Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Intermittent starting problem 617a

Page 2 of 2 12
Intermittent starting problem 617a
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/16/2017 2:18 PM
sean

Date registered: Dec 2015
Vehicle(s): 88 300gd 460 swb right hand 85 280ge 617a turbo di
Re: Intermittent starting problem 617a

Any idea how to get fuel cut off working better?
wd40 ,Chem tool without removing and replacing.
#235790 - in reply to #235586
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/16/2017 4:31 PM
Fernando BR

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): G500/05 300GE/91 300GD/80

What kind of tank do you have? Iron tanks use to rust inside and small rust pieces can block the line, there is also the old diesel "alga glue" that stucks everything. I will disconect hoses and inject kerosen in the line
to see what comes out. Will also clean the tank with kerosen and after that air jet , change prefilter , filter , etc....Check connections and after that primary pump......Think its enough , i dont like to think about expensives prodedures....
#235793 - in reply to #235586
Author
Posted 4/17/2017 1:17 PM
sean

Tank is steel, and been cleaned recently. I did replace vent line that was kinked and leaking.
my problem with fuel starvation is the cutoff diaphragm on the ip
is not releasing cutoff, when key is turned to start.
this I believe is the answer to the whole problem with intermittent starting.
the cutoff on the back of ip will release fully if I disconnect vacuum line at key switch under dash. My new quandary is do I replace diaphragm on ip, it is killing the motor, seems most people the diaphragm won't kill motor so it is working in that respect. How and we're does the key switch bleed the vacuum out to cutoff diaphragm when I turn key to start. I think it must be by the key switch not very accessible under dash ,and not many pics of unit. Im thinking its a hole thats partialy plugged . It's not a very popular problem in the forums I'm just glad its not the mystery it was a day ago. Someone did mention in this thread plugged switch. Thanks
sean
sean
#235801 - in reply to #235793
Author
Posted 4/17/2017 6:06 PM
Boy G
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): Diesel G's: 617A and 602

sean - 4/15/2017 8:18 PM

Any idea how to get fuel cut off working better?
wd40 ,Chem tool without removing and replacing.

Removing the little cutoff valve piggybacked onto the ignition switch for cleaning and testing would be first prize.

Second would be to detach both vacuum lines that go through the firewall to the key paying careful attention not to mix them up on replacement. Using a syringe I would inject a little solvent like petrol into the line with the ignition switched off, ie the valve should now be open.

Gently blow with compressed air into one tube and the other should blow your petrol and any gunk with it. If you blow too hard you could detach the tubes from the little rubber union sleeves that joint it.

Switching the ignition on should then close the valve AND allow residual vacuum that is on the injector pump shutoff valve to equalise, ie fully release the fuel shutoff. If it is gummed up, or you have the tubes mixed, it can be the source of much strange trouble. Good luck.
#235803 - in reply to #235790
Author
Posted 4/17/2017 7:05 PM
sean

Boy g
I think it's you that wins first prize on the diagnosis.
I must admit I remember reading your post way back when.
I was of the idea adding a bit of throttle would overide the cut off,I was wrong.
I have yet to remove and clean key vac switch but plan to,I may try swapping the two lines and see if it improves.
I will say the trouble did seem to come on gradually as its only been running w this motor for 6 mnths.
anyone know inside vacuum tube at key to ip diaphragm or outside tube to ip diaphragm?
Thanks to all again
probably more to come.
This forum is a vast amount of minds coming together to solve the next brain teaser.
truly amazing guys.
sean
#235804 - in reply to #235586
Author
Posted 4/18/2017 6:09 PM
sean

Switched vacuum tube at key switch.
Fitting closer to key now goes to ip cutoff,other to vac supply.
hasn t reared it's ugly head since hooray what a relief. Hope this is the end of that.
Stay tuned. Ha
sean
#235815 - in reply to #235801
Author
Posted 4/29/2017 6:23 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Nice! Glad it's running better. As you can see by the plumbing, if that key switch vacuum valve should begin to leak by, it can shut the engine down at any time. Always a good idea to try pulling the tube off that valve any time the engine won't start, but especially if it shuts down inexplicably. The valve itself can be replaced independently of the key switch. Since you've had some problem with it, it might be a good idea to just replace the whole thing (valve, lines, and rubber unions) rather than wonder about it.

-Dave G.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Vacuum-Steering-Controls-Shut-off/dp...
#235901 - in reply to #235804
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12