Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : G55 VS. G500 Snow Traction?

Page 2 of 2 12
G55 VS. G500 Snow Traction?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/20/2006 5:14 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
Re: G55 VS. G500 Snow Traction?

I'm very dissapointed with the 18" revo's because they have very little tread depth... i think less than the stock yoko's. Yes, they're more aggressive tread, but not nearly enough of it. It's like buying a tire with 35% wear right out of the box. 17" and 18" sized tires are nearly always coming with shortened tread deapth. you have to get the 20" BFG's before they loose tread depth.
#39708 - in reply to #38750
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 6:43 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4

Just a quick question here while we are on the subject of tires and BFG's... I have a nearly new set of BFG MT's on my G (they came with it), I love the way they look and they seem to tackle my needs fairly well. I really appreciated them this spring when I was hunting out on one of our ranches traveling through a walnut orchard. Severe rains and a mixture of sand and mud covered by a foot of water were just what these tired were built for, as is driving the slick mud roads on the way to the blind for duck hunting. However, I hear that MT tires are less than preferable for traveling to Lake Tahoe for ski trips when the ground can be icy, slushy, or in some cases after a good night of snow, a good foot's worth or more of snow blanketing the road. In addition, deer season has started here in California, (first saturday in August...too hot!!!) and the majority of my off roading is done climbing dusty rocky inclines with washboard surfaces and crosing washouts and sinkholes. Should I consider a move to BFG AT's with my next tire purchase? I'm currently running 32x11.5x 15's and the speedo has been recalibrated for this size tire.
#40249 - in reply to #38095
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 9:48 PM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320

Adoni - 8/22/2006 6:43 PM Just a quick question here while we are on the subject of tires and BFG's... I have a nearly new set of BFG MT's on my G (they came with it), I love the way they look and they seem to tackle my needs fairly well. I really appreciated them this spring when I was hunting out on one of our ranches traveling through a walnut orchard. Severe rains and a mixture of sand and mud covered by a foot of water were just what these tired were built for, as is driving the slick mud roads on the way to the blind for duck hunting. However, I hear that MT tires are less than preferable for traveling to Lake Tahoe for ski trips when the ground can be icy, slushy, or in some cases after a good night of snow, a good foot's worth or more of snow blanketing the road. In addition, deer season has started here in California, (first saturday in August...too hot!!!) and the majority of my off roading is done climbing dusty rocky inclines with washboard surfaces and crosing washouts and sinkholes. Should I consider a move to BFG AT's with my next tire purchase? I'm currently running 32x11.5x 15's and the speedo has been recalibrated for this size tire.

I don't know how to read this... Do you like the tires? Are they noisy? Do they stay in balance? Have you gotten stuck? Are they are hard ride, soft ride? Do the tires roll when you corner hard?

#40296 - in reply to #40249
Author
Posted 8/23/2006 6:00 PM
Fenalaar
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2001 ML270CDI, Polaris 400L Big Boss
RE: G55 VS. G500 Snow Traction?

Normally, MT tires (and also AT tires) won't do so well on ice - especially wet ice, since what you need for traction is lots of sipes, which normal MT (and most AT) tires don't have. For optimum grip under those circumstances, you need a dedicated winter tire.

BFG AT has much better siping than my summer tires (Yokohama Geolandar AT+II), but much less than my winter tires (Continental Ice Contact 4x4). BFG MT has no siping at all.

Compare these, and note the difference in the siping (siping is small cuts in the rubber - See Wikipedia article):
Decent for winter use - BFG AT:

Dedicated winter tire - Continental Ice Contact 4x4 (this one is studded):

Continentals 4x4 winter tyre without studs (Winter Contact 4x4):

Not so good on ice...
BFG MT:

Yokohama Geolandar AT+II:

Edited by Fenalaar 8/23/2006 6:06 PM
#40498 - in reply to #38095
Author
Posted 8/23/2006 6:03 PM
Fenalaar
Elite Veteran

(Oh, by the way - the Continental Winter tires wil not be suitable for use in mud or other off-road use)....

