Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : General Mercedes-Benz Discussions : 3.5 V6 Questions

Page 2 of 3 123
3.5 V6 Questions
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/7/2006 3:54 PM
iNeon

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: 3.5 V6 Questions

taroliw - 7/7/2006 2:35 PM

But in this game Brand and messaging is key...

Silly me-- I thought it was just about building a great product. If you build a good enough product, you have nothing to worry about--

The Mercedes brand name, at this point, is the only thing they have going for them-- Save this 'But the Mercedes-Benz name is the hallmark for innovation, style, substance and craftsmanship" bullshit for other shuffed shirt types-- that all went out the window when they sought to cover every niche market in a blanket of swoopy plastic and fake chrome.

#29566 - in reply to #29560
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/7/2006 4:18 PM
taroliw

iNeon - 7/7/2006 12:54 PM
taroliw - 7/7/2006 2:35 PM But in this game Brand and messaging is key...
Silly me-- I thought it was just about building a great product. If you build a good enough product, you have nothing to worry about
So what's GM and Ford's excuse? I agree that you can't just market your way to a great product -- though Microsoft and others might suggest otherwise -- but you also can't achieve a something special by basically slapping together bits from others. That might work well if you were dealing with a comodity -- notice how often open and blatant parts sharing happens in small, inexpensive cars for example -- but when you're trying to marketing something upscale it just doesn't translate well.

The Mercedes brand name, at this point, is the only thing they have going for them ... all went out the window when they sought to cover every niche market in a blanket of swoopy plastic and fake chrome.
You mean after the Chrysler acquisition? Though I would admit that I haven't really been a big fan of Mercedes' expansion into every possible car segment. Entry luxury, like the C, I get. But why SUV's, for heaven's sake? After all, those who really wanted something unique already had a G-wagen; which although they wanted to kill after the GL announcement they have instead reported that the G will still be produced. To me, the ML, R, and GL are just "me too" models -- this is an area where i'd say "part and component share all you like," since it's commodity. But then I suppose it's somewhat telling that all of those models are built solely in the U.S.

To me, Mercedes' challenges came from wanting to (or or perhaps that it had to) compete with other brands that play in a variety of other segments. But by dumping Mercedes -- even AMG, which now just seems like a trim level these days -- on the market hasn't helped matters at all. It's difficult to keep quality up with unique products as you build volume, and you run into that problem of brand dilution. How is it meaningful to define one's brand to suggest "you've arrived" (and Dieter did just this recently) when you see them everywhere?

If Mercedes wants it's brand to be meaningful again, then it must reduce and focus. Why bother with being a volume leader when DCAG has Chrysler for that? Let Mercedes focus on renewing it's heritage and let Chrysler pay the bills. If you commoditize across the board, you might just as well collapse Chrysler and Mercedes into one. But then since brands are meaningless, that shouldn't be a problem... right?

#29572 - in reply to #29566
Author
Posted 7/7/2006 4:30 PM
iNeon

The point to all of this was that Chrysler's 3.5 is a great engine, and I just wanted to know if it was where Mercedes sourced the part--

It really doesn't matter to me which emblem is on the front of my car, it could be a pentagon like the old Chrysler logo, but with the crosshairs for all I care-- The biggest thing to me is that people be paid a decent wage that designed, produced and sold it to me-- I shall never support a company that refuses its employees a decent wage.

It is becoming harder and harder to support any company(for me) because of outsourcing and the like-- I am an American of German descent-- My family has always been in the automobile industry and so I support only German and American automobiles-- Ford brought my family here, but Chryslers have always served us better.

Better than a 'real' Benz, even-- it's skewed, though, since I bought the "real" Benz at 26 years-old;)

I still think there is more commonality between the two 3.5 engines that were seemingly developed simultaneously, by the same company, than any Mercedes owner will admit.
#29575 - in reply to #29572
Author
Posted 7/7/2006 4:52 PM
taroliw

iNeon - 7/7/2006 1:30 PM The point to all of this was that Chrysler's 3.5 is a great engine, and I just wanted to know if it was where Mercedes sourced the part ... I still think there is more commonality between the two 3.5 engines that were seemingly developed simultaneously, by the same company, than any Mercedes owner will admit.
Well, I can tell you that the M112 pre-dates DCAG and was Mercedes designed and built. In fact, they got a fair amount of ribbing over the 3-value design, although it was apparently done to improve cold emissions. The M227 is an upgrade of that same design, as noted in the PDF I linked to earlier.

As far what engines Chrysler is using, I haven't looked into it. When the Crossfire (which is almost completely based on the R170) and Pacifica were announced, any mention of a 3.2L engine and 5-speed automatic basically led me to understand they were lifting the drivetrain out of an E-class. Chrysler's differentiation then was the Hemi, basically.

