Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Non-Stop Ticking Sound From Engine Bay

Page 1 of 1 1
Non-Stop Ticking Sound From Engine Bay
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/8/2018 3:08 AM
Rangek1d

Date registered: Feb 2018
Vehicle(s): 03 G55 Brilliant Silver
Non-Stop Ticking Sound From Engine Bay

2003 G55 (M113, 5.4L, NA)

So I've had this odd sound from the engine since the day I bought it. I assumed it was the water pump, removed serpentine belt and the sound persisted so likely not the water pump. Has anyone heard anything like this? Any idea what could be emitting that sound? I thought maybe it was the rockers but they make more of a knocking sound, this is more of a ticking sound.

I uploaded a video hoping someone can work out where the sound is coming from:

https://youtu.be/SkEwE4qEQcs
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/8/2018 7:41 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo
Re: Non-Stop Ticking Sound From Engine Bay

Does the ticking speed up when you rev the engine? Have you pulled the plastic cover off and looked to see if any of the mounting brackets are loose? Also crawl under the motor and see if the ticking is louder. Check the exhaust shields to make sure they are secured.
#238892 - in reply to #238891
Author
Posted 4/8/2018 7:46 PM
NHDave
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle(s): 2004 AMG

My guess is the idler pulley or the belt tensioner pulley.
Shine a flashlight on the belt area and closely watch the movement of the small pulley's
#238902 - in reply to #238891
Author
Posted 4/9/2018 8:09 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo

Good call NHDave
#238904 - in reply to #238891
Author
Posted 4/9/2018 9:23 PM
paulunm
Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2015
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500

That's my guess as well, buy the aluminum ones from GWagenaccessories.
#238908 - in reply to #238904
Author
Posted 4/9/2018 10:28 PM
WEBIII
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle(s): 461.318, 463.241

Other possibility is exhaust manifold gasket leak. If that’s it then you might be able to see a little exhaust gas spitting from the leaky area.
#238910 - in reply to #238891
Author
Posted 4/10/2018 10:08 AM
Rangek1d

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.

So; to clarify, I removed the serpentine belt and that rough grinding / ticking sound persisted, which basically rules out all the pulleys and tensioner along with the water pump. I also found out I need to replace the hydraulic valve (Yay).

Now unfortunately I am pretty sure the sound is coming from the timing chain. The sound primarily originates near the engine oil cap and right below it is one half of the timing chain along with the guides. So now chances are one of the guides is broken and or the timing chain tensioner needs to be replaced, so likely the engine will have to be pulled out. I am just amazed as to how the previous owners were able to get an AMG engine to this level of disintegration, they left absolutely nothing alive in this engine and considering it's only at the 100,000 mile mark is scary.
#238915 - in reply to #238891
Author
Posted 4/10/2018 1:37 PM
thebigblue

Date registered: Jan 2012

First, if the timing chain has been stretch the noise you're experiencing must be quite a bit louder for a few seconds when firing up the engine, and then after a few seconds the oil pressure has been build up, and the noise level should fall a bit.

At least this was my experience before replacing the timing chain, mind you my experience is from a diesel OM 628 DE 40 LA engine, but i recon this must apply for the gas engine also...

Another note, I was also told that in order to replace the chain tensioner the engine had to be pulled, - turned out this was actually not the case. My favourite shop did some magic moves and actually did the chain tensioner replacement with the engine still in.

I was able to replace the tensioner twice before the timing chain replacement became obsolete. Again this experience is on a diesel OM 628 DE 40 LA (4.0 l V8 twin turbo). Might not apply to your gas engine, but best to investigate a bit.

Best og luck.
#238918 - in reply to #238891
Author
Posted 4/10/2018 6:27 PM
NHDave
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle(s): 2004 AMG

I'm shocked the timing chain could streach so early, in an 03.
Guessing..that shouldn't happen until 200-300K miles on an engine?
What is the milage on your truck Rangek1d?
#238921 - in reply to #238891
Author
Posted 4/11/2018 1:38 AM
Rangek1d

@thebigblue Yes the general sound does get less rowdy when the engine calms down, I will try and see if they can replace the components without removing the engine, saw a M113 engine on YouTube getting its timing chain worked on and they didn't pull the engine.

@Dave Yes I know right! I bought the vehicle at about 97k miles and it's currently sitting at 99k miles roughly. Yes these engines should be nearing timing chain components at the 250k mile mark.

