Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Power Window Won't Close

Page 1 of 1 1
Power Window Won't Close
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/11/2017 1:47 PM
Howfred
New user

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle(s): 2004 G500

Power Window Won't Close

I've developed a problem with the power window in the rear door (driver's side) in my 2004 G-500. I first noticed it when I lowered the window. When I tried to raise it, it didn't raise (or wouldn't rise all the way).

I don't think there is anything wrong with the electrical; I can hear the power motor run, but the window does not raise from the open position. I can raise the window by hand to the fully closed position (that is by grabbing the window on both sides with the palms of my hand and manually lifting it to the closed position). Then I can use the electric switch as if to close the window normally and it will keep the window in the fully closed position.

If I forget and accidentally open the window ( say like using the open all windows function to cool a car in the sun), the window will go down (not sure if it goes down all the way or just most of the way), but it won't go back up again and I have to go through the same process, i.e. slide it up manually and use the up-switch so it will stay closed.

It sounds to me like the window might have somehow slipped off the ledge of the lifting mechanism. The side rails (channels) seem to be OK or else I wouldn't be able to manually slide the window. Puzzling thing is the window slides quite easily by hand.

I've looked at the forums but haven't seen anything quite like this problem.

TIA for any help.
Wash DC area.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/11/2017 8:43 PM
Floobydust
Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle(s): 1995 E320 Cabrio, 2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8
RE: Power Window Won't Close

Sounds like the classic window regulator failure. The windows regulators are driven (via a motor driven capstan) by cables the run around pulleys and inside sheaths, much like those on a bicycle. There are two primary places they fail - the nylon pulleys that the cable runs on can break or the cable jacket end grommets can pull through. Either of these failures can result in too much slack in the cable which can allow the window to be "pulled" or "pushed" up or down independently of the motor. In general, it has been my experience that if the pulley breaks, the regulator will jam right away and if the grommets fail, it will jam within a short period of time.

The good news is that MB has updated the design of the regulators to make them more robust but the bad news is that you have to modify your door to retrofit the new regulatory design.

#237004 - in reply to #237002
Author
Posted 8/11/2017 10:05 PM
BlueG
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500

Floobydust - 8/11/2017 8:43 PM

The good news is that MB has updated the design of the regulators to make them more robust but the bad news is that you have to modify your door to retrofit the new regulatory design.

Have they updated front and rear or just the fronts? I have updated fronts and I have a replacement rear waiting to go in but I don't know if its bolt in or modification needed like the front?
#237005 - in reply to #237004
Author
Posted 8/12/2017 10:00 AM
Floobydust
Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle(s): 1995 E320 Cabrio, 2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8

Now that you mention it, it think the "re-design" on the rear regulators was limited to just beefier pulleys so they will probably just bolt in. I repaired my rear regulators so I haven't actually had to replace them yet.
#237009 - in reply to #237005
Author
Posted 8/16/2017 1:18 PM
Howfred
New user

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle(s): 2004 G500

Re: Power Window Won't Close

Thanks for all your help Flooby & Blue. I'm sure there is no way to tell what has caused the problem without taking the door panel off.

I see you already had 'repaired' your rear regulator, Flooby. It may be too late for me to try that so I'm probably looking at the replacement part with beefier pulleys. Since its the rear door it sounds like there shouldn't be much modification needed. Any idea as to cost of the replacement part(s)?

I wonder if I can do this myself, or if I'm better off going to MB dealer or outside shop. I am curious as to how things work and probably handy enough to DIY but live in an apt bldg (w/enclosed parking garage but limited space). My main residence is across the country and I don't have any tools to speak of here.

Again thanks for your help and I'm appreciative of any ideas.
#237038 - in reply to #237002
Author
Posted 8/17/2017 8:16 PM
4x4abc

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500
Re: Power Window Won't Close

lifting mechanism rear without motor (motor never goes bad) about $320
http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info...

procedure is easy - you need a BIG philips screwdriver
part of the procedure here (shows front, but rear is the same):
https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Cars/Window-regulator-replacement...

Attachments
----------------
Attachments W463 Rear Door Panel.pdf (501KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments W463 Rear Window Regulator.pdf (343KB - 5 downloads)
#237049 - in reply to #237038
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1