As for the 3.5L, it's hard to tell from the very scant information Chrysler puts on it's site whether this could be the same engine. If it is, they've tuned it differently. It's delivering fewer HP at higher revs (M227 is rated at 268hp @ 6000 RPM and Chrysler states theirs as 250hp at 6400 RPM, and less torque as well). I wonder, too, if the so-called 2.8L V6 could be related to Chrysler somehow... ? That one is rated at 228hp at 6000 RPM.

I suppose if we were to walk up to one and pull the plastic cover off it wouldn't be too hard to tell if they were the same engine.

Edited by taroliw 7/7/2006 4:56 PM
#29580 - in reply to #29575
Author
Posted 7/7/2006 5:03 PM
iNeon

They don't take kindly to customers who want to disassemble the product before they buy it-- I've tried.
#29582 - in reply to #29580
Author
Posted 7/7/2006 5:09 PM
Dahappybanana

I suppose that the Nissan 3.5 V6 is also of the same engine? I mean it has 255 HP and is 3.5L.

As for being harsh to Chrysler, I have a reason, actually I have $3300 reasons and a lost vacation due to the transmission of a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee falling out of the Jeep, however it would seem that since they now use the old Mercedes 5-Speed that they got over that, but I still feel the sting from that car. Not to mention that the SA at the Chrysler place said that ours was a good transmission, that he had seen them fail at 30,000 miles instead of a bit under 60,000, to which I almost busted an artery because 30,000 miles is under warranty and 60,000 miles is not.

Also I the two cars in my family's garage are a W124 and a W163, the supposed last true Mercedes and the worst Mercedes. Well the W163 has outlasted the Jeep already and while the interior quality is lower then that of a W124 it is still a good interior. It has lasted and I hope it will last as long as the W124. I have also seen and been in the new W164 and W221 and I can tell the interior quality is much better.

The electrical problems for which you mention were not related to the engine I believe, the problems that plauged the W211 mainly were problems with the in cabin electronics, the 3.2 engine was a reliable workhorse, but was not competitive as far as power goes and I never thought it was peppy enough anyway. So the problems that the early W211s had were in interior electronics and not in the enigne or drivetrain.

I personally seriously doubt the two engines share any commonalites, I guess the one true way of knowing would be to disassemble the two engines and compare part by part. The only other way I could think of would be to compare the power curves, but I believe they are different anyway because they produce different power at different RPMs.
#29585 - in reply to #28946
Author
Posted 7/7/2006 8:46 PM
iNeon

You write a lot about nothing Mr. Banana.

My suspision has merit because the engines were developed by the same company, at the same time-- I never felt that I was so far off in left field as you present me to be by making such an absurd claim about every other 3.5 engine being the same one.

There are more parallels between the Pacifica and the R than people care to admit-- both use these 3.5 engines as well. Likewise the Commander and GL. Why would a company develop two separate sports tourer chasses(correct plural?) at the same time? Why two new full-size SUV chasses as the same time? Why two different 3.5 V6 engines at the same time?

It makes no sense to me why they would waste so much money developing redundant technologies for two different segments of their company and I only wanted to clairify it, this is not a "but Chrysler is just as good as Mercedes" thread, it is a long-time Chrysler owner who fairly recently purchased a Mercedes-Benz asking a seemingly simple question.

So now the question remains: Why would DaimlerChrysler waste their stockholders profit to: develop two separate engines, with the same output, with the same displacement, for the same class of cars, at the same time?
#29627 - in reply to #29580
Author
Posted 7/7/2006 9:15 PM
taroliw

iNeon - 7/7/2006 5:46 PM There are more parallels between the Pacifica and the R than people care to admit-- both use these 3.5 engines as well. Likewise the Commander and GL.
I certainly have no problem admiting that... but that's the first time you've mentioned these comparisons. Actually, the Pacifica (original) was reportedly based directly on the E-class chasis and drivetrain... hence the 3.2L with 5-speed auto. There was no GL or R for the Pacifica to have originally shared these components on such a long chassis in 1998, and the ML was a newly released model then. That was pretty widely accepted. The GL and R are known to be based on exactly the same chasis, but that is supposedly a modified ML chassis. And in fact they are all assembled in exactly the same factory. Is that enough parallel for you?

I do not know for sure where the Pacifica is assembled, but I don't believe it's Alabama. Needless, I'd suspect that the drivetrain sharing there probably hasn't stopped. But I would absolutely point out that it was Mercedes designed/built components that were shared. These were not sourced from elsewhere.

So, under the presumption that the Chrysler 3.5L is really the M227 I wonder if they will also get get the GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) version when it starts rolling out.