Will be speaking to a mechanic tomorrow, will get rough quote. Will also phone dealer for the components, will keep you folks up to date with the struggle.
#238925 - in reply to #238892
Author
Posted 4/11/2018 4:18 PM
J.R.
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 00 G500, 09 911 4S, 11 Cayenne S, 86 280GE (sold)

As a former owner of a 1980 450SEL, I spent way too much time worrying about timing chain stretch even though it was like what we have today, a dual row chain. The culprit in that era was the early 1980s 380s with single row chain. Still many warned that the dual row chains of that period should be change every 100k.

A seasoned independent Mercedes tech in St Louis shared with me what he knew about "stretch". What appears to be happening is that the link pins (holds the outer and inner plates together and the roller spins on it) wears down. It starts on day one. With better designed chains in engines like ours, they should make it to 250-300k miles (notional) before the chain (and more) needs replacement.

As the link pin wears down, the sprockets that are being turned by the chain are also being worn down. Sprocket health needs to be looked at too when considering changing out the chain. Lots of discussions on forums about monitoring stretch, but little about the sprocket teeth. Abnormal wear pattern speaks volumes. Any hint of an abnormal wear pattern is telling one to change the chain now so as to avoid changing out the sprockets too.

The phenolic rails do break. But more often than not, it is because the chain tensioner is no longer able to do its job and the chain slaps the rail. Steel vs phenolic...steel will always win. If a piece of that rail gets between the chain and a sprocket, things go south quickly. It is a tight space and the odds are not in favor of good outcome. If you were to pull the valve covers off you would find brown to dark brown rails. New they are a cream color. They become discolored and brittle with time.

If the tensioner lasts the life of the chain, sprockets and rails, our notional 250-300k, then great. Ignore chain slap symptoms at your own peril.

Lubrication. Oil grade, weight, frequency and filter quality are all important. Over servicing does not necessarily take you beyond the notional 250-300k. Ignore the aforementioned items and the notional 250-300k will be reduced, markedly.

If you are not going to tackle the root cause search yourself, I would seek out a professional shop with a reputation for finding root cause. Pulling the valve covers and having a good look see with a snake camera might be in order.

Good luck and I hope it is something simple, like the chain tensioner or emissions control.

Edited by J.R. 4/11/2018 4:22 PM
#238934 - in reply to #238925
Author
Posted 4/12/2018 12:52 AM
Rangek1d

Hey J.R.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes agreed, we are planning to remove the valve covers first, have a look as that's the only definitive way of knowing. I did check out the pricing today, Guides/Tensioner/Chain all for $728 CAD which is a bit lower than I thought so that's slightly good news.

Anyway as soon as I have the valve cover off, I'll update you guys. Right now got another problem with a new pair of Nolden Led headlights I need to sort as well.

Asad
#238940 - in reply to #238891
Author
Posted 4/12/2018 5:19 AM
thebigblue

My diesel V8 is different - I know, but the chain tensioner was changed from the underside, removing the generator to make room ( - or maybe the starter - can´t recall it now). Later the timing chain was replaced with the engine in the car, most off the front of the car was removed, radiator, AC-condenser, inter-cooler i.e.

I opted to replace all rails, and all sprockets, although MB claims that changing sprockets is not required. Also changed the chain-tensioner (again), pulley, generator free-wheel and the water-pump.
#238946 - in reply to #238891
Author
Posted 4/12/2018 5:27 AM
thebigblue

Oh, - and if you end up having to replace the chain, remember to assemble the chain the correct way, we borrowed a special toll at a MB shop to press and lock the pin.
#238947 - in reply to #238891
Author
Posted 4/12/2018 1:35 PM
Rangek1d

Hey bigblue, yeah I imagine if we do perform the chain replacement then we might just do everything. Hopefully the timing chain isn't stretched and its just one of the guides paired with tensioners that's causing the chain to rattle as it hits the top cover. Btw, before purchasing this G55 we actually almost ended up buying a G400 out of Germany
#238950 - in reply to #238891
Author
Posted 4/14/2018 11:39 AM
JoeM

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): '03 G55, '67 LR 109"sw, '68 Travelall

I'm very familiar with the ticking noise - lifters is what the dealer told me, and they ultimately "found lifter end caps are loose and replaced all lifters on both rocker bridge brackets" (cams were fine) under warranty at 30k- it still made the noise sometimes when cold, but not when warm. - now with 170K, still quiet except occasional tick when cold.

Edited by JoeM 4/14/2018 11:40 AM
#238961 - in reply to #238891
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1