Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 230g stalls under any load

Page 1 of 1 1
230g stalls under any load
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/21/2018 3:29 PM
jlager
New user

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle(s): 1980 230g

230g stalls under any load

I have a newly acquired 1980 230g with the m115 engine which idles fine in neutral and can be revved up no issue but if I put it in gear and let the clutch out and give it some gas, it wants to die almost immediately. Release the gas and it recovers. After first starting it, I can drive around a little bit, i.e. crawl around the parking lot for maybe 2 mins. Then it starts to die immediately upon any load. I have to rev it up a bit and release the clutch to make it just a meter forward at a time.

This has been done:

1. Spark plugs replaced
2. Distributor cap replaced
3. Fuel filter replaced
4. Compression has been checked and is within spec
5. Adjusted valve clearances
6. Carburetor cleaned and adjusted (to the best of my abilities but can’t be sure it’s absolutely correct)
7. Checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner as well as smoke test (blow smoke into a vacuum lines and see if it escapes anywhere) and found a very minor one that has been fixed
8. Fuel pump replaced (old fuel pump was not providing much pressure and was leaking fuel into the crankcase and mixing with the oil)

Something I tested while diagnosing the old fuel pump was to plug the fuel return line from the carb. I did that because I found the fuel pressure seemed too low and wanted to test what happened if I prevented fuel from flowing back to the gas tank. This actually made it run a lot better and what made me think the problem was the fuel pump all along not providing enough fuel. However after replacing the fuel pump, it didn’t fix the problem. I do have a lot more fuel pressure now so if I try the same test of plugging the fuel return, it floods the carb and fuel leaks out the top which is kind of expected I guess.

Any ideas what to look at next?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/1/2018 4:54 PM
bram_r
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle(s): 1984 MB 280GE, 1982 MB 300GD, 1986 Subaru XT 4WD
Re: 230g stalls under any load

As long as the fuel pressure is high enough to keep the float chamber full of fuel, you should not look for increasing fuel pressure.

Are you sure the main needle is moving freely and the air piston seal is in good order?

Anyway, I got a bunch of Stromberg pics and pdf's, if you send me your e-mail, I can forward them to you.

gr. bram
#238652 - in reply to #238584
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1