... It makes no sense to me why they would waste so much money developing redundant technologies for two different segments of their company and I only wanted to clairify it, ...
Well, so far the major chassis sharing seems to be happening in the SUV/light truck category. And, from Mercedes' perspective, this makes total sense. Why indeed would they want to drop big bucks on a segment where the driver is volume? I don't know what the plan in is the passenger car segments. I could see where basic drivetrains might be shared, but I seriously doubt they'd want to pressure the differentiation barrier between their luxury and non-luxury segments. And as an actual DCX shareholder, this is what I expect them to do... cost and component share where it makes sense, but don't ride the cost efficiency train all the way to Brand Dilution Station. That would indeed be the end of the line.

#29630 - in reply to #29627
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 7:01 PM
Dahappybanana

RE: 3.5 V6 Questions

My guess would be that it would go with familiarity and brand differentiation. The Mercedes mechanics, which are worldwide, are used to working with the M112 and as the training manual states the M272 is a modified M112 with DOHC and variable valve timing. Also Mercedes being German and Chrysler being American the bolts are most likely different. Furthermore, Mercedes has always used their own engine, as far as I know, and I'm sure there would be some people unhappy with Mercedes using a Chyrsler engine, as somebody stated it would then look like why buy a Mercedes when the same thing as a Chysler is cheaper. So far the merger has worked well at keeping things seperate. I hope that iNeon knows that the electrical problems were not engine related and the reason for the upgrade from the M112 to the M272 is due to performance. I'm not sure, but like most American motors don't the Chrysler engines use a lower compression ratio then German vehicles?
#30260 - in reply to #28946
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 7:06 PM
taroliw

Dahappybanana - 7/10/2006 4:01 PM I'm not sure, but like most American motors don't the Chrysler engines use a lower compression ratio then German vehicles?
The other thing I forget to share from reading the specs on the Chrysler site was that the Pacifica, at least, appears to be using a four-speed transmission, too. That could affect the hp and torque numbers reported, yes?
#30261 - in reply to #30260
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 10:19 AM
Dahappybanana

No it wouldn't. When manufactures tell you the HP and torque rating they use bhp (brake horsepower). They measure the numbers at the flywheel or crankcase of the engine. Due to regulations set in the 70s I believe all the emissions and other equipment that is vital to the engine must be on as it does affect power ratings. The only place a transmission affects the power is whats known as rwhp, fwhp or awhp (rear wheel horsepower, front wheel horsepower and all wheel horsepower) and that is dependant on what your vehicle uses. This power is measured with a dynometer and is often 10-20% lower then bhp. The number of gears does not affect the power, it affects how you can use it. You might have a slower 0-60 or lower top speed due to a transmission.
#30407 - in reply to #28946
Author
Posted 7/25/2006 5:37 PM
Syracuse315

I just got a couple calls on my car today, and if I sell it this week guess what car I'm most likely going to buy?

1999 300M, how ironic...feels nice I'm still somewhat driving a mercedes if this engine deal is correct.

(000000016221.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 000000016221.jpg (57KB - 3 downloads)
#32980 - in reply to #28946
Author
Posted 7/25/2006 5:41 PM
taroliw

It would be, but it certainly wouldn't be the 3.5. Didn't exist then. It'll be the 3.2 3-valve 6cyl with the 5speed transmission. IIRC, the 300 got the drivetrain from the then-current E. Interestingly enough, they've actually played on this in one of the current Dr. Z TV ads... the one where he jacks up a 300 and yanks out the rear suspension. :D
#32982 - in reply to #28946
Author
Posted 7/27/2006 2:57 PM
Dahappybanana

Well Chrysler now, repeat now, uses some Mercedes components, like the old 3.2L V6, however back in 1999, only one year after the merger, I would doubt that the merger was anywhere near developed enough to have component sharing, so I would think a 1999 would still have all Chrysler parts.
#33319 - in reply to #28946
Author
Posted 7/27/2006 3:10 PM
taroliw

The Pacifica and Crossfire were shared platforms from day one and were both out before 2000, IIRC. That's probably why drivetrains were shared as a whole, rather than pieced out. They hadn't had time yet to compare all the detailed specs to come up with a short list. I do remember reading subsequent interviews where DCAG execs made specific references to meetings and discussions about things like voltage and amperage ratings for electric components, etc that they were having. But by then they were indeed already sharing.

I'm not entirely sure what the status of the 300 was from the start, though.  

