Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Help With Achieving Proper Lift

Page 1 of 1 1
Help With Achieving Proper Lift
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/18/2015 8:45 AM
Cruiserdds
New user

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle(s): 230GE with 2.5 om602 Turbo diesel swap

Help With Achieving Proper Lift

I am in the process of getting my engine swapped to the 2.5 turbo diesel om602. These pictures are of the G with the engine removed. I like the height of the front without the engine in. I am currently running Sachs yellow orange springs (997 698) front and rear.

With the Red/White spring combo will the truck sit level (when the engine is in) and will I gain height over the Yellow Orange Springs? From my understanding the red is a lift spring and the white is a load bearing spring. Will white rears give me any lift? Will the truck sit level? Is anyone who is running this combo unhappy with the trucks stiffness? Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Photo removed to be resized.

(resized g.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments resized g.jpg (212KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/18/2015 9:03 AM
Cruiserdds
New user

RE: Help With Achieving Proper Lift

This is what it looked like with the worn 32x11.5 road tires on it and the 2.3 four cyl in it. My concern is that the 2.5 turbo diesel will weigh more and make the front lower than the back

($_3 (1) (1).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments $_3 (1) (1).JPG (68KB - 0 downloads)
#228190 - in reply to #228189
Author
Posted 5/18/2015 10:45 AM
Megardt

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle(s): Geländewagen -82, Geländewagen -94

Your truck looks amazing! Makes me want to respray and fix some rust right away...

It looks like we've got the same rim & tyre combination. I've got the original 15" rims, painted black. My tyres are 33x10,5 BF Goodrich KM2. I've got the OM602 turbo as well, with 5-speed box.

I went with Dobinsons springs and shocks which should give a 2" lift, however my old springs were pretty bad. This was the result:

To the beginning of the wheel arch (center) from the ground

Before;
rear: 86,5cm (34")
Front: 90cm (35,5")

After:
Rear: 95cm (37,4")
Front: 95cm

EDITED: Photo removed to be resized.

(dobinsons.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dobinsons.JPG (229KB - 0 downloads)
#228194 - in reply to #228189
Author
Posted 5/18/2015 11:30 AM
Cruiserdds
New user

Re: Help With Achieving Proper Lift

Your Truck looks great! Thats definitely the stance I am shooting for! I wonder how much my front suspension will compress with the engine in the vehicle.

If you don't mine me asking, where did you get the 250 GD emblem for your mirror? Also, how does the truck do with the om602? We do have the same wheel and tire combo... It looks equally nice with the white letters out!!! My G has the 4 speed manual transmission (Hope this still will allow me to do 65-70mph without stressing the engine too much).

I looked up Dobinsons springs... Looks like they are out of Australia. I will have to see if they will be willing to ship to me here in the US.

How do you like the snorkel? Thanks for the reply!
#228195 - in reply to #228189
Author
Posted 5/18/2015 7:13 PM
Titus Pullo
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle(s): '90 Wolf 240GD, '06 G270 CDI.

I would say: install your 602 first and see what will be the difference. Than take decisions, even simple front coil spacers might do the trick.
#228201 - in reply to #228189
Author
Posted 5/19/2015 2:12 AM
Megardt

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle(s): Geländewagen -82, Geländewagen -94

The 250gd emblem was there when I bought it but I think I've seen them on ebay from time to time.

The 602 lets me keep up with traffic but it's still aerodynamic as a brick so I won't set any speed records.

I usually do around 60mph but that's slightly over 3000rpm so it's usually my limit.

Loving the snorkel so far, bought it directly from Mercedes. The snorkel itself was around $50 but the metal thing holding it was three times more! It really feels solid though

I bought the suspension from a Polish company, they didn't mind shipping to Sweden but I'm not sure about the states!

The total cost was around $850, perhaps a bit more with shipping.
http://opony-4x4.pl/osprzet-off-road/zawieszenia-dobinsons-katalog/
#228209 - in reply to #228189
Author
Posted 5/19/2015 2:21 AM
512bbi
Expert

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 05G55kge,Range rover classic,clk55amg,ML 430

The springs take a set in height when new right away and then they change a little more in a few months and stay there.

