Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : bad pulley bearing - again

Page 3 of 3 123
bad pulley bearing - again
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/18/2016 2:29 PM
BlueG
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500
Re: bad pulley bearing - again

For better or for waste I have put 3 pulleys on my G since ownership. None have outright died. One made a touch of noise, and it was replaced with an aftermarket (but not chinese) pulley. From there I just popped another one on about every 20-25K. They're pretty cheap on eBay and easy to replace out. If anyone is wondering whether their pulley is about to go - just pop on a new one and you're good to roll. You could get the metal pulley but the bearing is still the bearing - I would think just getting a whole new pulley as needed makes more sense.
#232141 - in reply to #229264
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/19/2016 10:59 PM
NHDave
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle(s): 2004 AMG

BlueG - 4/18/2016 2:29 PM For better or for waste I have put 3 pulleys on my G since ownership. None have outright died. One made a touch of noise, and it was replaced with an aftermarket (but not chinese) pulley. From there I just popped another one on about every 20-25K. They're pretty cheap on eBay and easy to replace out. If anyone is wondering whether their pulley is about to go - just pop on a new one and you're good to roll. You could get the metal pulley but the bearing is still the bearing - I would think just getting a whole new pulley as needed makes more sense.

We are talking idler pulley here and not tensioner pulley....

I would have to agree here on the idler pully, especially after replacing the belt for the first time and figuring out how easy it is releasing the tension, allows ease to simply replace the idler pulley.  

I have noticed via posts here, using metal verses plastic OEM has its pit falls. Plastic dissolves when the bearing fails, (probably a design feature) allowing the tensioner pulley to free up enough play to the belt, allowing slippage and signaling failure.

Metal pulley + bad bearing seizure, holds the tension of the belt to all shaft's, exerting extreme tension, leading to bent bolts or shafts before the belt can disintegrate in time.

I can see the benefits of metal pulley's in very high heat, dirt, mud environments, with replaceable bearings though, but only if one is attuned in noticing any abnormality in belt drive sound.

Bottom line, if you hear a squeaking noise in the front of the engine, act on it before its too late.

#232155 - in reply to #232141
Author
Posted 4/19/2016 11:41 PM
BlueG
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500

NHDave - 4/19/2016 10:59 PM

BlueG - 4/18/2016 2:29 PM For better or for waste I have put 3 pulleys on my G since ownership. None have outright died. One made a touch of noise, and it was replaced with an aftermarket (but not chinese) pulley. From there I just popped another one on about every 20-25K. They're pretty cheap on eBay and easy to replace out. If anyone is wondering whether their pulley is about to go - just pop on a new one and you're good to roll. You could get the metal pulley but the bearing is still the bearing - I would think just getting a whole new pulley as needed makes more sense.

We are talking idler pulley here and not tensioner pulley....

I would have to agree here on the idler pully, especially after replacing the belt for the first time and figuring out how easy it is releasing the tension, allows ease to simply replace the idler pulley.  

I have noticed via posts here, using metal verses plastic OEM has its pit falls. Plastic dissolves when the bearing fails, (probably a design feature) allowing the tensioner pulley to free up enough play to the belt, allowing slippage and signaling failure.

Metal pulley + bad bearing seizure, holds the tension of the belt to all shaft's, exerting extreme tension, leading to bent bolts or shafts before the belt can disintegrate in time.

I can see the benefits of metal pulley's in very high heat, dirt, mud environments, with replaceable bearings though, but only if one is attuned in noticing any abnormality in belt drive sound.

Bottom line, if you hear a squeaking noise in the front of the engine, act on it before its too late.

Yes idler pulley not tensioner pulley.

I have only replaced the tensioner pulley once. I think in 2 years I will be due another idler. We should have an oil, filter, and idler changing calendar with our engines.
#232156 - in reply to #232155
Author
Posted 5/4/2016 12:45 PM
colsG55
Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle(s): G55 Classic 2000, TD5 110, 200 Series Land Cruiser

Time for an update.

I have the alloys pulleys fitted and the idler bearing was on it way out but not the main source of the noise. My tensioner pulley was also a little strange as the bearing is loose in the pulley behind the circlip allowing the pulley to float on the bearing which is not real good, so I have re-fitted an origional plastic tensioner pulley until I can get another replacement alloy one.

The main source of the noise was from the front bearing in the alternator, I have replaced both bearings in the alternator and fitted a new regulator whilst I was at it.

As it was all in bits I decided to replace the water pump whilst I was at it to save needing to strip it down again at a later date and there was a bit of movement in the impeller shaft so it was nearing the end of its life.

I briefly fired it up and it is now nice and quite but I now have a leak from the engine oil cooler lines and need to replace the seals but finding new seals is proving to be easier said than done.

I think I will start replacing the idler and tensioner pulleys or bearing every 50k to save running into any grief as it is ok doing the job on a cold engine but I would hate to need to be doing it on the side of the road with a hot engine.

I found another use for my IPhone and have a PDF of the belt fittment saved and it is very handy when refitting the belt, with the phone on the engine with and the belt and pulley diagram in front of you, it saves a lot of head scratching trying to refit the belt.

Edited by colsG55 5/4/2016 12:52 PM
#232261 - in reply to #229264
Author
Posted 5/4/2016 9:49 PM
NHDave
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle(s): 2004 AMG

Engine cooling line leak, AMG?
#232265 - in reply to #232108
Author
Posted 5/5/2016 12:18 PM
colsG55
Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle(s): G55 Classic 2000, TD5 110, 200 Series Land Cruiser

NHDave - 5/4/2016 5:49 AM

Engine cooling line leak, AMG?

Sadly this is one of the few times you wish you didn't have an AMG, I am guessing these seals are in an AMG supplement which for some reason we're not incorporated into the main EPC.
#232270 - in reply to #232265
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 3 of 3 123