Johan-Kr
#40499 - in reply to #38095
Author
Posted 8/23/2006 8:05 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Braingears, i think he's just expressing concern over the performance of MT tires for winter applications.... which is valid based on their lack of siping. They can actually be the worst of all tires in icy/slippery conditions because of this fact... resently scrapped roads can be treacherous... even though it's not ice, the scrappers can pack the snow so hard it's like ice. That said, if you have access to a shop which does siping, and the MT uses softer rubbers (rather than harder which some use), then you could have a very competent tire.
#40538 - in reply to #40296
Author
Posted 8/23/2006 8:22 PM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
RE: G55 VS. G500 Snow Traction?

Compromise, compromise. There is no one tire that does it all. That said, the BFG AT KO comes as close as possible. The BFGT AT is rated as a dedicated winter tire. It rates right up ther with the best winter tires. It also wears decent, and has durable sidewall construction. It will clog up with mud though. If you want to keep the BFG MT's I would have the center tread section siped. This will great increase your winter traction.
#40544 - in reply to #38095
Author
Posted 8/24/2006 10:22 AM
Fenalaar
Elite Veteran

There are some enthusiasts over here that sipe normal AT or MT tires for winter use. This will work ok, as long as you take some precautions.

With 4WD and lockers, you will not be so likely to get stuck, but keep in mind that the traction is also used when turning and braking.

If you have ESP, it will help a lot in turns, but the most critical part is braking. The less traction you have on the tires, the longer the distance you'll need to stop in an emergency.

Keep your head cool, drive slower and increase the distance to the car in front of you when conditions are bad, and you'll probably be fine. Most crashes under poor conditions on the highway are because of people going way too fast for the conditions on the road.

Johan-Kr
#40710 - in reply to #38095
Author
Posted 8/24/2006 11:54 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Wow, that's a tough one.  You face some divergent conditions that are tough to serve with a single tire.  The competing ones being hardpack/ice performance vs deep mud performance.  If it were me I think I'd look at two things:

1- how often REALLY do I face each type of condition?

2- what would be my alternative, or what might happen if the tire reached it's limits?

You might find that one set of circumstances is faced more often, or one is more easily avoidable or handle-able with a sub optimal tire, or one has severe consequences at the limit.  Brutal honesty with your own needs and wants is the only way to handle this.  You're familiar enough with the performance of some possible tire choices.  Now it's down to WHY you should choose which one, and only you can perform that exercise.

I don't face deep mud very often at all, but I do like to have the off-road capability when I want it, and winter driving in the Rockies is a bizarre mix where I may have to drive 5-6 miles of hardpack and ice, but then reach a road that's clear and dry that I have to then drive for 20 miles.  Dedicated snow/ice tires burn up too fast on the proportion of dry roads I see in winter.  Most AT's pack up in the deep snow that I have to wade through 5-6 times a year.  I don't need a mud terrain tire and siped mudders are not as good as factory designed sipes.  And then also important, I drive the car 20k+ miles a year, so the tires have to last.

I've been through Dunlop, Cooper, BFG, Michelin, Bridgestone, and Goodyear in various forms and styles.  The ones I'm happiest with are the ones I'm about to by a second set of for the G - BFG Commercial T/A - Traction.  This tire took the place of the workhorse "TracEdge" tire when that one was discontinued a few years back.  For me they've worked fabulously in the snow and ice, even when half worn (the BFG A/Ts I ran were good in snow to start, but when half worn were not good at all), the lug shape and spacing works to shed mud and deep snow when I need to, and they held up for two solid years, and I wouldn't be replacing them now if I could drive another 6 months of wet/dry roads.  The trouble with the ComTrac's is they're not offered in many sizes.  I was THIS close to going to a BFG M/T in order to get a 255/85 (I run 235/85-16 now), but my decision analysis just couldn't support it over the performance of the ComTrac's.

For an AT tire that handles deep snow and ice well, Cheryl really loves the Bridgestone REVO AT's on her awd Astro.  She had them on her range rover before that and loved them there too.  I "gave" away a near new set of those tires when selling that truck and had to go out and buy her a new set for the Astro before the next winter.

-Dave G.  (calling to set up a new set of sneakers for the G right now.....)

#40719 - in reply to #40249
Author
Posted 8/24/2006 8:54 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Hipine, you're just rubbing in the fact that they don't make your tires in my size! I don't think they've even started selling the 265/75r16's. Curse you!
#40853 - in reply to #38095
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12