Red white combo is an out of balance too soft front to white rears that can cause over steer easy on fast dirt.

After they set they all give close to the same height.

Before they set they look tall and the red ones are not a lift spring,they are the same as yours.

White all around, or white front and brown rear are a better ride and they are best to install all together so they brake in at the same time.

Front red ones two stripe are very soft as the yellow orange ones you got and the change in height is too little over yellow orange with the same weight.

If I gave you my old red ones to try before you changed anything with the engine, you would not know the difference from the ones you got in performance.

The whites are the way to go for better ride and very little lift not enough to hurt anything till they settle and after that you will still have a little more height than yellow.
Problem will be with rear white if you do not load some at the back for comfort you will be better of with brown rears or even the stock ones you got at the rear for even a better ride

Front whites give control and the spring rate is not high.

If I remember right they are hardly 200 pound per inch springs which is just perfect.

If it was my truck I would put the white ones up front let them set in height, and then if you got to load the rear with the stock ones you can try very small spacers and install some washers at your rear helper springs to protect the rears from compressing more than they should if you flex them all the way if you of road.

If you do not load the truck at all after the front whites settle, you will have a level truck and a great ride with your stock yellow orange ones at the rear.

Stripes on the front springs make very little difference and I would recommend one stripe white front for your truck

Mario

Edited by 512bbi 5/19/2015 2:31 AM
#228210 - in reply to #228189
Author
Posted 5/19/2015 7:52 AM
Cruiserdds
New user

Thanks for all the useful information. This truck has yellow orange springs with Bilstein shocks from when I bought it. How much do these springs lift over stock (I have nothing to compare it to). Do I already have a 2 inch lift with these springs?
#228212 - in reply to #228189
Author
Posted 5/19/2015 9:06 AM
diesel_jim
Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle(s): LR Defender 110, 1989 W460 SWB

I may be trying to teach you to suck eggs, but I know from my land rover experiences over the years, anything over a 2 or 3" lift tends to start causing other issues...

Mainly the steering feeling very twitchy and not self centering (although the G has a near perfectly horizontal panhard rod, so this'll help keep the axle centered in the chassis when the suspension gets lifted) but it was the radius arms that needed tweeking (read: bending) to rey anc bring the swivel pins back to the proper angle they should be to allow the steering to work/feel "factory"

Plus you also get stretched brake lines on full travel, and can get propshaft UJ vibrations.

All things to consider if you go too high.
#228213 - in reply to #228189
Author
Posted 5/19/2015 12:42 PM
GUIMO

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 85 280GE(sold) 92 300GE 2002 G500 SWB 63 220SEb

Recently I changed the springs in my G500 SWB, originally were 2 stripes yellow and did the red and White combo
it gave a 2" lift all around but, unfortunately I began to feel some vibrations and they came from the rear prop shaft,

Went back to the old springs and vibrations are gone.

I wonder if it is because of being a SWB or, if I should have waited a bit longer and see if the springs set in height and
the vibrations will be gone.

#228216 - in reply to #228189
Author
Posted 5/19/2015 2:38 PM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213

The 250GD emblems are available ion the US from Eurotruck Importers or Fourbyfourclub
#228217 - in reply to #228189
Author
Posted 5/19/2015 6:43 PM
512bbi
Expert

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 05G55kge,Range rover classic,clk55amg,ML 430

GUIMO - 5/19/2015 10:42 AM

Recently I changed the springs in my G500 SWB, originally were 2 stripes yellow and did the red and White combo
it gave a 2" lift all around but, unfortunately I began to feel some vibrations and they came from the rear prop shaft,

Went back to the old springs and vibrations are gone.

I wonder if it is because of being a SWB or, if I should have waited a bit longer and see if the springs set in height and
the vibrations will be gone.

The ideal way to do this would be to go on scales then follow the MB charts and you will know exactly where your height will be with broken in springs.

I am sure the short wheel base must be a lot lighter and white springs would really give some lift.

They do settle a lot from new.

Mario
#228221 - in reply to #228216
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1