Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : MB STAR Diagnostic System

Page 2 of 2 12
MB STAR Diagnostic System
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/1/2016 11:08 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle(s): 500 GE, G55, LM002, H1
Re: MB STAR Diagnostic System

You are right, he must have removed it.

#233728 - in reply to #231416
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/2/2016 2:04 PM
kotton
Regular

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle(s): 2006 G-500

NHDave - 9/1/2016 3:39 PM

Get ready for putting in some serious hours, first setting up a VM on your computer or laptop, onto debugging/bypassing MB security protocols, changing all sorts of settings, serial port, Lic-dir. on and on and lastly, trying to learn how to use it, as illustrated online. Then, without knowing, one part of the multiplexer works but not the other, i.e. DAS/Zentry/ Star finder, cable connection failures.... Run a Cesar software test, check this check that..........
The one time I thought it worked, Quik Test told me all my O2 sensors where beyond their life cycle, so I bought all four, $500+, erased the codes, put them in and still got the same test results.

After this O2 event, I put six weeks, every spare moment into trying to get this thing working as it should... Got soooo sick of the whole process of constantly searching online, looking at all possibilities/remedies.
My last attempt was to check the circuit board for poor soldered components. I bought a giant magnifying glass, checked every suspect looking soldered connection (many BTW), in the Multiplexer boards. Next was to test certain relays, this is where I dropped off, had enough!

I bought a complete set up from Rugged Computing UK for $1300, dedicated Panasonic tough-book and multiplexer. Thought I did my research but still turned into a nightmare!
Great customer service, when you could reach them, but poor overseas connection while doing team-viewer.

I would've loved to use this more but lost my stomach for it. I'm now convinced I could possibly do more harm to the truck if I kept trying to use this setup.
For instance, one evening, I found myself in Control unit ME-SFI, (related to engine management) while trying to understand why the new O2 sensors are not being recognized. Found myself in a spot where I was unable to back out of a total reprograming of the ECU.
"Program time.... 25 minutes"!!!!!!
Sweating bullets for 25 minutes, not knowing if I screwed myself, will the engine start or not.
At the end........... the truck started!
No more of this crap for me!

Ever since I've purchased this thing, I've asked myself why did I think I needed it when I have a great Indie around the corner with 35 years experience on all german autos.

My experience may not be yours.
If you would like a Tough-book laptop, loaded with MB C3 software let me know.

Best of luck with your SDS

Well my butt is thoroughly puckered at this point after reading that. I'm relatively good with computers but I bought a dell D630 for this for $70 with windows xp and intend to separate that from any network in the house. I'm just going to keep my fingered crossed and go slow and see how it goes. I will be very cautious with what I'm doing so I try not to find myself in the situation where I'm waiting 25 minutes to figure out if I killed the G or not.

I honestly only wanted this system to change my gear ratio and tire sizes to get rid of esp issues, as well as letting the system know command is no longer in the vehicle so I can set my clock via instrument cluster. With the bonus of having all the part numbers and maintenance instructions/videos.
#233749 - in reply to #233711
Author
Posted 9/8/2016 1:06 PM
kotton
Regular

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle(s): 2006 G-500

Well I was able to put it together and open it up. I made the mistake of ordering the external hard drive as I was planning on using my usual laptop, but after reading about all the spyware and viruses that come with these programs I bought a super cheap dell D630 for $60 to dedicate to this. If I had to do it over again I would have opted for the dell hard drive from the retailer instead of the external one I have, because now I run a windows XP virtual machine on a windows xp machine. It works fine , but just adds an extra layer that isnt needed.

The Vmware software that came with it did not install because it had a corrupted file, so I downloaded Vmware Player on a different pc and transferred it via thumb drive. At this point I stopped because I want to get another hard drive to clone this system to before I move forward. I did try to open the EPC but was hit with a error stating I didnt have a "startkey" so my next adventure will be getting all the keys generated and in the proper locations for the programs to run.
#233804 - in reply to #231416
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12