Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : winch wiring to under hood post

Page 2 of 2 12
winch wiring to under hood post
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/28/2018 2:00 AM
imjustdave
Regular

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle(s): 2004 G500, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2006 Ram 3500.
RE: winch wiring to under hood post

fernweh - 6/29/2016 11:28 AM

I had written an install manual for the winch wiring harness, based on a 2004 G500.

please see the attached PDF.file.

One note of caution:

The MBUSA models, starting in 2002, have a main electrical distribution panel, next to the battery on the driver side,

and the remote +12V battery post, is fused in there. If you use this remote post with heaving winching, you might blow that large pre-fuse,

and that means "dead in the water"!

Good idea, to have some spare fuses, if you connect your winch cable to that remote post.

Karl

Karl

This is awesome info thank you for sharing, I'm actually in the process of wiring up a winch and this is priceless info right now. I'm thinking that maybe a dedicated line is the best option. Winch suposdley could pull 487 amps... so that 200 isn't going to work
#239027 - in reply to #232883
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/9/2018 6:06 PM
fernweh

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
RE: winch wiring to under hood post

imjustdave - 4/28/2018 12:00 AM

fernweh - 6/29/2016 11:28 AM

I had written an install manual for the winch wiring harness, based on a 2004 G500.

please see the attached PDF.file.

One note of caution:

The MBUSA models, starting in 2002, have a main electrical distribution panel, next to the battery on the driver side,

and the remote +12V battery post, is fused in there. If you use this remote post with heaving winching, you might blow that large pre-fuse,

and that means "dead in the water"!

Good idea, to have some spare fuses, if you connect your winch cable to that remote post.

Karl

Karl

This is awesome info thank you for sharing, I'm actually in the process of wiring up a winch and this is priceless info right now. I'm thinking that maybe a dedicated line is the best option. Winch suposdley could pull 487 amps... so that 200 isn't going to work

Thanks for your kind words.

So far I did not encounter any problems, mostly using my winch to help other people.....

Those pre-fuses can really create a problem, when you don't need it.
#239103 - in reply to #239027
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12