I'm still having a problem with my G-class back door that has no communication whatsoever after running new wiring and I think a diag software could be a great tool in the long run.
Also, I was wondering if there was a way to disable in-dash errors such as license plate lights I am not using anymore along with new bumper. It's very annoying to have to aknowledge these lightbulb errors everytime I start the truck.

Any suggestions ? I read about a C3 software that seems to be compatible but will I need extra hardware to make it run ? I have a OBDII elm327 installed and although the specs mention error code reports, nothing else than speedometer or basic dash information shows up on my Car-PC interface.

Thx !
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/24/2015 6:24 PM
djdinaz
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 03 G55
Re: MB Star diag software

License plate lamps are routed through the rear SAM (N10/2).. Unfortunately, the diag software doesn't have functionality for disabling an individual circuit. There are advanced developer functions available (on some versions), but unless you're <I>really</I> fluent in German (which I'm not) it'd be a crapshoot as to whether you could tweak a six or seven hundred dollar control unit into thinking some 4 dollar bulbs aren't present (a lot of the advanced controller encoding functions are only in German).

A workaround would be to wire some resistors into the connector where the license plate lamps run through to fool the control unit into thinking they're still there. (the connector resides on the right hand side of the recess where the cd changer resides -- X92/3, pin 4 is the right lamp, pin 8 is the left lamp). Or if the bulb hardware or wiring is still there, wire a resistor in instead of a bulb -- so long as it consumes the same amount of power (I think those bulbs are only 5W) the controller would be none the wiser.

What are the symptoms you're having with your back door? Lock? Defroster? Wiper? Brake Light? There's not much to the back door wiring, and pretty much all of it runs through a connector next to the CD changer.

Edited by djdinaz 2/24/2015 6:36 PM
#226930 - in reply to #226922
Author
Posted 2/24/2015 7:34 PM
loowee

RE: MB Star diag software

Great, I was thinking about resistors, that's what I'll do.

Regarding the door, just noticed we discussed this in the following thread.
http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=21950&po...

Having a hard time tracing the cable line path from CAN connector to the door frame but I'll try to dig even more, any idea if there is a schematic that's always showing the trajectories somewhere ?

thx again for your help DJ !
#226932 - in reply to #226922
Author
Posted 2/25/2015 9:44 AM
djdinaz
Extreme Veteran

Before tearing the interior apart tracing a CAN wire, it would be easier to swap a door controller in that you know works..

For example, if your passenger rear door is acting up, take the controller from the drivers rear door, wire it into the door with issues, and see if the functions still work. Rear doors only have windows, entry lights and locks on them.

If you do this, the known good controller would respond to control functions for the door you removed it from (e.g. window up/down, lock, etc.). If you still get nothing, then it'd be time to start tracing that connection.
#226943 - in reply to #226922
Author
Posted 2/25/2015 11:02 AM
loowee

RE: MB Star diag software

Ohhh, great suggestion, I thought these modules were addressed differently. Ill try this out first, thx !
#226944 - in reply to #226922
Author
Posted 2/25/2015 12:33 PM
djdinaz
Extreme Veteran

Think of CAN bus like a computer network. Each device (e.g. controller, SAM, etc.) connects to a hub, and each device has it's own address on the network.

Moving a control unit to a different port on the hub doesn't alter the address it uses to send/receive data on the network. (the exception being the A/B networks, the A network is under the hood and runs at a slower framerate, and the B network runs everything else -- the ignition switch control unit on a G acts like a network switch between these two networks. You couldn't plug in a door controller into the CAN under the hood and have it respond like you'd expect).

Edited by djdinaz 2/25/2015 12:34 PM
#226946 - in reply to #226922
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1