Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : It all makes sense now . . . .

Page 1 of 1 1
It all makes sense now . . . .
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/15/2015 10:07 PM
Floobydust
Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle(s): 1995 E320 Cabrio, 2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8
It all makes sense now . . . .

As many of you know I have spent a lot of time and money chasing the vibration(s) from hell on my G500. The details of my exploits, and the helpful feedback I received from various forum members is chronicled primarily in these two threads:

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=22081&mi...

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=21688&mi...

As is apparently often the case on a G, "one" vibration was really many. And I have slowly (and painfully) eliminated all of them except one, the one that bothered my the most from the beginning - the 59 MPH to 62 MPH rumble. I though I finally had it licked when I determined that the transfer case was vibrating and so I replaced it. Nothing could measure the depth of my disappointment when the vibration failed to disappear. I was quite ready to throw in the towel. But I decided to give a little more effort.

To that end, I took the G back to my Indie again and he had big enough balls to flog it hard and then run in hard on the lift and sure enough, he found that the front different pinion is vibrating quite nicely. Everything else is solid and quiet. The pinion is tight, so he thinks that the issue is pitting on the race or one of the balls in the outer pinion bearing.

So why the title of this thread? Well, because when I first got the G I noted that the front TC seal was leaking. I also noted that the sealing surface on that flange has an unusual pattern on it. And as I stated at my moment of despair after replacing the TC, doing that helps considerably, but did not banish the problem. It now turns out that I actually had two problem - one and issue in the pinion that was causing vibration to be sent along the front drive shaft to the TC and make it vibrate, which it turn caused premature wear on the bearings of the TC output shaft, thus making them vibrate as well. Or it could happened the other way around with the problem starting at the TC and affecting the pinion. Who knows. It does not matter at this point.

But this had left me with the one seemingly insurmountable problem on a G - the front differential assembly. New axles assemblies cannot be had, used ones are made of unobtainium, and people who can rebuild them (especially on the east cost/New England) are almost as rare. The G has caused me to push my mechanical sills beyond where I thought they could every go, but the front diff is way above my pay grade.

So I would like to ask the forum members for some help on this - people who rebuild, source of used axle, something else. I feel that I come a long way and I'm almost there (except for the now reduced vibration, the truck drives like a new M113/722.6 G wagen). I've come too far to let this last thing stop me.

Thanks in advance,

- Scott (FD)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/16/2015 12:36 AM
NYG500

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle(s): 2007 G500
Re: It all makes sense now . . . .

Contact Vlad at fourbyfour club I thought I had a problem similar to yours but traced it down to bushings. But when I thought I was looking at a axle problem he mentioned a shop in Brooklyn that could do an axle/diff rebuild on a G. You could also give Wolfgang's in Tenafly NJ a call. I know both are a bit far for you coming from MA.
#227261 - in reply to #227258
Author
Posted 3/16/2015 6:58 AM
AtomicPlayboy

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): '15 Leaf, '89 F250... G again someday
Re: It all makes sense now . . . .

NYG500 - 3/16/2015 12:36 AM

You could also give Wolfgang's in Tenafly NJ a call. I know both are a bit far for you coming from MA.

+1 on Wolfgang. As for a little far, I used to drive up from Northern Virginia and always considered it worth the trip. Walking distance side trip to Tenafly Kosher Deli is a must (they're closed for Passover though so double check your calendar if you're coming down soon).

Edited by AtomicPlayboy 3/16/2015 7:01 AM
#227262 - in reply to #227261
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1