Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Front Runner g bumper observations.

Page 1 of 1 1
Front Runner g bumper observations.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/15/2016 10:48 AM
colkrang

Date registered: May 2015
Vehicle(s): 2004 G500
Front Runner g bumper observations.

I just got my Front Runner bumper from Mastodon and wanted to add some observations. And some pictures when I get back to a real computer.

1. New ones have the 463 hole drilled and a nut welded on the back.
2. You still have to cut the rear off of the drivers tongue due to the steering box mount. It has cut guides. Angle grinder and cutoff wheel FTW. I used zinc paint on the back of the arm to prevent rusting.
3. It looks like I need to source 460 bumper end caps as my 463s are too big by far.
4. Winch figment is very tight. I cut out the center section of my grill between the lower mounting holes to get some more clearance. In the end I had to make a bracket to move the winch solenoid forward 1". Otherwise I was in contact still.
5. Distance between the fair lead mount and winch was very low. Recommend low profile hardware there, and mount it first.

This bumper is odd to me. Lots of CNC cut parts, and the bumper is made well. That said it isn't like an ARB or ShrockWorks in that most edges seem to be good mig welding finished with an angle grinder. More like a very good custom shops work instead of a factory built piece. I'm not unhappy though. I would do it again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/15/2016 10:53 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Front Runner g bumper observations.

Have you compared it to the g-wagenaccessories.com bumper?
#232338 - in reply to #232337
Author
Posted 5/15/2016 11:07 AM
colkrang

Re: Front Runner g bumper observations.

I have not seen the gwa one in person, but I can see some differences immediately from pics.

The finish on the gwa looks like it's meant to be a clone of the finish on the tow pin bumper. Semi gloss powder coat. The front runner has a rough finish that reminds me of a semi gloss truck bed lining material. It may be powder coated but I have never seen this exact type of finish. When I get my gwa rear next year I suspect they will clash. The finish matches their roof rack.

Secondly the gwa bumper has a much fancier design with the extensive use of folded metal. The front runner does this for the main lower bumper sections but not as much the brush guard.

That said the design of the winch mount is as close inboard as it can be and adds little to the approach angle.

The bumper has two ears welded on to the upper bull bar in position to take tree wires, but I can't imagine why. The tree wires would have to go straight through the turn signals to get to the rack.

#232339 - in reply to #232338
Author
Posted 5/20/2016 12:55 PM
colkrang

I am quite curious as to what the part numbers for the W461 bumper ends this thing takes are. It needs the "wide fender" models of the 461.

I may just mount some LED rock lights on the ends instead to cap that area off.
#232398 - in reply to #232337
Author
Posted 9/11/2017 10:09 PM
WEBIII
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle(s): 461.318, 463.241

Any pics of this? What did you end up doing for the end caps?
#237169 - in reply to #232338
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1