#33325 - in reply to #28946
Author
Posted 7/27/2006 8:13 PM
Dahappybanana

Engine Specifications of a 1999 Chrysler 300M:

3,518 cc 3.5 liters 6 V engine with 96 mm bore, 81 mm stroke, 10.1 compression ratio, overhead cam and four valves per cylinder
-Power: 253 HP @ 6,400 rpm; 255 ft lb @ 3,950 rpm

Specifications of a 2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK350:

3,498-cc DOHC 24-valve 90° V-6. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block. Alloy heads. Counter-rotating balance shaft. 10.7 compression ratio, 93mm bore, 86mm stroke
-Power 268 hp @ 6,000 rpm, torque 258 lb-ft @ 2,400 - 5,000 rpm
#33388 - in reply to #28946
Author
Posted 7/27/2006 9:40 PM
taroliw

Interesting, as none of MB's V engines were 4-valve in '99. Which leads one to wonder, is the 3.5 really an upgraded M112 or are we using tweaked Chrysler engine's from 1999? :D
#33399 - in reply to #28946
Author
Posted 7/28/2006 12:29 PM
Dahappybanana

Funny how that is how the topic started. I believe the 1992 500E was a DOHC but they just reverted to 3 valves per cylinder for whatever reason. The M272 engine training manual basically proves that is was an M112 due to the FSS plugins that are there but not in use.
#33505 - in reply to #28946
Author
Posted 7/28/2006 2:43 PM
Wolfgang

The latest on Mercedes V6es... Next generation, starting 2010 ro be shared with the Chrysler Car Group.

Chrysler may invest in Kenosha, 2 other plants
Company to spend $2 billion, trade publication reports
By THOMAS CONTENT
tcontent@journalsentinel.com
Posted: July 27, 2006
An auto industry trade publication is reporting that DaimlerChrysler AG is preparing to invest $2 billion at three plants, including one in Kenosha, as it prepares to unveil a new V-6 engine.

Advertisement

Chrysler Plant
By the Numbers
Workers at the Kenosha plant laid off indefinitely last month

Total employees at the Kenosha plant, according to DaimlerChrysler

Related Coverage
Earnings: DaimlerChrysler profit rises, but Chrysler Group goes into slump

Quoting union sources, Automotive News said DaimlerChrysler will seek to build engines for both Mercedes and Chrysler vehicles in Kenosha; Trenton, Mich.; and Toledo, Ohio.

Gov. Jim Doyle met with Chrysler Group President and Chief Executive Tom LaSorda in Detroit more than a month ago in a bid to show the state's willingness to pitch in to help secure an investment in Kenosha, Doyle spokesman Matt Canter said. Chrysler Group is the Detroit-based subsidiary of DaimlerChrysler.

Michele Tinson, a Chrysler Group spokeswoman, said the company has nothing yet to announce regarding the potential investment in the plants. A Mercedes plant in Germany also would make the engines, Automotive News said this week.

"We are reviewing the potential opportunities for each of those venues," she said of Kenosha, Trenton and Toledo. Tinson said a decision is likely to be announced before the end of the year.

In April, workers at the Kenosha plant agreed to work rule changes as a way to lure new DaimlerChrysler investment.

Last month, 214 workers in Kenosha were laid off indefinitely after the company decided to shift production of 4.0-liter engines for the Jeep Wrangler to the Trenton plant.

The Kenosha plant continues to employ about 1,050 workers, DaimlerChrysler said.

According to Automotive News, DaimlerChrysler is looking to invest about $500 million in Kenosha, $800 million at Trenton and $700 million at Toledo, with Kenosha projected as "probably" the first one to produce the new engines, which are expected to debut on 2010 model vehicles.

The new V-6 engine would replace four different types of V-6 engines now made by Chrysler plants, including those made in Kenosha, Automotive News reported.

Union officials in Kenosha couldn't be reached for comment Thursday, and they declined to comment earlier this year on specifics of the changes being sought by the company.

The Kenosha plant makes a 3.5-liter engine, used on the Chrysler Pacifica and 300, and the Dodge Magnum and Charger models, as well as a 2.7-liter engine used on the 300, Stratus, Charger, Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Magnum models.

The opening of the 3.5-liter engine line, in 2002, came after the company invested $624 million in a 450,000-square-foot expansion of the plant. The Kenosha plant was built in 1917 and was bought by Chrysler in August 1987 when it acquired American Motors. Vehicle production in Kenosha stopped in 1988.

Canter said Doyle met with LaSorda during a two-day trip to Detroit that also included a meeting with General Motors executives to discuss possible expansion opportunities for the Janesville assembly plant that makes full-size sport utility vehicles.

From the July 28, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
#33527 - in reply to #28946
Author
Posted 7/28/2006 2:55 PM
taroliw

Not to be presumptuous or rude (too late!), but I'm damn glad I got mine when I did!
#33529 - in reply to #28946
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 3 123