Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Front Differential Bearing Replacement

Page 2 of 2 12
Front Differential Bearing Replacement
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/6/2015 9:46 AM
Floobydust
Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle(s): 1995 E320 Cabrio, 2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8
RE: Front Differential Bearing Replacement

fernweh - 5/5/2015 7:23 PM I'll be driving to Vance, AL and Atlanta, GA next week.....could pack that heavy tool as an anchor, for the "off-roading" in the woods there.

Sounds like you will be at the Treffen. I wanted to go, but my wife has instead scheduled me for a 10 glorious days with the in-laws.
#227936 - in reply to #227918
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/22/2015 12:22 PM
Floobydust
Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle(s): 1995 E320 Cabrio, 2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8
RE: Front Differential Bearing Replacement

The front diff work is now completed so I thought I would post an update. But before I do that, I would like to thank everyone for their advice , input, loan of tools, etc. The forum members are the best!!

The R&R of the front axle and diff went surprisingly well - two evenings for the removal of the front axle, a day for the diff bearing replacement, and two days for reassembly. In addition to the diff work, I also ended up replacing the right CV joint as the boot clamp had let go which toasted it. I had to replace the entire axle assembly because the circlip broke off, permanently locking the joint to the axle stub. Alas, I guess that's in line with MB's new business model anyway.

The results have been a mixed bag. The pronounced audible grumbling and vibration that occurred sharply at 59- 61 MPH has now been replaced by lesser vibration that occurs over a much wider range of about 50 to 65 MPH. In a way this is an improvement because it tends to be masked by road noise and the stereo. The original vibration was almost impossible to ignore.

But it's still not what I think a G should (having driven others), but I have exhausted just about everything, including myself. So my plan is that when the weather gets a little cooler, I'm going to remove the front drive shaft to one more time just to rule out any damage to it from the pinion. Depending on the results of that I will either replace the front drive shaft or put it back in and just drive the truck as it is.

Thanks again everyone,

- Scott

#229077 - in reply to #227835
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12